Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where do I buy a new ignition switch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
greenie

A couple of weeks back during our very hot weather my car just dies while I'm driving.

After figuring out that the fuel pump relay was not clicking and I had no power to the pump I chased everything I could using Brad Anders article.

I had an extra relay board so I swapped it just for fun , hooked everything back -up and nothing.

I tried again a few minutes later and everything worked!

So today I start the car for the first time in weeks.

Immediately when I switch on the key I hear the relay click, everything sounds fine except the pump runs continuously ( not the 1.5 seconds that it should).
I crank the starter it fires up, I turn the key to off , the engine is still running.

I can pull the key completely out and the engine still runs.

I think I need the tumblers & electrical portion but don't know where to buy?

markb
bye1.gif
greenie
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 24 2009, 04:10 PM) *

bye1.gif

So what you are saying is I should pull it , ship it to you, you can return it to me as new with a new key included ?

aircooledtechguy
It sounds like the electrical portion of the switch crapped out internally (there's lots of tiny parts inside those little things). I doubt the tumbler section is bad. I have these in stock as well. . .
tat2dphreak
the elctric part is the same as the beetle part I think
jaxdream
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 24 2009, 06:00 PM) *

the elctric part is the same as the beetle part I think

Yep , the lock cylinder is different internally for the Porsche key type , but dimentions are the same as Bug of the same year series.

Jaxdream
zonedoubt
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...171%2D905%2D865

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...191%2D905%2D855
(if you don't mind an ignition key different than doors)

I just replaced my lock cylinder with new as above. The little tab at the end had worn down so wasn't making good contact with the electrical part of the switch. Who knows how long a used 914 lock cylinder will last? These parts DO wear out after time.
markb
To my knowledge the tumbler portion can be bought from VW. You then rekey to your existing key. The electrical portion is also readily available. I was only reminding you that GPR is still around & ready to help you find what you need. I'm trying very hard not to step on any toes here.
ejm
QUOTE(greenie @ Aug 24 2009, 09:07 PM) *

, everything sounds fine except the pump runs continuously ( not the 1.5 seconds that it should).....I can pull the key completely out and the engine still runs.

How did you shut the engine off? The pump running for 1.5 seconds is controlled by the ecu not by the switch. Sounds like the problem is something else.
dangrouche
i like partsheaven.com 1.800.767.7250 for either of the parts
dr914@autoatlanta.com
pull the plug that fits in to the relay board first, as you may have a shorted alternator. The ign switch is very easy to replace follow the guide in the tech tips 700. Everyone has the switch for 19.50 or less.
greenie
QUOTE(ejm @ Aug 25 2009, 02:26 AM) *

QUOTE(greenie @ Aug 24 2009, 09:07 PM) *

, everything sounds fine except the pump runs continuously ( not the 1.5 seconds that it should).....I can pull the key completely out and the engine still runs.

How did you shut the engine off? The pump running for 1.5 seconds is controlled by the ecu not by the switch. Sounds like the problem is something else.

I turned the key numerous times,wiggled it around and I then could get the pump to run correctly.

The key could be pulled out from the # 2 switch position , this is why I think the tumblrs are bad also.

I stuck a small screwdriver in the lock last night and heard a little "tink" spring sound , after this the key could not be pulled from # 2 position.

I popped the clutch to kill it.
McMark
GPR has sold numerous rekeyed lock sets in the classifieds. I'm sure if you sent them your tumbler and key, they could send it back good as new.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 25 2009, 12:00 PM) *

GPR has sold numerous rekeyed lock sets in the classifieds. I'm sure if you sent them your tumbler and key, they could send it back good as new.

agree.gif
tradisrad
you will only need the eletrical part of the ignition key. they get old and the plastic cracks. It's not hard to change and you DON"T have to rekey.
High Performance House has them. I am sure AA, Pelican and others carry the part as well. If I was at home I'd post a picture of my failed switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.