Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 8" wheels with Cantilevered Slicks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

Found a place that will widen cookie cutters somewhat reasonably. Either on the inside of the wheel or the outside.

I know where I want it widened, but my question is what does the extra inch do?

Does it make the cantilevered slick stay flatter or ?

Do you want the wider wheel in the front (?) or just the back?

JP.... time for you to jump in here!

SirAndy
I'm staying out of this one ... popcorn[1].gif
J P Stein
The knock I've heard on Cantis on 7s is over the wheel moving right & left within the tire casing as side loads are applied. Track guys really have no choice in the matter of wheels and (apparently) live with it. Using 8s is supposed to lessen this and it is up front where much less weight is carried on a 914.....less than 800 lbs total on my car.

I won't use them in the rear, however. Initeria there would (IMO) be more difficult to overcome and there are other options. If there was any way to get away from the cantis (and there may be) I'da done it some time back......but at least no one was kilt durring their use on the 8s. biggrin.gif
john rogers
Goodyear told me they were designed for 7 inch wide rims and the movement is to provide some flexibility to the car. At the time the SCCA mandated 7 inch max width along with a max width between the inside rims in a lot of classes and magically Goodyear figured out a way to make a 9 1/2 wide tire fit onto a rim that was so narrow and the SCCA hated they for it.

Personally, I would be leary of using alloy rims that were originally cast/forged as one piece and were cut and widened. If they were Centerlines or any other brand of 3 piece rim that can be widened then I would say it would be safe.
HAM Inc
Seems like a lot of money, and risk to do something the tire people say isn't required. I would be concerned about them popping off the bead too.

I've run hoosier and goodyear cantis on 7" wheels and can say from experience that the hoosiers are more forgiving, but take a nano-second longer to take a set in medium & fast corners. The goodyears feel much more positive on turn in and don't fade as fast as the hoosiers. This is based on my road race experience only, no AX. I think if I were AXing I might be inclined to run Hoosiers.
J P Stein
I would not spend the time & effort to widen cookies.....nor would I have confidence the widened wheels. 8 X 15 Fuch are about 150 bucks ea if you wait/shop......not pristine, but track wheels.
JazonJJordan
popcorn[1].gif
grantsfo
I agree with concensous on ill advised widening cookie cutters for competition wheels. Good Year guy I spoke with said 8" wheel would creat a little more contact patch but no concerns about safety, etc.

I used custom made 7.5" wheels that weighed less than 10lbs each. Turn in on slightly wider wheel felt a little better to me. But I'd focus more on reduced weight than width. I could feel performance difference between my Jongblode wheels and the much heavier cookie cutters in acceleration.

You know once I went to those lighter and wider wheels and differnt exhaust my car started getting very close to TTOD at AX events until the LSD crapped out.

Of course we all know canti's on 8" wheels will explode and make you a danger to yourself and others. lol-2.gif

I'm running 15x7's on much heavier Boxster with Canti's and car handles even better than 914. It just doesnt have same power to weight ratio. but no excessive flex etc.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 3 2009, 02:15 PM) *

I would not spend the time & effort to widen cookies.....nor would I have confidence the widened wheels. 8 X 15 Fuch are about 150 bucks ea if you wait/shop......not pristine, but track wheels.

Your right JP. Think I'll stick with 7inchers, but look for some lighter wheels.

Now the question, which light weight wheels are good and how much do they weigh/ cost?

I'll have to stop down at Jongbloed Wheels, check out their stuff and put up a report.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 4 2009, 09:34 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 3 2009, 02:15 PM) *

Your right JP. Think I'll stick with 7inchers, but look for some lighter wheels.

Now the question, which light weight wheels are good and how much do they weigh/ cost?

I'll have to stop down at Jongbloed Wheels, check out their stuff and put up a report.

A guy in So Cal recently had a set of custom 16x10 Jongbloeds made and think he said $2000 for set of 4. I would think set of 15x7's would be cheaper. Hey talk to Rob maybe he'll sell my old ones.

http://www.jongbloedracing.com/
J P Stein
The 8 X 15 Fuchs are 12 lbs ea. Pretty tough to beat them for the price.
There is a set of 7 & 8s on pelican for 800 bucks.
J P Stein
Serviceable & cheep.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=496936
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.