Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New relays, new headlight switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave_Darling
I'm sure these have been discussed before, but I could not find the threads.

Two questions have come up recently through Pelican, each having to do with new parts that are now listed as the replacement for old parts. Specifically, the headlight switch, the hazard/flasher relay, and the 1.8's double relay.

I believe the older headlight switch has fewer terminals than the later ones. (No, I'm not sure where the changeover is.) The early ones are NLA, or were a little while ago, so the later ones are listed as the "appropriate" replacement. Does anyone know which wires to connect from the older wiring harness to the newer switch?

Second, the hazard relay ("flasher relay") has been NLA for a while that I know of. There is a newer one that has, I think, an extra pin on it. How do you wire the replacement relay to work correctly?

Finally, we had an issue not long ago where a replacement dual relay had the wrong number of pins on it. Someone here mentioned a similar problem, and that they had re-wired the relay (??), but no details. Does anyone know how that is done?

Thanks!

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 29 2009, 06:12 PM) *

I'm sure these have been discussed before, but I could not find the threads.

Two questions have come up recently through Pelican, each having to do with new parts that are now listed as the replacement for old parts. Specifically, the headlight switch, the hazard/flasher relay, and the 1.8's double relay.

I believe the older headlight switch has fewer terminals than the later ones. (No, I'm not sure where the changeover is.) The early ones are NLA, or were a little while ago, so the later ones are listed as the "appropriate" replacement. Does anyone know which wires to connect from the older wiring harness to the newer switch?

Second, the hazard relay ("flasher relay") has been NLA for a while that I know of. There is a newer one that has, I think, an extra pin on it. How do you wire the replacement relay to work correctly?

Finally, we had an issue not long ago where a replacement dual relay had the wrong number of pins on it. Someone here mentioned a similar problem, and that they had re-wired the relay (??), but no details. Does anyone know how that is done?

Thanks!

--DD

The H/L switches have numbered pins. Use 'em. The H/L relay has an extra pin, and you jumper 12v keyed power to it, IIRC. I think the flasher relay is still available. They hardly ever fail unless they get wet. As for the L-jet double relay, they're functionally different, and I know of no source for a wiring fix. Probably is one, though. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.