Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 1970 1.7L Tangerine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Britain Smith
The time has come to part with my 914. If all goes well, I will be replacing it with another...with a much different purpose (i.e. race car). Below are the details and descriptions of the car and I will be updating it as additional items come to mind.

Background:
I purchased this car from another 914Club member (Lil Bastard) while living in California around the end of 2003. Since that time, it has been my primary daily driver and part-time AX car for a couple of seasons. As a daily driver it has been wonderful. I can not lie and say that it has been perfect because it has had a few common 914 type issues (listed below) that have all been fixed using factory parts and factory procedures. As an autocross car, it is damn fast for a 1.7L. I took the GGR Ai class win in 2004 and 2005 and came in 4th in the 2004 West Coast Classic behind 3 highly prepared 2.0L cars.

History:
This car was owned for 33 years by a professor at Stanford. After he passed away, his widowed wife sold the car to Lil Bastard in 2003. Lil Bastard had the car only a few weeks and spent a substainal amount of time and effort at High Performance House to get it running properly. Unemployment forced the sale and I purchased it from him. The car was never registered by Lil Bastard and therefore I am listed as the 2nd registered owner of the car. I moved from California to Portland Oregon region in the fall of 2005 and the car has been daily drive and garaged both at home and work since then.

Here are the details of the car including the items I have replaced or fixed since I have owned the car.

Details:
1970 1.7L Engine

Chassis:
VIN: 4702910198
Chassis Number: 7539509
Build Date: 06/70
Paint Code: L21E (Tangerine)
Interior: Tan

Exterior:
Original Paint. Outside: 4 out of 10. Trunks: 8 out of 10
Several paint chips, dents, and discoloration common with orginal paint.
Rear Bumper is a 914/6 stock chrome bumper.
Has Euro Turn Signal and Taillight lenses.
Brand New windshield, replaced less than 2months ago.
No Chassis Rust. Hell Hole is clean, Rockers are Clean, Front and Rear Trunks are Clean.
Battery Tray has rust, but still holds a battery.
Replaced several of the body seals including: inner door seal, vertical targa seal, front fender seal, windsheil interior base seal.

Interior:
Added a CD player and speakers behind stock grills. No hole cut for antenna, used Hotrod hidden antenna on windshield.
Wiring is Unmolested. Nobody has done anything funky with the wiring or added any circuits.
Replaced fresh air blower
Rebuild pedel cluster with bronze bushings.
Has stock 914/6 passenger foot rest.
Has early larger wire gauge wiring harness.
Replaced Driver seat track and adjuster.
Driver seat is very worn with several cuts in it.
Passenger seat is non-adjustable and has tears.
Door panels are tan and tops have tears.
Carpet is orginal and has wear.

Engine:
Stock 1.7L Engine will all fuel injection systems in place.
Oil changed every 3000 miles with Brad Penn 10W-30 and Genuine Mahle Oil Filters.
Valves adjusted to Factory specs every 6000 miles.
New Bosch Alternator
Replaced Engine Wiring Harness.
Replaced MPS and MPS connector.
Optima RedTop Battery with proper hold-down.
Replaced negative battery cable.
Replaced Fuel Filter and Fuel Lines from Firewall.
Removed and Clean fuel tank.
Replaced multiple injectors.
Added Pertronix electronic points.
Replaced Oil-Bath air cleaner with late model "dry" style.
Cleaned Throttle Body.
Replaced Head Temp Sensor.

Transmission:
Stock Tailshift transmision.
Freshly rebuilt. Replaced 1st gear sycnro, slider, dogteeth. Replated 2nd gear syncro. Replace mainshaft intermediate plate bearing. All new seals and gaskets. Filled with Swepco 201.
Replaced all bushings in the shifter and shift rod.
Repaired clutch tube and reinforced firewall mounting.
Replaced clutch cable with Terrycable.
911 Sport Mounts.

Suspension/Brakes/Wheels:
Added 21mm Weltmeister Adjustable Front Sway Bar
Added Stock Rear Sway bar factor mounts welded in and new bushings.
Added Bilstein shocks all around.
160lb Rear Springs.
New front and rear wheel bearings.
New Brake Rotors and Potterfield Pads all around.
Stainless Braided Brake Lines.
(1) Set of Stock 2.0L Fuchs with New BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Performance All-Season Tires (205/50/15)
(1) Set of Stock Steel Wheels with Yokahoma Tires (need replacing)

Prices: $4800, obo.

This price is based on the work that has gone into this car to make it realiable as a daily driver and the set-up to make it competitive at autocross. It is a good representation of a 2 owner car that is well maintained yet driven on a daily based. If you are looking for a nice 914 running all the stock injection that you can just get into and drive, this is a good bet.

Here are some pictures that I have available from when I purchased it. I will be cleaning up a few things over the next couple of days and taking updated pictures to post here. Not much has changed cosmetically from these photos.

