Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump question from a dummy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hot_shoe914
Okay, let's see how dumb I really am. Car was running fine when I parked it. Fuel pump wouldn't work when I went to drive it again so I replaced it at midnight last night. Car cranks and idles fine. Will even rev up sweet all the way. Tried to drive it to work this morning but when I get in the accelerator she cuts out, spits sputters and won't go. 3 port fuel pump. If I mixed up the 2 outer lines on the pump would it cause this problem or would it not run at all? Please help, sure would like to drive her again.

Shoe

p.s. "74 LE with a 2.0 and stock injection.
Millerwelds
Carbs or FI?

Make sure there are no pinched lines (ask me how I know). Helps to have a fuel pressure gauge.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Aug 25 2009, 08:27 PM) *

Carbs or FI?

Make sure there are no pinched lines (ask me how I know). Helps to have a fuel pressure gauge.

Just double checked, no pinched fuel lines. Surely somebody knows the answer to my question.
raw1298
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Aug 25 2009, 06:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Aug 25 2009, 08:27 PM) *

Carbs or FI?

Just double checked, no pinched fuel lines. Surely somebody knows the answer to my question.

Did you release the parking brake? biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Aug 25 2009, 06:27 PM) *

Carbs or FI?

Says right there, "p.s. "74 LE with a 2.0 and stock injection."

The Cap'n
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 25 2009, 09:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Aug 25 2009, 06:27 PM) *

Carbs or FI?

Says right there, "p.s. "74 LE with a 2.0 and stock injection."

The Cap'n

Cap'n,

What happens if the lines to those 2 outer ports were swapped? Thought surely you would have the answer.
SLITS
Ok, I don't remember the sequence of the three ports except the one near the cap is the Pressure Relief port.

If you mix the Druck (pressure port) with the Pressure Relief port, you would be sending all your fuel minus what comes out of the PR port back to the tank. You would have minimal flow/pressure to the injectors. It might start and idle, but it sure wouldn't accelerate.

Is that the answer you are looking for?
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 25 2009, 09:34 PM) *

Ok, I don't remember the sequence of the three ports except the one near the cap is the Pressure Relief port.

If you mix the Druck (pressure port) with the Pressure Relief port, you would be sending all your fuel minus what comes out of the PR port back to the tank. You would have minimal flow/pressure to the injectors. It might start and idle, but it sure wouldn't accelerate.

Is that the answer you are looking for?

It very well could be Slits. I am on my way outside to swap them around now. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Shoe
jt914-6
Get it done Shoe......we need a photographer at the MUSR 10!!!!!! biggrin.gif
SLITS
Before I swap them I would trace them ... fuel running down your arm into your armpit and below causes one hell of a rash ... follow the line coming from the cap end to its destination. If it isn't hooked into the "T" in the return line then that's the problem. If it is, then something else is funky.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 25 2009, 09:49 PM) *

Before I swap them I would trace them ... fuel running down your arm into your armpit and below causes one hell of a rash ... follow the line coming from the cap end to its destination. If it isn't hooked into the "T" in the return line then that's the problem. If it is, then something else is funky.

I swapped them now it doesn't run at all. #0 minutes of wasted labor. Now I get to go swap them back. The "T" actually goes on the middle port. One coming from fuel supply goes opposite cap. Sigh, what a PITA!!!
KELTY360
Those symptoms could be caused by something clogging the fuel filter under load.
SLITS
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Aug 25 2009, 08:20 PM) *

I swapped them now it doesn't run at all. #0 minutes of wasted labor. Now I get to go swap them back. The "T" actually goes on the middle port. One coming from fuel supply goes opposite cap. Sigh, what a PITA!!!

I don't have a diagram in my hand of the ports. The cap holds the pressure relief spring in and the port next to it is the Return. That goes to the "T" as you have fuel coming back from the pressure regulator also.

In taking one apart, I thought the center port was "D" for pressure (druck). It would be hooked to the passenger side fuel rail.

The bottom port would then be "S" suction which is connected to the fuel filter and then to the 8mm plastic line.

If you switched the Supply and Return lines through the body ... small line is Return, then your pump would be trying to suck fuel through about a 2 mm hole instead of an 8mm. This would cause fuel starvation.

Or your new pump is krap. You need to hook a pressure guage (at least 0-30 psi) and tap it into the fitting for the cold start valve in the driver's side fuel rail. With the pump on, you should read 29.4 psi.

I have several of these pumps and can look at one tomorrow to be sure.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 25 2009, 11:43 PM) *

I don't have a diagram in my hand of the ports. The cap holds the pressure relief spring in and the port next to it is the Return. That goes to the "T" as you have fuel coming back from the pressure regulator also.

In taking one apart, I thought the center port was "D" for pressure (druck). It would be hooked to the passenger side fuel rail.

The bottom port would then be "S" suction which is connected to the fuel filter and then to the 8mm plastic line.

If you switched the Supply and Return lines through the body ... small line is Return, then your pump would be trying to suck fuel through about a 2 mm hole instead of an 8mm. This would cause fuel starvation.

Or your new pump is krap. You need to hook a pressure guage (at least 0-30 psi) and tap it into the fitting for the cold start valve in the driver's side fuel rail. With the pump on, you should read 29.4 psi.

I have several of these pumps and can look at one tomorrow to be sure.

Got her running with your help and the help of RobW. She is running like a top and since I still had the track tires on I went for a little ride through the twisties. I am smiling now.

Thanks guys!

Shoe beer3.gif
jt914-6
Congrats Shoe. Now we can have many pics of MUSR 10!!!! And I've got someone to video and chase on 298.....
Cap'n Krusty

"IF" you have an OE pump, not one of the Chinese ones currently available, the tee goes on the return port (the one on the end with the PR valve), the output is the center port, and the inlet is the one farthest from the PR valve. The car WILL NOT run with the hoses in the wrong places. IF you have the new aftermarket pump, better call George at AA, because the plumbing is different. BTW, if you've bought one of those, you're gonna get REAL good at pump replacement. I replace the original pumps with the later one-in/one-out version.

The Cap'n
AvalonFal
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 26 2009, 12:31 PM) *

"IF" you have an OE pump, not one of the Chinese ones currently available, the tee goes on the return port (the one on the end with the PR valve), the output is the center port, and the inlet is the one farthest from the PR valve. The car WILL NOT run with the hoses in the wrong places. IF you have the new aftermarket pump, better call George at AA, because the plumbing is different. BTW, if you've bought one of those, you're gonna get REAL good at pump replacement. I replace the original pumps with the later one-in/one-out version.

The Cap'n

I have one of those AA Chinese pumps. (I wasn't told it was China made, when I bought it, but that's another issue.) Plumbing is reversed on mine. Center port is the return port!! And yes, after a month, it is already leaking around the electrical socket. AA says 2 year warranty, so this one will be going back shortly. Look for it, George.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.