Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replica Fuchs Wheels, how good (or bad) are they?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
I'm looking for a set of 8x16 Fuchs wheels and the real deal is quite hard to find.

I located a set of replica wheels, brand new, for $235 a piece. They look nice enough, are about 2lbs heavier than the real ones and only come in the 911 offset.
Made in China.

The weight does not concern me much (i have torque) and the 911 offset just means i need to get different spacers, which is fine too.

Anyone got any feedback on those wheels?
popcorn[1].gif Andy
ConeDodger
Heard of them breaking but I have never seen one broken... Of course, I have also heard of alien abductions and...

So they might be ok biggrin.gif
Shade Tree
Andy, is 8X16 the widest fuch's ever made or are there 9X16? I ask because this old guy I know says he's had a set of 9X16's with Hoosiers on them sitting in his house for 20 years. He's 85 years old and may not remember everything. Anyway, I know he's not going to use them on his car....they're too small. wacko.gif
drgchapman
The replica Fuchs are quite good. Our local race shop recommends them and runs them on most of their race cars. I have 2 pair of 9" for the rears, look great, work great, can't tell. The price is right, the weight is not much different. Haven't heard of a broken one....
Andy, step up and get the 9x16s for the rears, you'll love them.
SirAndy
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Aug 26 2009, 01:53 PM) *

Andy, step up and get the 9x16s for the rears, you'll love them.

I'm thinking 8" all around so i can switch wheels around.

The Fuchs wheels will be temporary anyways as i already have a set of 9"/11" x 17 that will go on the car eventually ...

happy11.gif Andy
roadster fan
Hey Andy,

If they are temporary why not get phone dials in 8x16 rather than replicas? Much cheaper, I see the 951 offset periodically for sale.

Is there only one company making fuchs replicas? I would be interested in knowing who is making the ones recommended by drgchapman.

Jim
drgchapman
Sierra Madre sells them on Ebay for $229 each. I've bought 2 pair of the 9x16's. They look great and are reliable. They are made in China.
Just look up Fuchs in Ebay and you'll find them. The vendor is very prompt and follows up your purchase with an email to make sure you are pleased.
SirAndy
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Aug 26 2009, 02:45 PM) *

If they are temporary why not get phone dials in 8x16 rather than replicas?

Because the Fuchs look better, IMHO.

Plus, i live in the Ghetto. You need nice rims here to hang with the cool crowd ...
biggrin.gif Andy
iamchappy
But there cheap and strong.
rick 918-S
I had 15"X 8" all around then went to 16"X 8" and 16" X 9".

My 15" X 8" I purchased from the Tire Rack about 15 years ago. They are very heavy.

My new 16" ones I purchased from Performance Products in 07? I think. I think I got one of the first sets they sold. They are very light and I was able to use a much thinner spacer that I had to use with my 15" wheels.
Twise
I am running the reps - 9x16 all the way around. No complaints from me.
carr914
Made in China - that should say enough right there.

I have seen replicas broken, it's not a pretty sight, cuz usually the car is FUBAR.

Replicas are cast, not forged. I would never ever take them on a track.

Fuchs were made as wide as 11" (74 911 RSR)

T.C.
drgchapman
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 26 2009, 05:18 PM) *

Made in China - that should enough right there.

I have seen replicas broken, it's not a pretty sight, cuz usually the car is FUBAR.

T.C.

To each his own.

Gamroth has 10 spec 911's running the replicas for several years now on the track. No failures to report.

What are you basing your opinion on?
Joe Bob
China/Taiwan wheels suck.....try the repro "Rota" wheels.....or do what Ginter did and get the Superlites......
carr914
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Aug 26 2009, 08:30 PM) *

T.C.

To each his own.

Gamroth has 10 spec 911's running the replicas for several years now on the track. No failures to report.

What are you basing your opinion on?

Because I've seen them brake, in fact a guy I know had to have his face re-constructed after a Replica Fuch broke, he went off the road and hit a bunch of trees.

Why would you want a Cast Chinese crap steel wheel, when you could have a Forged wheel made in Germany? I guess I value my life and car.

T.C.
Cap'n Krusty

T.C.

What he said ....................

The Cap'n
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 26 2009, 04:39 PM) *

or do what Ginter did and get the Superlites......

Don't do that. After Ginter got the Superlites the damn car fell on his face. That just has to be connected somehow... lol-2.gif
iamchappy
Old forged ones can break and crack after track use also. I would look into Subie Dudes
Rota Fuch rims if i was planning on tracking them or get Phone dials with a set of tires on them for less.....If i was just using the the China ones for spirited street driving i wouldn't worry about it.
degreeoff
I am going to get them, and use 7&8x16's for my street tires.....have you tried to find a 245/50 r15 street tire lately?