-Britain

plas76targa
Britain - my auto-x idol! I've been telling folks here on the east coast about your AX skill. That 1.7 just a second or two behind the $$$ toys! This is a fabulous price some one willl jump on this. They SHOULD!
Britain Smith
Ha...AX skillz!

This car has been a blast and a great learning opportunity for me. I have been involved in Porsche since I was 15 and I have to say that this car has been wonderful. If you want to get into AX'ing and learn to drive...definitely start with a well prepared lower powered car as it will teach you to drive smooth and with momentum.

-Britain

EdwardBlume
This is a solid car. Someone should jump on it. beer.gif
Brisco914prc
Britan, I've sent you messages through 914world and also through your craigslist ad but haven't heard back from you.

Is your 914 still for sale? If so, I'd like to see more photos and speak to you about the car. My phone is 650 346-6342. You can email me at t2coupe AT totheweb.com (replace "AT" with the @ sign and don't use any spaces).

Thanks,
Britain Smith
I have added a whole lot of pictures here.

I am still working on cleaning up the interior and will get pictures of that as soon as possible.

If there are any questions, feel free to send me a message.

-Britain
Britain Smith
Here is a teaser picture.

-Britain

IPB Image
Cire
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Aug 30 2009, 08:31 PM) *

Here is a teaser picture.

-Britain

IPB Image

Can we get some teaser pictures of the insides? Also the trunks would be great to see. I would love to see the sway bar, rear end and the front end too. = )

More pictures!!! = )

Eric
Britain Smith
Yes, I posted about 30 pictures here:

PICTURES OF BRITAIN'S 1970 1.7L 914

I will be posting more of the interior and engine bay tonight or tomorrow.

-Britain
smokey
Nice car

smoke.gif
Ie;lil B
Cire
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Aug 31 2009, 09:54 AM) *

Yes, I posted about 30 pictures here:

PICTURES OF BRITAIN'S 1970 1.7L 914

I will be posting more of the interior and engine bay tonight or tomorrow.

-Britain

I see your little avatar is a yellow 914... Did you upgrade from this car to that one? Whats better about the new car? Just interesting. Your car seems like it has all the right bells and whistles for AX. Whats better? LOL

Thanks.

Eric
Britain Smith
I am looking to purchase the car that I have been racing for the last 3 years. It is damn fast and well built. I am not willing to cut up a original car like mine to make it a dedicated race car.

My car is awesome for someone looking to get into AX and be able to drive to the event, run in a competitive class, and do well. It has also been a realiable daily driver for 5 years.

IPB Image

-Britain
Cire
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Sep 1 2009, 10:24 AM) *

I am looking to purchase the car that I have been racing for the last 3 years. It is damn fast and well built. I am not willing to cut up a original car like mine to make it a dedicated race car.

My car is awesome for someone looking to get into AX and be able to drive to the event, run in a competitive class, and do well. It has also been a realiable daily driver for 5 years.

IPB Image

-Britain

Neat. What are the next 3 things you would do to your car if you were keeping it? 325 calipers? Regear the tranny? Remove the Interior? = )

Thanks again.

Eric
Britain Smith
On the orange car, I would probably not do much of anything. It is all original and it would be a pitty to cut it up. I have already added all the suspension bits to make it competitive. If I were started out in AX, I would spend my time learning to drive and not worrying about the car. I have been instructing drivers for many years and 95% of the time it is the driver holding the car back and not the car holding the driver back. Engine upgrades, bigger brakes, different gearing will all make the car faster but won't help my you a better driver. Remember, it is easier to drive a slow car fast, but harder to drive a fast car fast.

As for the upgrades you listed...I would never do the 325 calipers as I feel it is now improvement as your are limited by the heat capacity of the rotors. Regearing the tranny is maybe a thought, however a torque biasing limited slip would make more sense. Removing the interior tips you over the edge from a nice daily driver. Just my 2 cents.

-Britain
ghuff
Damn it.

I would sell my 400hp daily for this but could not bear to drive it in the east coast winters or daily drive it on the east coast.

I want a clean runner in addition to my pre-painted project sad.gif
Britain Smith
I posted more pictures of the interior, trunks, and engine bay here:

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?show...p;#entry1063186

Let me know if you have any issues seening those pictures.

-Britain
Britain Smith
Ok, to just let everyone know...there are a couple of highly interested parties, both local and out of state. If you are interested, please let me know so that we can work a deal. I want to be fair to everyone who has expressed interest.

-Britain
Gearhead1432
PM sent
Cire
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Sep 3 2009, 10:13 PM) *

Ok, to just let everyone know...there are a couple of highly interested parties, both local and out of state. If you are interested, please let me know so that we can work a deal. I want to be fair to everyone who has expressed interest.

-Britain

Is the car still for sale? Is this like a bid type auction for the car? Take in all the peoples bids that are interested and it goes to the highest one? I offered 3800 way back when but I guess it wasnt enough. = ) You posted this on the 3rd of Sept.... Maybe there bid wasnt high enough either. = )

Just wondering what the magic number is to take your wonderful car home.

Eric
Britain Smith
Car has been sold.

-Britain
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.