Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 #13
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfish914
I was flipping through some old magazine articles that i have and was looking at a photo that i have looked at a hundred times. When it struck me that they chopped up the CIS system to fit in the #13 916. The article is fro the 1987 July/August VW& Porsche magazine page 49. The article claims that they replaced the original six with a 3.0 SC motor. My scanner is not working at this time so I can't post a picture. headbang.gif Does any one else have the picture they can post? I am in the process of putting a 2.7 with CIS and wondering if what they did looks as crazy as I think. or maybe it is a simple way of getting it all to fit?
In the picture it looks like they cut the air boot in half moved the sensor plate and fuel distributor turning it clockwise and connected the two with a metal box??? Leaving the latch in place
I will try and get the photo scanned to post.
d914
slight change of subject, put a buddy of mine has a mostly complete electromotive set up for a fuel injected car,,,, only missing the intake, fuel rails...he even has the injectors....He's selling it...I thought of the 3.0 guys since the cis is a bit of a pain.. New in box several years old...It was scheduled for a race car or his SC... I bought the SC but never had the $$$$ to convert to to the crank fire..

QUOTE(kfish914 @ Aug 24 2009, 10:51 PM) *

I was flipping through some old magazine articles that i have and was looking at a photo that i have looked at a hundred times. When it struck me that they chopped up the CIS system to fit in the #13 916. The article is fro the 1987 July/August VW& Porsche magazine page 49. The article claims that they replaced the original six with a 3.0 SC motor. My scanner is not working at this time so I can't post a picture. headbang.gif Does any one else have the picture they can post? I am in the process of putting a 2.7 with CIS and wondering if what they did looks as crazy as I think. or maybe it is a simple way of getting it all to fit?
In the picture it looks like they cut the air boot in half moved the sensor plate and fuel distributor turning it clockwise and connected the two with a metal box??? Leaving the latch in place

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(kfish914 @ Aug 24 2009, 09:51 PM) *

Somewhere on this site are pictures of a CIS 914/6 that I worked on with the owner. He bought the car with the CIS installed, and the previous owner sourced some Audi parts to move the fuel distributor to a different location. It fit without removing the engine lid catch.

CIS with the Engine latch intact.

Just find the Audi air box and the proper tubes......
Gustl
voila smile.gif
kfish914
Thanks for posting the picture. I think if you polished the intake pipes and cleaned up the cuts on the box unsure.gif
I can't tell where or if it has an air cleaner.
Cupomeat
The air cleaner is most likely under the fuel distributor in what appears to be a box from the picture, just as it was for most VW and Porsche applications. They also rotated that box 180deg, for what purpose, I do not know. All suspect.

The strange thing to me, is the use of that OVER pipe/box and how they fabricated it to have a cutout for the lid latch. Strange stuff, and seemingly not efficient in build/fabrication.

I also like the reference to the 2.0 as noisy...
gothspeed
I like the clean looks of the 916 rear smile.gif ................ the front on the other hand looks too 'space age' 70s ..... sad.gif

As was mentioned it appears the air cleaner is under the CIS fuel distributor. idea.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
when we installed the CIS system on a 914-6 we had to reconfigure the fuel injection system to make it fit and avoid cutting out the locking mechanism. Too many have cut this out to directly bolt in the engine and make a mess of their cars.
sixgt
I had a six conversion that was done by a previous owner. It had a 2.7 w/ the original CIS. They had ground the fins off of the air boot to clearance the engine lid and the had removed the original latch and placed key locks on either side. I think it could be done fairly easily just by relocating the latch (should not be an issue in a conversion).
ahdoman
That 916 documentation is really cool but what a mess just to keep the engine latch! The PO on my car had installed a 2.4 w/CIS. I went to a newer 2.7 w/cis and in the process cleaned up a couple of issues on the install. The latch was already gone. I added some marine cam locks to the grill. Because it's a GT lid it's pretty light so I only need one of the torsion springs. If you need to lock the grill you can get the cam locks with a key lock.

