Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do the hubs for SC rotors on 914s exist yet?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JoshuaSkinner
I know there were supposed to be hubs to bolt 911SC vented rotors onto 914 struts in development, but do they actually exist as a product? If so I want a pair. If not or they won't be out for some time I'm going to go for early 911 front calipers and a 19 mm master cylinder and call it a day.

Joshua Skinner
'75 914-1.8 possible EJ20T swap candidate
SLITS
Why not just bolt an SC front end on the 14? Ya gets it all that way.
914werke
cuz ya gotta change wheels fighting19.gif
Dave_Darling
Wasn't that another Mueller project? Those come and go at light-speed... wink.gif

--DD
SLITS
Ahhhhh Seeee - Looks like time to investigte every 4 lug vehicle made with vented rotors and see if one comes close. pray.gif
JoshuaSkinner
This was a project by Brad Roberts that was supposed to allow one to bolt 911SC rotors to their 914-4 struts. Seems like a very nice way to get vented brakes without buying a whole front end and then having to convert the rear too.

Joshua Skinner
Mueller
Right now it's designed for early 911 front vented rotors, not too sure if they are the same as the SC rotors or not.

Last I heard, the machine shop is getting the material for the production run, I have to sign off on the prototype parts , waiting to get up to Novato to pick them up and test.
JoshuaSkinner
Ok, that makes even more sense to run early 911 vented rotors. That way you can bolt the Carerra caliper up to the 914 strut, right?

Joshua
ynotdd
So it would be early 911 calipers and vented rotors with a four lug pattern cool!!! about how much I am interested
Tony beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
I am there!! sounds ultra-sweet!
brant
Josh,

I think the carrera caliper is 3.5 inch wide at the mounting bolts... so you'd have to have an adapter to use it... but the early-vented 911 caliper (M) is 3inch wide at the mounting bolts... so thats the one that will bolt right up..
b
EdwardBlume
I talked with B yesterday and he says things are progressing well. Look for something tangible in the next few weeks.
andys
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 11 2004, 10:17 AM)
Ahhhhh Seeee - Looks like time to investigte every 4 lug vehicle made with vented rotors and see if one comes close. pray.gif

'80-'83 BMW 320 front rotors use the same bearings as the 914. Don't know about the seals. Don't know if they're vented either. You'd need to know if the distance between bearings would be a fit. Of course the wheel bolt pattern is different anyway, so maybe there's no point.

Andy
JoshuaSkinner
Andy,

BMW 320i brakes use solid rotors just like our cars. That's how the BMW calipers fit over the rotors without popping out thier pistons. Now the BMW 323 had vented brakes, but those only made it to the US as gray market cars.

I just want decent sized vented brakes for 4 lug wheels. The EJ20T Subie engine is going to propell my car much faster than the 1.8 and better brakes will be a necessity. driving.gif

Joshua Skinner
andys
Joshua,

I just re-read my post......It was the hubs I was speaking of (though you probably figured that out). Ok, so if you find a one-piece vented rotor/hat with the correct offset and diameter, it shouldn'd be rocket science to re-drill for the correct 914 4 bolt pattern. Find a friendly brake outlet that you could rummage through their assortment of rotors.......would take some effort, but you might be rewarded with a fit.

Andy
machina
are they gonna look like these here critters?
Aaron Cox
930 vs 911 hubs?
JoshuaSkinner
No, these hubs will not look like either of those in the picture. The hubs in question are to bolt directly to an unmodified 914-4 strut which neither of the pictured hubs will and to mount a vented rotor. At one point I heard that a 911SC rotor was to be used hence the title of the thread. The hubs are supposed to be available in dual 4 on 130/100mm so you can run original 914 wheels or modern wheels. I believe they will also be available drilled for 5 on 130 and others.

Bottom line for me is that I want vented brakes and do not want to buy 4 new wheels, a 911 front end, 911 rear hubs, etc, etc.

Joshua Skinner
Brad Roberts
The check cleared with the machine shop and material was ordered 2 weeks ago. The actual person doing the machining/setup was in Jury duty all this past week. IF...IF he shows up Monday.. we are first on the list for the prototypes. He is a 914 guy (which is why I chose them..) they have been busy with jobs that pay more. My measely run of 100 hubs just barely qualify's for their machines.

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. Josh.. you actually know more about them than I do...LOL

Just kidding. Yes. Everything you rattled off in the post above mine is true.

Wait until you see the 4 piston 930 brake padded calipers that will fit under 15 inch wheels and bolt RIGHT up to your STOCK 3 inch bolt spacing. It will allow us to run 930 rotor/pads under our 15 inch 4 lug wheel (if you so choose)... YEE F_ING HAW !!!

B
Dave_Darling
Jury duty? Aw, crap... He's not in San Mateo County, is he? If he gets selected for The Trial, he'll be out for a loooooooong loooooooooooooong time...

--DD
Rgreen914
I thought the rumor mill had the trial "on the road again", possibly down here to LA County; seems potential jurors up north displayed too much of an inclination for a pre-trial guilty verdict, according to reports about the results of the questionaires.
DuckRyder
QUOTE(JoshuaSkinner @ Mar 12 2004, 07:36 PM)
BMW 320i brakes use solid rotors just like our cars. That's how the BMW calipers fit over the rotors without popping out thier pistons. Now the BMW 323 had vented brakes, but those only made it to the US as gray market cars.

