Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AVS intermediates supply drying up?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
Tire Rack is no longer showing the AVS Intermediate 205/60-15's anywhere on their website. Are they gone for good?

A couple quick calls around town confirm that they are NLA, although Discount Tire quoted me $115 per tire (hah!).

I was looking forward to a good cheap set as I am running on some very old rubber right now (12+ years) that needs to be replaced despite tons of tread left. sad.gif
Lawrence
I'm running Yokohama Avid T-4s on the 911E. I like them for a street tire. I suspect they'd be okay for the occasional (or beginner) autocrosser.

-Rusty
mightyohm
How about the Dunlop Sport A2? It's about the same price and got some good reviws on tire rack and elsewhere. I am running the Sport 5000's on my Mustang and they are better than what I had originally (General Tire XP2000 gonna kill yourself in the rain crap).

I have been reading about the Avid H4's and they have gotten very mixed reviews, some bad ones from the 914 crowd too about understeer. Then again tire reviews are so subjective I don't know what to believe...

I have to be a little bit concerned with rubbing on some of these tires as they are a wider tire for the same spec than the old Dunlop SP 2000's I have.
Targa
When I ordered My Yokohama AVS ES 100's(205/60/15) from discount tire two or three weeks ago they had just taken them off of their site. But I wanted these bad though I had delayed ordering them so I called and received great customer service! The rep was able to figure out what tire I wanted even though it was no longer carried by them and I had forgotten exactly what Yoko's they were. He called two days later and verified that they could still get them @ $83 a piece with free shipping. So I was happy! clap56.gif biggrin.gif clap56.gif Just give them a call
Targa
IMHO,
I think the AVS ES 100's are the best STREET tire. A good guy wanted me to buy some Yoko's that had a 150 treadwear # and I know the car will handle better, but I had to reply that I was looking for more life from my tires and so I bought my tires with a 280 treadwear #. At this point, the other appears a little too radical on the street for my wallet. Though I would like to try driving.gif them in the future!
givory
On the the same topic, I'm looking for help on this problem: Has anyone found a decent track tire in this size, 205/60x15?? I currently use Kumho V700 205/50x15 for a narrow body vintage racer, but club rules specify minimum 60 aspect ratio - sometimes enforced, sometimes not [for 914's and 911's]. I'd REALLY prefer not to go to a street tire to meet the rules, but it seems the Yoko ES 100 in this size gets great reviews at Tirerack. Anyone experience these? Shaved from 10/32 to 6/32's might do the job. And at $75, the price is right. Goodyear Bluesteaks are out of my snack bracket. Without going to a wider tire, am I missing another choice??

Thanks,
Gavin Ivory
seanery
I think I had some BFG R1's in that size.
Not sure what's made in it anymore.

FROM TIRERACK:

Here's the 205/60/15 page:
205/60 Tires
I don't think you want those

They didn't have any comptetition tires in 205/55/15

Here's the 205/50/15 page:
205/55
mightyohm
As a side note, Discount Tire has this thing now where they lump mounting and balancing, road hazard, etc etc etc into the price of the tire and won't let you get rid of anything.... I don't need the warranty crap if I can help it. It makes it hard to get them to price match to anybody. What a bunch of BS.
EdwardBlume
I got a set at closeout for $44 ea about 4-5 months ago. Time to find a new street favorite.

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
anthony
Anybody ever use the Continental ContiExtremeContact? They got great reviews on tirerack's site and they are only $56/ea. in 205-55-15.
seanery
They did get great reviews.
It sounds like all-round street use is really good, but track/autocross use-not good.

Price is right, too.
Dave_Darling
From what I hear, the ES-100 is a lot like the AVS-i. It is the brand new one, the AVS-i is the discontinued one.

If you want to run a street tire, check into the Falken Azenis. They are a very grippy hard-compound tire that is available in a good number of sizes, even down to 14" rim size!! If they have a size you need, they would probably be a bit better than the ES-100.

Grassroots Motorsports did a street-tire comparo and they came out just about even with the BFG Comp T/A KD tires. Those were (possibly) just the tiniest bit more grippy, but much more expensive.

I have the Dunlop A2s on my "other car". Pretty good, but I think the SP-8000 (now discontinued) were more grippy. The A2's are all-season and actually have some grip in snow!!

--DD
Targa
DD,
What are the stats on the falken's? Do you know what their cost is for a 205/60/15?

Thanks,

Varik
r_towle
Isnt Continental a French company???

I love my AVS's.

I put them an four cars...to bad there NLA ohmy.gif
mightyohm
Man, Falken's website is pretty ricey.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.