Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is the cause?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
Apparently my crankcase is presureized.I have steam coming out of my breather and if I remove my oil cap there is steam coming out of there also. What causes this and what can I do to fix it? I recently installed new piston rings but other than that Im not sure what I have done that could cause this. It was like that prior to installing the new rings. Also if I leave it as is what could happen?
Thanks Joe M.
SLITS
If you have "steam" I would assume it's water in the oil boiling off.

Do you drive short distances where the motor never comes up to temperature for an extended period of time? As the motor cools, it will draw in moisture saturated air and the moisture will condense back to liquid.

Now, if it's not "steam" but white smoke, your crankcase would be pressurized by poor sealing rings ... allowing combustion pressure to leak by .... otherwise called "Blow-by". This, if severe enough, could cause oil to be blown out the PCV valve into the plenum (if it's hooked up correctly) or the air cleaner (if it's not hooked up correctly)

It could also be a defective PCV valve.

You didn't state which engine you have.
JOE M
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 4 2009, 12:50 PM) *

If you have "steam" I would assume it's water in the oil boiling off.

Do you drive short distances where the motor never comes up to temperature for an extended period of time? As the motor cools, it will draw in moisture saturated air and the moisture will condense back to liquid.

Now, if it's not "steam" but white smoke, your crankcase would be pressurized by poor sealing rings ... allowing combustion pressure to leak by .... otherwise called "Blow-by". This, if severe enough, could cause oil to be blown out the PCV valve into the plenum (if it's hooked up correctly) or the air cleaner (if it's not hooked up correctly)

It could also be a defective PCV valve.

You didn't state which engine you have.

i HAVE A 1.7 with carbs. I barely drive at all because it`s always either on jacks or torn apart-LOL. I guess it could be water in the oil but when I remove the oil cap I can feel alot of pressure.
McMark
The pressure is caused by moving parts. To solve the problem, take out the crank. lol-2.gif

Google: PCV, case breather, crankcase ventilation
JOE M
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 4 2009, 02:03 PM) *

The pressure is caused by moving parts. To solve the problem, take out the crank. lol-2.gif

Google: PCV, case breather, crankcase ventilation

ohhhh you so funny guy!!!
ahdoman
After you installed the new rings did you correctly do a break in run so the rings would seat? If you replaced the rings I assume you also honed the cylinders? You will always have a little crankcase pressure. If you're seeing a lot of smoke then you've got a leak somewhere.
JOE M
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Sep 4 2009, 02:15 PM) *

After you installed the new rings did you correctly do a break in run so the rings would seat? If you replaced the rings I assume you also honed the cylinders? You will always have a little crankcase pressure. If you're seeing a lot of smoke then you've got a leak somewhere.

im not sure what you call a break in run but I did run it hard for about 50-60 miles but thats about it. Also I did hoan the cylinders.As far as how much I see it`s enough that I notice when it`s at idle. It seems to get better if I get on it a little.I will post a video on you tube with a link.
JOE M
the video seems kind of crapy but hopefully it is good enough to draw some conclusion.
http://www.youtube.com/user/philbrick5
r_towle
QUOTE(JOE M @ Sep 4 2009, 03:39 PM) *

Apparently my crankcase is presureized.I have steam coming out of my breather and if I remove my oil cap there is steam coming out of there also. What causes this and what can I do to fix it? I recently installed new piston rings but other than that Im not sure what I have done that could cause this. It was like that prior to installing the new rings. Also if I leave it as is what could happen?
Thanks Joe M.

Joe,

Do you have head breather hoses?
Where are they connected?

You have naturally occurring air pressure both above and below the piston on any motor. Its ok.
Steam could easily be water in the oil...you have not driven it enough to burn off all the water that settles in engines...just a simple fact.

So,
Where do the head breather hoses hook up?

You need to relieve the pressure from both the heads and the crankcase on these motors or it builds up so fast it just blows out oil seals.
Currently you are using the little filter to let the gases escape...it keeps the oil film in (most of it)
If you hooked up the head breathers to that same setup you have created more pressure in an area that should not experience that type of pressure.

You need an oil breather setup like this one.
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=238

That is designed to take one hose from each head and one from the oil fill section.
It is designed to vent the gases and pressure while allowing the oil to convert from mist and foam back into oil and drain back into the oil filler system.

Rich
neil30076
CB setup Rich was probably refering to ( on a big bore 1.7 with dual webers) :
Click to view attachment
JOE M
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 4 2009, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(JOE M @ Sep 4 2009, 03:39 PM) *

Thanks Joe M.

Joe,

Do you have head breather hoses?
Where are they connected?

You have naturally occurring air pressure both above and below the piston on any motor. Its ok.
Steam could easily be water in the oil...you have not driven it enough to burn off all the water that settles in engines...just a simple fact.

So,
Where do the head breather hoses hook up?

You need to relieve the pressure from both the heads and the crankcase on these motors or it builds up so fast it just blows out oil seals.
Currently you are using the little filter to let the gases escape...it keeps the oil film in (most of it)
If you hooked up the head breathers to that same setup you have created more pressure in an area that should not experience that type of pressure.

You need an oil breather setup like this one.
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=238

That is designed to take one hose from each head and one from the oil fill section.
It is designed to vent the gases and pressure while allowing the oil to convert from mist and foam back into oil and drain back into the oil filler system.

Rich

Rich,
I dont think I have head breather hoses at all.Not even sure that I ever had them to be honest.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I have that same set up on my 1.7, I run the hoses from the top of each valve

cover to the matching side of the breather box. The bottom hose is used for a

drain back for the breather box to the P.C.V. when you do that take a drill to it,

remove the insides of the P.C.V. So it can vent eather way and any oil collected

( never had this happen ) drain back. Oh, yah , junk that little breather , that is like a

Fart in a wind storm. Dave slap.gif

My heads didn,t come with provision for breather eather,C.B. kit has the nessary items to drill the top of your valve covers. If they don't EMPI does.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.