Click to view attachment

When I got the car it had a couple of holes already cut in the rear firewall so that the line from the fuel distributor would fit and the vacuum fittings on the other side would as well. (You might be able to find a smaller fitting for the fuel line so it will fit.) Since I didn't want any holes in my trunk I fabricated a small curved piece to weld in place. I did the same on the other side (flat triangular piece) for the vacuum fittings (again, these could probably be relocated).

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I also cut a "hatch" so I could get to the rear of the engine. From here I can axcess the oil thermostat, oil pressure sender, bolts for oil cooler shroud cover and all the CIS I/O lines. I've already had to remove the panel to replace a bad oil thermostat. If I didn't have the panel I would have had to drop the engine! The good news is that my top still fits in the trunk.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'm still cleaning up some of the paint damage and need to find some quality beading for the panel edges (for now I used a piece of vacuum line that I split).
kfish914
Two things:
George do you have any engine bay pictures of the conversion?

Ahdoman: I like the idea of a hatch to access the above mentioned, my worry is that it might leak at that point. Have you had any issues? I plan on covering the trunk like the 916 so i could make the hatch work with out the worries of paint damage. And thanks for your advice on the cleaning up the CIS, i noticed in one of the pictures it looks like you have some of the vacum hose capped with screws, mine is in peices but i planned on hooking every thing back up the way it was before my ignorant hands got hold of it. Am i missing something with the conversion??
ahdoman
By "leak" I assume you mean water? If so, that's the least of the issues. I don't know of anyway to use the CIS and install the rain tray. The boot (whether you use the orginal Porsche or the Audi version) sticks up too high. So you're going to get an engine bay full of rainwater if you don't drive fast enough! I've actually driven mine in the rain and it stays fairly dry in the engine bay as long as you keep moving. It would suck to be stuck in city traffic.

I'm not sure what you mean by "make the hatch work with out the worries of paint damage."

In regards to the screws in the vacuum lines; since that pic was taken I have replaced those with the vinyl vacuum caps available at your local auto parts store.
kfish914
yeah sorry i was talking about rain getting into the trunk. After i wrote that I realized I don't plan on driving it on rainy days but around here you never know sunshine when you leave for work no rain in the forcast and rain on the way home from work. I already removed the rain tray, i knew from other post and pictures that the CIS would not fit with it in place. It was cracked and had a hole in it were the P.O. had put the wrong size battery and closed the lid.
As for the hatch, you mentioned you were cleaning up the paint and it looked like the vacum tube "seal" left marks in the picture. I was planning on covering the entire trunk area with the same type of material of the trunk mat like the 916 has. So i would not have to worry about any marks on the paint from the rubber seal around the "hatch". Plus my car is black so that would help with the rubber marks if any.
thanks for the tip on the caps
iamchappy
My engine fits fine with a 930 CIS intake..... biggrin.gif
kfish914
I can only dream of that engine in my car. drooley.gif
Rick_Eberle
I thought there were only 11 916s. 13???
carr914
11 Documented Factory 916's with Steel Roofs.

1 more that was made at the Factory for a Porsche employee on a real 914-6 (over 50 pages of documentation). I used to get to drive this car quite a bit at Sebring. It had a blue leather interior including the roll-bar cover. I ( Bob Snodgrass and myself) had a chance to buy it after the owner took it apart, left it outside to rust and alot of the 916 parts went missing - I passed. It is still in Florida, back together, but missing alot of the good stiff.

Also there was a 914-6 made at the Factory in 76, that some people call a 916, but to me it's just an unique 914-6.

Then there are some re-creations, at least one that is in a Museum in Europe that claims to be an original, but is not.

T.C.
Gustl
QUOTE(Rick_Eberle @ Aug 27 2009, 12:55 AM) *

I thought there were only 11 916s. 13???

#13 stands for 914.2.33.0013 shades.gif
Dr Evil
Steve, where did you get those grill latches? Those are nicer than what I was using on my CIS car. Any info would be appreciated biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.