Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Supercharger for the 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PAPERBOY
Don't know if this has been discussed, but it looks interesting. Actual Eaton unit powered by electric motors. Interesting thread here:(http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-56576 )
including some info by the creator, his website is boosthead.com.
Wouldn't make sense for a track car but my street car seems like it could use about 5 psi. What do ya think?
MRM4418
On another forum (not important but a hardcore offroad site), some one brought it up and the designer actually came to the forum and started talking. Main problem is it sucks power down like crazy, I think they had 4 extra batteries in their test car.
Brad Roberts
I just noticed this product advertised in the latest "Turbo" magazine. I like the concept, but our little 55 amp alternators probably couldnt handle the load.

B
Jake Raby
I've done it with an Eaton M45!

Need more head! pissin in the wind otherwise.
Brad Roberts
I agree. We all need more head. Jake Raby for President. clap56.gif

B
Dave_Darling
Waitaminnit... We already got one President in trouble for "more head".... rolleyes.gif

--DD
nebreitling
a 15-second shot of boost followed by a 20 minute refill belongs on the drag strip, which is not a place my 914 sees much of... i'd much rather build a belt driven beast! that said, if the battery technology develops to support a near-constant boost, i'd be interested ohmy.gif

reminds me of the otmar's electric 914, who happens to live in my neighborhood. this bastard EV would smoke most all of our cars off the line. 3rd gear launches with burnouts. crazy shit.
Dave_Darling
They're 3rd gear launches because he'd smoke the tires even more in 5th gear. Those electric motors make peak torque at 0 RPM.

BTW, it isn't battery tech you would need to keep up with the electric motor. It's alternator tech--after all, you need to put the electricity back into the battery at some point. Because electric generators and electric motors are rather less than 100% efficient, it is quite likely that it will cost you more power to run a supercharger electrically than it would to use a V-belt. But you have the advantage of being able to package it much easier--you don't have to have a big pulley right up into the firewall, for instance.

--DD
SLITS
How 'bout a Mercedes Kompressor Supercharger, belt driven off an a/c pulley behind the fan - anybody got a block of aluminum and mill so I can make a mount that replaces the plenum? Oh well, someday.
Dave_Darling
AC pulley == small.
Supercharger pulley == medium to VERY VERY LARGE.

You may have trouble driving an SC with the AC pulley, the thin belt may not be able to transmit enough power. You could make a wider pulley for a wider belt, but then you have to start messing with the fan shroud. Doable? Yeah--you can do anything except turbo a 914. wink.gif Worth it? Prolly not...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.