All track wheels are straight up 8x15 fuch's w/245/50 R6 hoosiers....:-P

Josh
Jkids914
I have repros that came with the car. Paint chips every time I remove a wheel, even with care. As soon as I am out of the doghouse for the last significant parts purchase I will budget/save for real Fuchs. Kind of like shoes...nothing like real leather and genuine craftsmanship. It's worth saving for and just feels sooo gooood.
Downunderman
Get some Superlites and be done with it.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Downunderman @ Aug 26 2009, 05:05 PM) *

Get some Superlites and be done with it.

So Howard, are the Superlites cast or forged? I have also heard of something called pressure cast wheels? I guess these are better than just cast but not as good as forged.

Another question... When a wheel that is forged is modified such as taking it apart and welding the center in something wider like what Lindsey Racing or Weidman does, does that make it weaker or ???
grantsfo
If you have 2 grand you could try to talk that Iozzio dude on Bird Board to make you a set of Forged Fuch replicas. Those are pretty wheels he has been working on!
THE STIG
http://www.zuffenhaus.us/defaultNew.aspx

Saw these at the Historics, replicas Fuchs that are track wheels, they are so nice they do not appear as replica, and are set to do 15x9, 15X11, original or RSR finish, 17 inch as well. They also make a KILLER set of brakes, set to release in fall, $4000.00 for a set of replica 1973 911 RSR Brakes and rotors, front and rear, uses 930 hubs, or special adaptors. Even have the hand brake set up.
nsr-jamie
Performance Products sell those weltmiester wheels and they look nice, they even have 9 inch ones too and are supposed to fit the 914 with steel flares..they even have a package deal with some tires and four wheels, I almost bought a set till I found out shipping was like 650 dollars to me....
Downunderman
They are cast not forged, but used by lots of historic racers down here without any problems.
sixnotfour
newinthebox 16 x 8' Fuchs replicas by Euromeister Price: $150 each
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=795781

rktmn247
This subject has had a lot of action on the bird board. With one poster saying the Rotas are gravity cast and thus not suited for competition. I have no clue as to which ones are the best, but if I had the money I would go with the Zuffenhaus ones linked above.
sixnotfour
If you have 2 grand you could try to talk that Iozzio dude on Bird Board to make you a set of Forged Fuch replicas. Those are pretty wheels he has been working on!

They look great , FYI they are welded 2 piece wheels
TeenerTim
You need to check out Lindsey Racing Wheels. They use original Fuchs to build wheels with custom offsets and diameters. Even 17".
IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Aug 27 2009, 08:31 AM) *

You need to check out Lindsey Racing Wheels. They use original Fuchs to build wheels with custom offsets and diameters. Even 17".

$700-$800 per wheel for something that i'll eventually replace anyways? wacko.gif

I just want something nicer than my beaten cookie cutters for the street and while i'm in there get a bit more rubber.

I'll still use the other set of cookies with slicks for the track.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
gothspeed
There are always good used forged fuchs on ebay ...... just be patient and one can find a set for almost the same price as those cast ones.
Joe Bob
I've had best luck picking up singles......just takes a while to fill up a pair or in your case a set of 4.

Also, Wheel Enhancement had some new old stock ones a while back......grab your ankles when asking the price.
al weidman
Andy, replicas are OK for your use. They can't be restored to a factory look wheel, but they will polish up fine. We have seen guys that even thought they had the real deal on their car that wanted them restored. You have to be a wheel nut to see the difference, just don't put on a pair of Fuchs and a pair of replicas, you will see a difference. Al Weidman
SirAndy
QUOTE(al weidman @ Aug 27 2009, 09:45 PM) *

Andy, replicas are OK for your use. They can't be restored to a factory look wheel, but they will polish up fine. We have seen guys that even thought they had the real deal on their car that wanted them restored. You have to be a wheel nut to see the difference, just don't put on a pair of Fuchs and a pair of replicas, you will see a difference. Al Weidman

Thank you sir!
beerchug.gif Andy
Joe Bob
Except for Al Reed....he's the other opinion I would trust......
blabla914
Since we are talking about wheel failures and people getting seriously hurt or dead as a result I think we should all remind ourselves that ANY wheel used on the track needs thorough and regular inspection for cracks.

Even if you are only a spirited street driver cleaning and inspecting your wheels at the same time as brake system maintenace is a good practice.

I'll add that while you (and I for that matter) may be picking up genuine wheels off Ebay we are talking about 20-30 year old wheels with unknown history. See above.

Cast wheels are not necessarily bad. When you make a cast wheel as a replica of a forged wheel and don't add some metal where necessary, that's bad. I have to wonder how much effort goes into the design of some of these replicas. I would think anything with a TUV would be safe.

Just some things to think about.

Kelly

iamchappy
i like my Fuchs but i like my phone dials with the polished lips and black centers also.
al weidman
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 27 2009, 11:19 PM) *

Except for Al Reed....he's the other opinion I would trust......

Mike, I sold my So. Cal. business to Al Reed in 1978 and Al has done a great job and developed a great reputation in his own right. Al, Dianne and I have remained good friend over the years. Harvey and I opened our No. Cal. business in 1980 after getting set up and organized. I brought my '73 2.0 I bought new and Harvey brought his '73 911 RS and have remained true to Porsche. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.