Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914: Cost of running compared to 944?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
schlag
Hey, I'm a college student and have a 944. It's actually quite a basket case of a 944 (I was stupid when I bought it, selecting one of the first ones that came along) but I've gotten it into quite good condition. The only thing left is the body restoration and some minor mechanicals.

Anyhow, I was thinking - after I get the 944 into the "near perfect" shape I'm aiming for, would it be prudent to pick up a nice 914 as a 'second car'? I ask, because I'm very tired of borrowing relatives cars when my 944 is down for upgrades or repair. I figure, with a 944 and a 914, at least one will be in working order at any given time smile.gif

I have some other questions.. compared to the 944, how is the 914 on maintenance? It seems like a much simpler design (a good thing). Also, how reliable of a design is it?

I work just shy of full time in the MIS/computer field as well as going to school, and while I don't make a -ton- of money, I make quite a bit more than most college students. Additionally, I commute to school and have no bills.
vortrex
be smart (or lucky) and they can be extremely reliable. like I've said before, I drove my '73 2.0 70 miles a day in bay area traffic for 1.5 years. this included crossing SF with 42 stop lights each way daily and through an el nino winter. it never let me down and I didn't have to do any work other than routine maintenance (tune up, oil, brakes, etc).

just get a SOLID one, something that hasn't had too many hands in it.
schlag
Yes if I were to purchase one it would be have to be solid example; because I am not a masochist, I will never repeat the foolery of purchasing a 'TLC' car again. The 944 purchase has taught me many a lesson.
seanery
I've got both a 914 and a 944 turbo and I actually bought another 914 in December. I can't wait to start driving the new teener (its in LA LA land until the end of the month). The turbo (& all the waterpumpers) are nice, but the simplicity of the design of the 914's and earlier 911's makes them a dream. Either can run a long, long time on standard maintenance. Parts are readily available (unlike the struts for the 951 which are virtually unobtanium) and there are quite a bit of newer parts being made that are superior to what the factory had back when.

Get a teener and don't look back, sell the 944 and buy a second teener if you have to have 2 cars! driving.gif
schlag
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 2 2003, 01:56 PM)
I've got both a 914 and a 944 turbo and I actually bought another 914 in December. I can't wait to start driving the new teener (its in LA LA land until the end of the month). The turbo (& all the waterpumpers) are nice, but the simplicity of the design of the 914's and earlier 911's makes them a dream. Either can run a long, long time on standard maintenance. Parts are readily available (unlike the struts for the 951 which are virtually unobtanium) and there are quite a bit of newer parts being made that are superior to what the factory had back when.

Get a teener and don't look back, sell the 944 and buy a second teener if you have to have 2 cars! driving.gif

Some good info, thanks.

I will probably keep the 944 since I've put such a god awful amount of time and blood getting it to the point it is at now. I think it is perhaps a superior daily driver because it has more creature comforts and is safer, however I would have no problem using the 914 as a daily driver if the 944 is down. If both cars are running well, the 944 will be the daily driver and the 914 will be the cruising to the beach/storming the backroads fair weather car and will reside in my garage smile.gif
EdwardBlume
I've got a 993 and 3 914s. The 914s are very fun, can be reliable, and may be less of a hassle if you're careful when buying. Choose unwisely, or get unlucky, and you'll have one less parking spot in front of your house (assuming a limited budget).

914s are very fun cars though.

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
Bruce Allert
After FINALLY figuring out what was wrong with mine I've had no trouble with it at all. (now I've prolly gone & jinx'd me self) hanged.gif I've been driving it alot and plan to start AX wit it & see what happens beerchug.gif
bruce
Dave_Darling
The 914 will have cheaper maintenance, but you will have to do that maintenance more frequently. The 944 maintenance costs more, but isn't done as frequently. The price difference is a lot smaller if you're paying someone else to do the work--the time to do the 914 stuff adds up.

They can both be reliable, they can both be POSes. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances. Learn from your 944 experence and don't get the first one you see just because it's a 914...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.