Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do 911s have warm start issues?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
bootyshake.gif Yes, they do....ask me how I know......
70Sixter
My 914-6 does not warm start well. Webers boil over. Cold start is great.

My 70 911 was just the opposite. Easy start once warm.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(70Sixter @ Aug 30 2009, 12:07 PM) *

My 914-6 does not warm start well. Webers boil over. Cold start is great.

My 70 911 was just the opposite. Easy start once warm.

Does your six have the insulator blocks under the intake manifolds? I have a 1983 911SC with 46mm PMO carburetors in the Florida heat and zero problems starting hot. Also the rest of the car has to be up to snuff....ignition,distributor,fuel pump,plugs and wires ect.
70Sixter
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Aug 30 2009, 04:36 PM) *

Does your six have the insulator blocks under the intake manifolds? I have a 1983 911SC with 46mm PMO carburetors in the Florida heat and zero problems starting hot.

No, but I'm going to add them (under the carbs) after carb rebuild.

But as I said, my 2.5 911S with Zeniths started great hot. I think it's a Weber thing, and the PMO insulators are my hoped for salvation.

How many fuel pumps are running to feed those 46s?
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(70Sixter @ Aug 30 2009, 01:38 PM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Aug 30 2009, 04:36 PM) *

Does your six have the insulator blocks under the intake manifolds? I have a 1983 911SC with 46mm PMO carburetors in the Florida heat and zero problems starting hot.

No, but I'm going to add them (under the carbs) after carb rebuild.

But as I said, my 2.5 911S with Zeniths started great hot. I think it's a Weber thing, and the PMO insulators are my hoped for salvation.

How many fuel pumps are running to feed those 46s?

The insulators go under the manifolds to keep the heat from transferring from the heads into the manifold which then transfers into the carb body. On my SC I am running the stock CIS fuel pump with a PMO pressure regulator. It has performed perfect for over 2 years. For my GT clone I am running 3.0 911 engine with 40mm Webers. I have the insulators installed on that setup also but car not running yet. Good luck with your hot start issue. beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
I know that at least one SC (stock, with CIS) will occasionally have hot start problems in very very hot conditions.

--DD
70Sixter
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Aug 30 2009, 07:49 PM) *

The insulators go under the manifolds to keep the heat from transferring from the heads into the manifold which then transfers into the carb body.

Thanks, I had it in my mind they went under the carbs.

Just checked the PMO website, not too clear on accessories, but I didn't look too hard yet.
Joe Bob
My SC...when it had a 3.0 and CIS had hot start issues, it was the 14 dollar check valve.

My current SC has a 3.6 and it's the stoopid solenoid just like my 914/6....
jt914-6
PMO makes a drill fixture that you place in the carbs and drill "vent" holes to help stop perculation in the float bowls. It seems to help.
pete-stevers
my 3.0 w cis has a hot start problem..would love to get that figured out
Joe Bob
Check valve in the neck of the fuel pump....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.