1977 320i'S use the same vented rotors as 323i's.

1977 - 1979 320 and all 323i use the hubs with the large bearings. The rotor and the hub are seprate thought and the rotors and calipers swap.

Not that any of that actually helps us..........................
JoshuaSkinner
Brad,

If I put 930 calipers on my car I'll have 20-30% of the value of the car in the front brakes. ohmy.gif Any idea (or have a guess) which caliper would work well with a 19mm master cylinder and no rear proportioning valve? I can't afford the bling-bling right now. I'm trying to save my money so I can take my brand D road race car to Laguna Seca this fall. That means the EJ20T swap will have to wait until winter! sad.gif I also think I screwed up buying the Subie transaxle. I think I'll save my sanity and kepe the 901 and not have to fudge a shifter, axles, mounts, clutch release mechanism, etc.

Oh, and to lay the matter to rest. This hub will use the 911SC rotor?

Joshua Skinner
brant
Josh, I'm not brad but..

why don't use use these hubs/vented rotors.... AND the M caliper?

-porshce designed it to run with a 19mm
-its one of the cheapest calipers you can buy because the 911 guys want to upgrade
-it fits your 3inch struts
-it fits the vented rotor... and has the correct offset
-its what these new hubs were designed for

brant
Brad Roberts
Yes on the SC rotor.. yes on the Carrera rotor.. yes on a Turbo rotor.

Just run the stock M calipers like Brant suggested. I plan to sell a complete kit with everything you need (bearings/calipers/rotors/seals)

B
Aaron Cox
That is way trick. my next car will certainly get that setup, my current one is all 911. wink.gif
Brad Roberts
Soo many people want the vented rotors... but cant afford a complete wheel change. I thought this was the correct path. It wont be cheap.. but it will run you a hell of a lot less to do it this way than it would to buy all 5 wheels and have everything remounted/balanced.

I also have a new wheel in the works that will stay 4 lug and be made in a 16X6 config and happen to be a replica of the famous wheel for our 4 lug cars.

Stay tuned... Now I just need to find my clone.

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 14 2004, 12:53 PM)
I also have a new wheel in the works that will stay 4 lug and be made in a 16X6 config and happen to be a replica of the famous wheel for our 4 lug cars.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

that will be freakin sweet! wub.gif
Brad Roberts
Here you go.. *pictures*.. I was reading CNN.

B
JoshuaSkinner
Brad,

I'm in line to be one of your first customer for these hubs.

If I can pick up M calipers for a good price locally I think I will. I have no fear of rebuilding calipers, or most anything else on a car. It will give me something to keep me busy and make me feel like I'm making some progress on the 914.

If you can get good deals on 19mm master cylinders I'll buy one from you when the time comes. They don't cost as much to ship as calipers do.

Right now I'm waiting on the USPS and then SCCA for my race license. Then I can drive the Zebra car the way it's been prepared. driving.gif

Joshua Skinner
machina
Just picked up a set of NOS type M calipers pretty cheap.

Do I want the SC or carrera rotors, or are they the same?

Thanks,
dr
brant
I think the 911's had the SC type rotor for 10+ years in the 70's and then with the carrerra rotor they made it slightly wider thus requiring a narrower pad... to add more mass for better heat sink...

I think the SC rotor would be the one.. but don't take my word for it, I've never seen these hubs.. wait until brad replies.

brant
jonwatts
You can always talk to him or Rich Bontempi in person during business hours at 1-877-914-4-YOU. They're done with my stuff for now so feel free to call them up and waste their time lol3.gif
machina
from what I can find in my books,

the SC has 11.1" x .8" and the carrera has 11.1" x .9"

troutman has the SC rotors for $50 and the Carrera for $80.

dr
Brad Roberts
The first ones out will be config'd for SC rotors. I'm almost 100% sure..LOL that the SC's are 22m thick and the Carrera's are 24mm thick.

B
ynotdd
Let me get right ... sc rotors , early 911 calipers on 4 lug hubs,so we can run stock type wheels. if thats right im in!! smilie_flagge24.gif
JoshuaSkinner
Bump.

Brad,

Any updates?

Joshua
914werke
I have to sign off on the prototype parts

Mike how hard (IE how costly) would it be to create a 4 rather than 5 lug hub that is OE on the 911 & /6's fronts.
Im thinking w/a hub like that I simply drill my rotors for 4 lug and I can retain my 911 struts w/ 3.5 spacing and keep my wheels? pray.gif
Brad Roberts
I'll call tomorrow and see what is going on. I should have had some product by now.

Rich.. Mike and I have spoken several times and we will end up doing a hub that bolts onto the 911 strut but allows you to keep the 4 lug setup.

B
914werke
Cool! smilie_pokal.gif Thanks Brad. I started braking down my 911 front end for referb and looking at it, it didnt seem all that difficult...If you had a milling machine cool.gif
Brad Roberts
Every once in awhile somebody says something on the BBS that helps move our projects into a "different" area that we didnt really think about. This was one of the those times.

I cant wait to get my hands on them... boldblue.gif

B
Mark Henry
Any ballpark price on these puppies...sounds sweet!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.