Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squasshhhhed O Ring when tightening on Oil Vent Port
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Adding oil vent tubes to the valve covers...none on the motor. Got the CB kit. There is an O Rings inside the valve covers, and the nut on the outside. If I hand tighten the nut, the O Ring is squuuisssshhhhed out and doesn't look good. unsure.gif

Suggestions? Gasket mterial? Superglue? Thanks Bill
McMark
McMaster has Viton washers.

Or PACK it full of RTV! (calling Cap'n) lol-2.gif
r_towle
Miracle putty.
Its way better than jbweld.

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
So you're doing this to non-vented heads, right. 2 ways: (A) Vent the heads like they were intended to be. (B ) Weld in those POS tubes.

The Cap'n
SLITS
Not really sure, but I've been told that the valve covers (rocker box covers) run about 1/2 full of oil at times .... could be a lie, but the positions of those vents look like they suck a bit of oil. Just a guess.

The stock location is way above that level.

JB Weld forever .......
McMark
Unless he installs those covers with the port at the top. I was thinking the same way, Ron.
bandjoey
Yep they'll vent at the top of the cover back into the breather box way up on top hung on the firewall. Can't afford to put the vents into the heads right now. Thought about something like miracle putty but didn't know what oil and heat would do to the joint. Can't get any higher on the cover or it'll be in the curve. Picture doesn't show it very well but they're actually pointing slightly up when on the car.
VaccaRabite
If thats the kit with the EMPI breather box, replace the hose that came in the kit with something else. The hose in my kit was not reinforced at all, and started breaking up within a single year.

I replaced it with truck fuel hose from NAPA, which has a fiber reinforcing layer in the rubber.

Zach
bandjoey
Yep. It'd the empi kit. What did u do about the O rings on the nipples? I'll pick up some oil hose. The kit hose looks like it came from slip n slide
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.