Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.7 CIS mouting studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
I am continuing to strip down the new motor. I still can get over how clean it is (even under the fan shroud). Other than a small crank case breather leak, all appears to be tight.

I have removed all of the CIS, including the throttle bracket plate. This was attached to the block on studs that go into the case and then through holes in the fan shroud. Being that I am going to carbs, can I remove these studs?

Also, I know I need longer intake studs when going to carbs. I was able to remove the existing ones pretty easily - except for one (of course). I have soaked the thing in pentrating oil for days - but it is still tight as can be. Should I heat it up with a torch? Our local Tool King has a cool looking stud puller that goes over the entire stud and uses a breaker bar - are these any good? I am just using the double-nut technique now....

Thanks!!!!!!
Scott S
beerchug.gif
SLITS
The stud remover will either break the stud or pull it .... yeh, I have one and they work.

After soaking in PB Blaster again, I would heat the stud red and then let it cool. Smack it with a hammer and then try again to pull it.

Yes, I have had to drill them out ...

Good luck.
Cap'n Krusty
No reason to remove 'em. The Cap'n
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 31 2009, 09:53 AM) *

No reason to remove 'em. The Cap'n

agree.gif put a vaccum cap over the end of the stud and let it ride
Scott S
Hi Cap'n

They stick up through the fan shroud - which would normally not be an issue - but I am replacing the shroud and would prefer not to drill it if I really didn't have to. Is it acceptable to pull them, or is there a risk (oil leaks, etc)?

Thanks very much -
Scott S
J P Stein
The studs you will have to remove are the exhaust studs......unles they have been replaced already. The ones with the un-threaded center taper are too long for headers. These can be REAL stinkers. I had to drill one out & chase the threads after it broke.

If the one you're writing about is the one I'm thinking of, yes, out or cut it off.
Scott S
These are the studs I would like to permanently remove.

The first pic shows the plate mounted, the second shows a fan shroud where the studs come through, and the third pic shows a non CIS fan shroud. I do not want to have to drill these three holes in the new shroud if I dont have to - I just want to pull them out if it wont hurt anything.

Thanks!
SLITS
Like the Ricky Racer #4 said, "Cut them off". I would still try to remove them

or

Better yet .... just use the stock shroud ... It's Red man ... ya know ... Porscheeeze for "S" model .... what more could you ask?

You won't open up a whopping leak as I remember ... they are blind holes into the case for the studs for mounting the accelerator console.

Oh, I kept the CIS on my engine(s).
J P Stein
IIRC, my engine came wihout those stud installed.....hay, it was 9-10 years back. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.