Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS/1.8 SCCA legal F prod motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
tomburdge
I may be selling the 1.8 ltr motor that Jake Raby(with head work done by Len Hoffman)recently built for me.It is still in the purpose built shipping crate and thus has "0" hours other then dyno time.
This would be sold as a long block with no carbs or exhaust.

This ain't gonna be cheap because I know(and you probably do to) what it costs to build a motor of this nature using the best components money can buy.
This is a 180hp motor and my asking price would be more then $5,000 less then it would cost to build it from scratch.
So if you need or want a motor with some "grunt"please PM for further details or contact Jake directly.He is willing to answer any questions you may have.
Please serious inquiries only.
Thanks,
Tom B.

MAKE ME A RESONABLE OFFER.IF YOU HAVE READ JAKE'S OVERVIEW(POST#13) YOU HAVE SOME IDEA WHAT THIS ENGINE IS WORTH.
KaptKaos
Damn... Too bad I still don't live in Hunterdon County. I'd love to see that motor (can't afford it regardless).

Free icon_bump.gif

F Ricky Proehl laugh.gif
JazonJJordan
180 dynoed? That's impressive. I was looking at the 2056cc (1.8 is 1793cc) and the 2.1 was dynoed at 125hp. I will be buying one of his engines, possibly (2) soon. But 180hp from 85hp stock is fantastic. What was your price? Thanks-
QUOTE(tomburdge @ Aug 23 2009, 01:42 PM) *

I may be selling the 1.8 ltr motor that Jake Raby(with head work done by Len Hoffman)recently built for me.It is still in the purpose built shipping crate and thus has "0" hours other then dyno time.

This ain't gonna be cheap because I know(and you probably do to) what it costs to build a motor of this nature using the best components money can buy.
This is a 180hp motor and my asking price would be more then $5,000 less then it would cost to build it from scratch.
So if you need or want a motor with some "grunt"please PM for further details or contact Jake directly.He is willing to answer any questions you may have.
Thanks,
Tom B.

Mikey914
QUOTE(tomburdge @ Aug 23 2009, 10:42 AM) *

Thanks,
Tom B.

Just to clarify, more than $5000 lest than it cost to build= $$7000 -$5000 or so. So, $2000 ish???

That would be a screaming deal! Or did you mean $5000.
Bump
JazonJJordan
Yep. Like I asked too; How Much?
(Tom- I see you're new- no problem(!) But rules require you to place a specific price~ please.
Thank you. That's why I was interested yesterday...
but? we need a price you know~(thanks).) idea.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 24 2009, 03:00 AM) *

QUOTE(tomburdge @ Aug 23 2009, 10:42 AM) *

Thanks,
Tom B.

Just to clarify, more than $5000 lest than it cost to build= $$7000 -$5000 or so. So, $2000 ish???

That would be a screaming deal! Or did you mean $5000.
Bump

for an F prod motor like this, double that... my guess anyway. I know a guy here that built a 1.8 ... you can't touch an engine like this under 10k
HAM Inc
$2,000.00 won't get you the heads! Many custom parts and lots of hours.
tomburdge
You guys are soooooooooooo..funny.Much better sense of humor then those folks over at the "club".

Before you get too excited,four figures won't even come close to buying this motor....but if you take those four figures ,lets say for conversation sake its $7500 and you multiply that x2, then you might be in the ball park.

You might remember that several years ago Mr.Raby had a rather spirited exchange with a member(on this site) who thought he would get a motor built by Jake which had all the bells and whistles for around $10,000.

Well, it was "no way","no how" then,and it hasn't changed much.

I'll just refer back to my original post."Please,serious inquiries only"......but you are always welcome to have some fun and dream.
Tom B.
nolift914
Is it so difficult to just name a price you want for the motor for the benefit of the readers of this thread. "Please, serious inquiries only" dosen't give the casual readers any idea of the true value of the motor. If you want $15,000 or $18,000 for the motor just say so. We will still have fun and dream.
tat2dphreak
his assumption was a valid one. if you know WHAT F prod is, and you know what 180hp costs in a 1.8... you get closer... I know a guy here built what I think he called an "E" prod 1.8 that had to have over 10k in parts... nickies, 2500 in heads etc... and that was just parts, all the custom work that went into cooling and balancing adds up even faster. the attention to detail is insane. this being a Raby engine, I'm sure it's every bit as insanely detailed.

that said, I think listing the price is a good idea.
sean_v8_914
some guys just like to read teh clasifieds and dream a little
how about some details?
markb
QUOTE(tomburdge @ Aug 23 2009, 09:42 AM) *

Thanks,
Tom B.

Hi Tom, I need a price if I'm going to consider your engine. Please adhere to the forum rules, as the rest of us are required to do. More details on the motor would also be nice, or you're only teasing. biggrin.gif Thanks.
Jake Raby
For those who don't know what an F prod engine is, I'll try to elaborate..

The engine is 1832ccs, heavily limited by class rules in SCCA F production. This means we have to stay with unwelded heads, 40mm carbs with a max of 36mm venturis. We can't run huge valves, big bores, stroker cranks or components made of Titanium inside the crankcase.

What this equates to is the most difficult engine combination that we build.. This engine costs more than anything else I build, including a twin plug 3 liter engine. The 3 liter is a joy to build compared to starting from scratch with an FP engine like Tom's.

I don't know what Tom is asking for his engine, but I know that I'd not touch another one like it for less than 23,500.00 turn key. They take hundreds of hours to design, machine, assemble and evaluate... The cylinder heads alone are a 5,000.00 expenditure.

I no longer build engines like this except for our own FP car.. Its impossible to charge enough for an engine like this, even the price I quoted is "low ball" to what the build is actually worth.

Turning 1800ccs into 180HP that can live for several seasons on the track at 7K RPM+ without failure isn't cheap, never will be cheap and it shouldn't be. After all it is a Porsche.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(nolift914 @ Aug 25 2009, 08:43 AM) *

Is it so difficult to just name a price you want for the motor for the benefit of the readers of this thread. "Please, serious inquiries only" dosen't give the casual readers any idea of the true value of the motor. If you want $15,000 or $18,000 for the motor just say so. We will still have fun and dream.

agree.gif
echocanyons

Hi Tom, I need a price if I'm going to consider your engine. Please adhere to the forum rules, as the rest of us are required to do. More details on the motor would also be nice, or you're only teasing. biggrin.gif Thanks.

Please post a price, per the forum rules.
roadster fan
Well Jake says $23,500-$5000=$18,500

Everybody happy now biggrin.gif

They shouldn't call it F Production, it should be called $$$ Consumption!

Jim
tomburdge
Ok,OK already.You guys win.

My asking price is $15,000 with not much wiggle room.Some of the stuff in this motor is proprietary which is why I'm reluctant to list the details .Besides at the national level in SCCA you don't show your hand to your competitors.
So,being a bit paranoid if you are truely interested in the motor ,PM me for details.

Tom B.

tat2dphreak
thank you, and imo, that is a reasonable price for one of these types of motors, with everything that goes into them.
sean_v8_914
sounds yummy
markb
Thank you! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.