Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: calling all 914 water cooled guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
calling all watercooled 914 brothers! if anyone knows heating and aluminum radiators i figure it's a mid engine 914 guy. that said here's what i've got and need:

1967 mustang 390/automatic. new engine, apx. 425 h.p. o.e. brass re-cord 3 row. flex lite dual 12" thremo. controlled (2500 cfm rated) it's not adiquately cooling, i am going to aluminum radiator. i need to get what will work but can't refinance my house for it! biggrin.gif after spending $5K on the 914 the wife is a hard sell chair.gif

questions::
fans=
1 what exactly is a "spal" fan
2 would using my puller dual fans with a pusher acually increase cfm?
3 what is min. cfm needed for 425 h.p.?

aluminum radiator-
1 is 16 fins per inch a std. h/d rating?
2 is 3 tubes per inch better than 2 tubes per inch more efficent? (it seems it would dump more heat)
3 do cheaper rad.'s have trans cooler/cooling issues?
4 is a "triple pass" (down flow as mustangs use) radiator snake oil?
5 i'm even entertaining the idea of running a cross flow if benifitial to cooling? thoughts

i'd like to get this done for my oldest son to use for his wedding in less than 2 months. driving.gif willis.gif

ALL your input i greatly appriciated. i should have pic.'s to post soon.

mike

here are a few i've looked at

favorite, is it worth it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

next best

good $, workable? maybe with my existing puller fans + this pusher
byndbad914
GTA? Love the 67s and 69-70s.

http://www.rondavisradiators.com/radgallery.htm

scroll down to the 67-70 Big Block Mustang radiators.

I had a 70 Mustang hot rodded 302 that for years would not run cool with a 4-core brass rad that was supposed to be the shit, but in the end is was just shit. I had a guy convince me to go to 2-row, 1" capillary alum rad and after years of fighting cooling issues that car would never get over 190deg after the swap.

Spal is just a brand of fan IIRC. As for adding a pusher fan, don't do that, rads to not let air push thru them very well, you have to pull. Make certain that if you reuse your fans you build a proper shroud for them, if you don't use a shroud you are wasting your time. I have one big fan on my radiator on my 914 race car, but dual smaller ones is fine.

As for breaking the bank, honestly, don't skimp here... I have a PWR radiator (they were local for me when I lived in SoCal and did a lot of off-road stuff but essentially same as Ron Davis) and either them or Ron Davis - you get what you pay for and I have not had cooling issues with my race car flogging it on super hot days. Quality is great and since I vibrate so much I went with quality... if you want it to last get a good one IMO. The Ron Davis will most likely be a perfect fit drop right in sorta deal.
orange914
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Sep 1 2009, 02:07 PM) *

GTA? Love the 67s and 69-70s.

http://www.rondavisradiators.com/radgallery.htm
As for breaking the bank, honestly, don't skimp here... I have a PWR radiator (they were local for me when I lived in SoCal and did a lot of off-road stuff but essentially same as Ron Davis) and either them or Ron Davis - you get what you pay for
if you want it to last get a good one IMO. The Ron Davis will most likely be a perfect fit drop right in sorta deal.

yes, it's a GTA fastback. found it locally in 88' out in a field. long interesting history.

thanks for the input on "spal". i just talked to someone at ron davis, he was very good answering my list of questions. i learned the "s" blades are quiter but not as efficient as blades. i would love to go with ron davis but unless i find the $675 set up is junk i may have to sad.gif ron davis sounds like a straight drop in. one thing he mentioned is it's possible the "hy volume" water pump may be a reverse direction serpentine belt. i don't think any f.e. came with a serpentine though, i'll check on this. gives me a chance to us my digital thermometer.

mike
byndbad914
the FE series engines were long done before serpentines and reverse flow came into vogue, so I would seriously doubt you have a rev flow pump... that said it is, I suppose, possible that an aftermarket company would make a serpentine setup and their own pump with reverse flow (maybe for the Cobra stuff) but seems unlikely you would accidentally get that pump. Also, if it was rev flow, then it should cavitate like a mofo and basically not cool and want to overheat rather quickly. Don't worry about a thermal reading, just look up the pump mfr and see if they make a rev flow or not and check the part # on the pump.
rick 918-S
Duel pass is good. Slows the coolant and forces the coolant to travel through one side then the other in a path. Not just through the Whole rad at once. I have a duel pass Howe. IIRCC It was under $ 300.00 I have duel pullers I only run them in stop light traffic and only if I have several lights that stop me.
orange914
i found the fan relay switching wire was hooked up wrong. kind of embarassing-don't ask. going to straighten it out tomorrow. i know it is part if not all the problem. hope that cures the temp. issues. it was a good education on aluminum rad.'s anyway. if not cured 100% i think i'll get this one
Click to view attachment
thanks for the input, i'll post the results

mike
orange914
oh yeah, i have a high volume water pump and i replaced the h/v thermostate with a normal flow failsafe to slow it down abit.
orange914
got my triple pass aluminum radiator w/ 16" and lovered aluminum shroud today. hope to get it in and try it out asap.

less than a month to have it road worthy for my oldest son's wedding smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.