Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone ever used D-jetronic on Individual Throttle Bodies?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gothspeed
Since it is manifold pressure based and manually adjustable, with some tweaks it should work ..... right??

My 914 is a 1973 1.7 ...... so I was thinking of going with 1911cc kit and tweaking the D-jet.

So just a question to see if anyone had tried D-jet Individual Throttle Bodies or if anyone thinks it would work? smile.gif

Is 100 HP possible from a 1911cc with ported exhaust ports, stock D-jet and stock cam?
CliffBraun
The way I see it it could probably be made to work with some adjustment. What the CB performance efi does for MAP is take vacuum from a tap on each throttle body and merge them to a map sensor (think they also do idle air motor on this line).

My question is why bother? do you have all the parts laying around? On a mild engine you're really probably not gonna gain too much through the less restrictive intake tract and you're adding a lot of complexity.

I'd say 100HP is possible from 1911 with ported heads and a stock cam, not sure about the EFI. I have stock two liter stroke and bore and nice heads and several other modifications and our official guess for power is 130-140HP.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Aug 23 2009, 11:58 AM) *

Is 100 HP possible from a 1911cc with ported exhaust ports, stock D-jet and stock cam?

no, the stock cam limits it too much
jcd914
I have though about this from time to time because I do have a set of manifolds and individual throttle bodies sitting out in the garage (or somewhere). The complications I foresee are the Manifold pressure hook up, Intake Air Temperature sensor location and the cold start valve location. I wonder if tapping all 4 intakes for manifold pressure would give a smooth enough vacuum signal for the MAP sensor or would it exaggerate the pulses to the point the MAP was confused.
Quite possibly the performance increase would be insignificant if the heads and exhaust can flow any more air that the stock intake can provide. But since carbs seem to wake up a stock engine I would think if the FI could provide fuel to go with the air from the individual throttle bodies then it should work as well as carbs.

Jim
Bleyseng
adding Carbs to a stock engine IMHO doesn't wake up the engine...using the stock cam is the limiting factor not the FI. Carbs seem to wake it up with all that noise they make.
Now adding a carb cam and dual carbs wakes upa 2.0L fo sure...
Dave_Darling
You can probably convince it to run, but it'll never run right. The massive vacuum fluctuations as the valves open and close will confuse the heck out of the system. You can even those out if you tap into all four manifolds and combine the signals, preferably with enough volume to damp the pressure waves. Which gets you back to having a common-plenum system, if the "taps" and the "combiner" are large enough.

I recall that some MS people have gone with a "combined" setup that uses throttle position from idle to half-throttle or so, and MAP above that. It sounded like it worked OK, a little bit better than a pure alpha-N system, but wasn't worth the bother. And that's on a completely-programmable system.

--DD
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 23 2009, 02:14 PM) *

adding Carbs to a stock engine IMHO doesn't wake up the engine...using the stock cam is the limiting factor not the FI. Carbs seem to wake it up with all that noise they make.

I'll have to disagree with that. I have a stock cam in my 2.0 with ported heads, long conrods and dual 40mms, and while it runs out of steam at around 6k rpms, it is much stronger than an injected engine.
gothspeed
I was hoping to not need a cam because I did not want to split the case sad.gif

As far ar the vacuum fluctuations .... after hooking them all together they can be dampened using a 'restrictor' ...... a sensitive vaccum gauge on it during restrictor sizing, can give a good visual on those disturbances.

..... the reason I was thinking about Individual Throttle Bodies was to hopefully gain a tad on the 1.9 ...... because the stock manifolds are sized for a 1.7 ...... not to mention ..... ITBs would look very cool ..... biggrin.gif
Chris Hamilton
Talk to Claudes Buggies performance about EFI. They have everything you need.

http://cbperformance.com/
gothspeed
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Aug 23 2009, 04:45 PM) *

Talk to Claudes Buggies performance about EFI. They have everything you need.

http://cbperformance.com/

Like these??? biggrin.gif

http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=412

The cool thing about this ..... if it works ..... I can drive around till I save up for 'programmable' FI to add to these ITBs should I decide to build up the engine futher smile.gif.

Chris Hamilton
I'm not sure the stock EFI system is going to be flexible enough to run something like that. It has a hard enough time working at all with a stock configuration, this is going to be a whole new ballgame in MAP sensor readings and fuel maps.

Those 48mm TBs might also be a bit large, but I'd talk to CB about that.

Give them a call next week, they're very helpful. Best bet is probably going to be their Quick Tune EFI that programs itself as you drive.
sww914
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Aug 23 2009, 04:42 PM) *

I'll have to disagree with that. I have a stock cam in my 2.0 with ported heads, long conrods and dual 40mms, and while it runs out of steam at around 6k rpms, it is much stronger than an injected engine.

