Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will Early '72 Rotors work on a Late '72 Car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
casey944
How is everyone... about to make my rusteration drivable and i am about to put the brakes on... Ordered all early stuff for my late car(accidentally)... Can i get the early rotors to work? Already pressed the bearings and everyhting.

Thanks.

Casey
tat2dphreak
no

halfway through 72 they changed the rotors, struts, ball joints, calipers... everything.
SLITS
Look at the bottom of your strut ... if the ball joint is held in by a bolt that squeezes the split in the bottom of the strut ... they will work.

If all you see is a nut and no split ... they won't work.
casey944
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 27 2009, 03:36 PM) *

Look at the bottom of your strut ... if the ball joint is held in by a bolt that squeezes the split in the bottom of the strut ... they will work.

If all you see is a nut and no split ... they won't work.

gonna go check it out when i can here in a few and i will report back.
casey944
There is a split at the bottom of the strut facing the inside of the car so i am assuming the parts i have will work?

Casey
tat2dphreak
The factory changed the strut housing, ball joint, caliper and rotor at VIN 4722919032 what is your VIN?
casey944
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 27 2009, 04:34 PM) *

The factory changed the strut housing, ball joint, caliper and rotor at VIN 4722919032 what is your VIN?

I have a Late vin... that is why i am bringing this up. Compared my strut to a '73 strut that I also have and mine is clearly different. Going to put the parts next to each other is evening and compare.

Casey
tat2dphreak
you might be in luck then! smile.gif

you'll know when you put on the rotor, and then try to put on the caliper... a later caliper won't go on an early rotor. things won't line up.
SLITS
If he has the split in the strut, he has early struts.
casey944
Well, had the split in the bottom and they were still the wrong ones.... so i now need to sell my brand new rotors with bearings sad.gif
raw1298
What do your rotors look like?I will post a picture of what I have, if they are different maybe we can swap? If they look like the new one they are early style and if like the ones on the car they are the late style. I got the wrong ones also.
SLITS
The new one is called "non hub centric".

The old one is "hub centric". The lip was to be able to hang the wheel without doing a balancing act.

Not sure what's really going on here as the struts with the split and a bolt w/nut through the hole are early struts.

The late strut uses a double taper pin that is secured in place by a nut. It is somewhat triangular in shape and the strut has no split at the bottom.
casey944
i will gather them up shortly and take pictures... Put all the stuff on from a 73 2.0 and it bolted up fine... I will get pictures off to you later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.