Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alloy cross member
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
blabla914
curious to know how much weight is saved with this change. Anybody know?

Thanks,

kelly
john rogers
Probably does not save any weight but it will allow you to bolt in a 23mm master cylinder if you ever need to.
SirAndy
QUOTE(blabla914 @ Aug 30 2009, 12:20 PM) *

curious to know how much weight is saved with this change. Anybody know?

Not much at all and in a position where it does not matter much. About as low in the car as you can get.

Plus, i have seen them flex while mounted in a 914. I got rid of mine and went back to the steel cross member.
shades.gif Andy
blabla914
Hmm. That's an interesting fact I didn't know about with the master. Thanks John.

Andy, I agree even if it saved quite a lot of weight it's not really in an area where you need to save it. I'm curious about the flex issue. What were the signs it was flexing?

Thanks,

Kelly
SirAndy
QUOTE(blabla914 @ Sep 1 2009, 09:21 AM) *

What were the signs it was flexing?

We were standing around the lift watching it twist while the steering wheel was turned ...
blink.gif Andy
slow914
We put a steel cross member back on a early 911 this summer as the hole keeping the torsion bar adjustment screw in broke open while AXing with an aluminum cross member

He said he pulled in after the run and a track marshal came and handed his torsion bar to him biggrin.gif He barely noticed it was gone with the 22mm tarret ha
CliffBraun
You're probably saving about 10 pounds (disclaimer, number pulled straight out of ass). If you have a steel one sitting around you can weigh it and the aluminum one is gonna be about 1/3-1/2 the weight (if they were identical it'd be closer to 1/3, pretty sure they're not).

I've never had any problems with the aluminum one on my car, but fatigue for aluminum is different than that of steel, and it's important to be aware of that.

Andy, There had to have been something else wrong with that bar. I may have to put my car on the lift sometime this week and check that out.
Joe Ricard
I'm thinking of filling my steel one with lead shot. If I have to add weight to the car to make it class legal The tube is where I want to put it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.