He said stock engine, that's not stock.
CliffBraun
QUOTE(sww914 @ Aug 23 2009, 08:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Aug 23 2009, 04:42 PM) *

He said stock engine, that's not stock.

Hmm, well it's a stock cam still, but he's got FAR better heads, this gentleman has a comparable engine except for the con rods. I'd say chris' engine is better (rabbit rods is a great combo) but I can still see 100HP outta a stock setup with proper induction. I've felt the power difference between stock FI and carbs. One has to remember the entire reason for FI was emissions, and it was before they figured out how to achieve good power and emissions.
fiid
I think you'll find the manifold signature is way to lumpy for a D-Jet to work. All the manifold pressures will be higher because you'll have a throttle plate that is effectively 4 times larger; plus you won't have a plenum chamber or any of the piping.

You *might* be able to get it to run (and by run I mean idle). There are various tricks you can employ to make the D-jet run leaner or richer, like the knob on the top of the brain, messing with the CHT resistance, or changing the fuel pressure.

The issue I think you'll run into is that getting it to basically run is totally different from having it run anywhere near correctly. You've got to worry about intake temperature, idling being different from higher rpm running, acceleration enrichment, plus having the basic shape of the map correct.

I have some experience trying to get megasquirts to run with unstable map readings (on a cammed 2056), and it's a bit of a nightmare. We didn't have a lot of success with Alpha-N either. Not to say it can't be done, but I wouldn't put it in the easy category.
gothspeed
Thanks for the spirited responses ....... I will probably try smaller TBs first ....... smile.gif

I really enjoy this kind of stuff ....... projects that are difficult, a pain in the rear or even seemingly impossible are only invitations ........ stirthepot.gif

If anyone has any more experience, knowledge, encouragement or discouragement they would like to share ...... please post up ...... biggrin.gif!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Aug 23 2009, 03:42 PM) *

Did you compare your setup to a FI engine with the same mods?

Because otherwise it's apples and oranges ...
shades.gif Andy
brant
its been done
two vintage racers in my club run individual throttle bodies on their 1.7's with Djet. They use 4 throttle bodies from the 2.0

it can work at wide open throttle
not good at idle or street driving
you won't like it for daily use
alot of work for minimal gain

possible though

b
fiid
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Aug 24 2009, 10:01 AM) *

If anyone has any more experience, knowledge, encouragement or discouragement they would like to share ...... please post up ...... biggrin.gif!!!

Yeah. Sorry. Didn't want to be all discouraging and shit. That's not cool (on my part).

You could TOTALLY get this setup working with Megasquirt. Megasquirt is a fun and not horrendous project to get running; and it can be done on the cheap. If you were diligent you could convert an engine to run on it in a day. You can use nearly all of the D-jet parts too (same injectors, fuel pump, relay board, the MAT sensor can work too. Throttle body could work if you weren't going ITB.

r_towle
If you run a vacuum line to all four throttle bodies, then merge that into a small vacuum chamber...like a spherical vacuum system, it may work.
You would need to vent the vacuum chamber somehow? not sure

Rich
gothspeed
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 24 2009, 10:41 AM) *

its been done
two vintage racers in my club run individual throttle bodies on their 1.7's with Djet. They use 4 throttle bodies from the 2.0

it can work at wide open throttle
not good at idle or street driving
you won't like it for daily use
alot of work for minimal gain

possible though

b
It been done ....... and will be done/tried again biggrin.gif!!!! Four 2.0 TBs sound really big ........... if I can find some 35mm-ish TBs that is what I will start with ....... smile.gif

QUOTE(fiid @ Aug 24 2009, 04:18 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Aug 24 2009, 10:01 AM) *

Yeah. Sorry. Didn't want to be all discouraging and shit. That's not cool (on my part).

You could TOTALLY get this setup working with Megasquirt. Megasquirt is a fun and not horrendous project to get running; and it can be done on the cheap. If you were diligent you could convert an engine to run on it in a day. You can use nearly all of the D-jet parts too (same injectors, fuel pump, relay board, the MAT sensor can work too. Throttle body could work if you weren't going ITB.
No worries ..... I try to get feedback from all angles ....... when I decide to do or take on a project ... I will do it until 'I' decide I no longer want to pursue it ......... first hand experience is a great teacher ....... smile.gif

..... as for 'nay sayers' ...... they are everywhere ...... and they usually talk like they have stake in the matter/project ............ wink.gif

I will try the D-Jet first ...... then try some other aftermarket programmable FI ......
like megasquirt as you suggested ......... thanks for the posts ... biggrin.gif!!!

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 24 2009, 04:29 PM) *

If you run a vacuum line to all four throttle bodies, then merge that into a small vacuum chamber...like a spherical vacuum system, it may work.
You would need to vent the vacuum chamber somehow? not sure

Rich
........ yes ...... it will serve as a 'diffuser' of sorts ..... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.