Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering wheel in '74 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
elowe88
So I recently inherited my fathers '74 914. I'm 6'6" and the steering wheel is a little too large for my legs. I had a similar problem in my '74 super beetle, but I easily swapped the wheel for a smaller aftermarket one. I have looked into Grant steering wheels but I have no idea which adapter to find (I can't find it anywhere). I am also wondering if the splines and basic geometry of a 914 hub are similar to a VW's. Since I don't have the car yet, I'm wondering if anyone has put an INEXPENSIVE smaller wheel in their car.
Rod
You can easily fit a smaller wheel - and lots of people do, I have a momo in mine.

There is also an ellipitical steering wheel hub adaptor which raises the wheel a bit too smile.gif
tat2dphreak
key word was INEXPENSIVE...
imo momo is expensive

but I don't know of another option

my PO used a grant adapter for a VW but that had to be machined in order to make the turn signals work... so it's kinda a matter of which is more important... a grant hub and wheel is roughly half the price of a momo hub alone...
blitZ
Lot of used Momo wheels on Ebay. You will have to get the adapter if it doesn't come with one.

And of course...
welcome.png
elowe88
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 24 2009, 03:21 PM) *

imo momo is expensive

my PO used a grant adapter for a VW but that had to be machined in order to make the turn signals work... so it's kinda a matter of which is more important... a grant hub and wheel is roughly half the price of a momo hub alone...

so just to be clear, the splines for the grant vw adapter fit on the 914? what kind of machining needed to be done?

was the machining you did only done so that the signal turns off automatically after a turn? or was this an actual fit issue?

sorry about all the questions, haha
r_towle
http://www.classicowheels.com/

Jeffrey will have everything you need and its TOP quality.

RIch
ericread
BTW: WELCOME!!!

welcome.png

Congrats on your "new" 914!!!

Eric Read

(If you put your geographical info in your profile, you'll get a lot of "local" assistance)
rfuerst911sc
If you're not in a rush then watch the classifieds here and on Pelican Parts. Tonight I installed a Dino leather 3 spoke wheel I purchased a few months ago. It's a leather wheel that came with the adapter and I picked it up for $30.00 shipped to my door ! Can't beat clean used purchase but you have to pounce when you find one. Good luck. beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(elowe88 @ Aug 24 2009, 06:03 PM) *

imo momo is expensive

so just to be clear, the splines for the grant vw adapter fit on the 914? what kind of machining needed to be done?

was the machining you did only done so that the signal turns off automatically after a turn? or was this an actual fit issue?

splines fit, but the turn signal reset and horn ring wouldn't work without shortening it about 1/16"

I'm not even sure which grant kit this is, like I said it was the PO... but I got it to work for now, and the grant wheel I bought for it is actually quite nice, imo.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 24 2009, 06:35 PM) *

http://www.classicowheels.com/

Jeffrey will have everything you need and its TOP quality.

RIch

there's no prces, but if those are cheaper than momo then that is a sure fire win imo.
seriously...

IPB Image

+

IPB Image

tell me that is not sick!
elowe88
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 24 2009, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(elowe88 @ Aug 24 2009, 06:03 PM) *

imo momo is expensive

splines fit, but the turn signal reset and horn ring wouldn't work without shortening it about 1/16"

I'm not even sure which grant kit this is, like I said it was the PO... but I got it to work for now, and the grant wheel I bought for it is actually quite nice, imo.

you're really getting my hopes up with this smile.gif do you know what year of VW adapter you bought for yours. Thanks for all the help
jaxdream
The correct Grant adapter number is 3565 , I have used these in the past . they are for 72 up VW bettle , Karman Ghia which VW used the upper steering wheel mount , turn signal , wiper switch from . There may be somee adjusting to close the gap between the steering wheel hub and the column top, this is achevied by adjusting the allen head bolt that clamps the column head to the column. You also need to loosen the 4 column bolts to aloow the column head to slide up or down as needed to get the right gap that will work the horn contact. There are some good looking Grant wheels out there , not the MOmos or Dinos , but perfectly functional and just as good looking ( my personal opinion , not a professional ) . I have installed a grant wheel in 2 different 914 , the flaps will not have a listing for a 914 , but will have one fora VW Bettle and such, as I listed above that is the Grant part number for the adapter , I have one new in the box on the shelf, paid some where in the area of $15.00 for it , YMMV . Being that your 914 is a 74 , ask for one for the 74 Bug.
Good hunting , they can be had ,if not in hurry check the evilBay , Grants all over there !!!! driving.gif

VW built the 914 and used what they were using in the Bettle , Karmann Ghia - column mount , turn signal switches , wiper switches even the cancel / horn contact ring with the three scews under the hub - same as Bug etc.

Jaxdream
iamchappy
the technique wheels are a good value and there quick release is one of the best.

http://www.tekniqauto.com/US/steeringquickrelease.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.