Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgara962
So the one thing that didn't go perfect on my trip to the Monterey Historics was when it was time to leave, the car wouldn't start. It wasn't a matter of turning over and not starting, it was just flat dead. Finally the third time I pushed the starter button, it fired up. Unfortunately when we stopped for dinner in Salinas, we weren't as lucky and had to push start it. And it still doesn't start. Now when I push the button there is kind of a groaning sound from the back of the car but that's about it. I took the battery down to my FLAPS today to have it tested to make sure that wasn't the issue, and it was fine which leaves me with the starter.

Looking on Pelican, there are three options. Obviously putting in another stock one isn't worth it. So which is the best option? The early 911 starter or the high torque version that they have? I've read some past posts where there are some issues with the high torque starter. Is this the same one that is on Ebay?

Thanks
jsayre914
i also replaced my starter befor i did the jump test. It turned out my starter was fine, and it was a bad switch at the ignition.

symptoms were sometimes it would start and sometimes it would not.

to test it i put a jumper wire on the solinoid with a pushbutton to the battery, it started every time, so i replaced the switch, perfect.

some people use a more dangerous method of putting the car in neutral and getting under it with the key on and tring to bridge the terminals from the underside.

either way you will know for sure it is the starter
smile.gif
jgara962
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Aug 30 2009, 05:29 PM) *

i also replaced my starter befor i did the jump test. It turned out my starter was fine, and it was a bad switch at the ignition.

symptoms were sometimes it would start and sometimes it would not.

to test it i put a jumper wire on the solinoid with a pushbutton to the battery, it started every time, so i replaced the switch, perfect.

some people use a more dangerous method of putting the car in neutral and getting under it with the key on and tring to bridge the terminals from the underside.

either way you will know for sure it is the starter
smile.gif

The only time I have had this issue was 3 or 4 years ago on a trip to Monterey, strangely enough. I put a pushbutton starter in after that.
McMark
I prefer the high torque starters. eBay for ~$100 last time I looked.
Rand
Probably one of those good examples of the old "dare we bring it up again" threads.

There was a great ebay product. There was also one that had questionable tolerances. I don't know which was which, but if you can find the right high-torque version you can't go wrong. Lighter weight, stronger, proven good.
URY914
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 30 2009, 07:44 PM) *

I prefer the high torque starters. eBay for ~$100 last time I looked.

Agree 100% biggrin.gif
rudedude
I had one of the high torque ones generally recommended here. One day I went to restart out on the road and heard the worst grinding noise.
After replacing the flywheel for the missing teeth I used the original and haven't had any problems.
May just have been coincidence that they broke, I'll never know.
Looking at ring gear and starter it appears they did mesh well so I don,t know if it just was time for 39 year old teeth.
McMark
Just looked on eBay (out of curiosity) and was pleased to see this at the bottom of the page for an IMI starter:

Units now come supplied with alignment shim. Not required on most applications, but if alignment issue between pinion gear and flywheel comes up, then this will eliminate your issue.

The starter gear not retracting quite far enough was the most important issue with these. So for $107 shipped, sounds like a winner.
jgara962
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 31 2009, 01:40 PM) *

Just looked on eBay (out of curiosity) and was pleased to see this at the bottom of the page for an IMI starter:

Units now come supplied with alignment shim. Not required on most applications, but if alignment issue between pinion gear and flywheel comes up, then this will eliminate your issue.

The starter gear not retracting quite far enough was the most important issue with these. So for $107 shipped, sounds like a winner.

Thanks for the info Mark. From reading old posts, that was my biggest worry about using a high torque started. now that they offer the shims to address the issues, that looks like the way to go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.