Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Design analysis
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
I very much remember when the 914 was introduced. It even merited a small picture on the cover of R&T. Buying one however, was another matter, for it was out of my price range in 1970. In 1975, I did purchase the 1970 /4 that I still own.
This background is necessary as to share with you the fact that I have read and observed just about all the criticisms that have been aimed at the 914s' design for almost 40 years.

Now in the context of 1970, I will grant you that the 914 was not a particularly "pretty" or "muscular" or "stylish" design. In that era, the enthusiast could look to a Datsun 240Z, Triumph TR-6, Ferrari 365/GTB, Mercedes 280SL, Jaguar XK-E, or a Corvette to find beauty or elegance or muscle. But the 914s' design was puzzling to most eyes. The classic, long hood/short rear deck proportions were missing. There were no hood scoops or flared fenders or "designer labels" attached to it. Back in 1970, no one really understood the design. Forty years later, the pundits still use the words "awkward" and "uninspired" to describe the 914. In the style of Robert Cumberford, who contributes to AUTOMOBILE magazine, I shall share my own unsolicited design analysis.

In profile, the 914 is decidedly flat. There are no voluptuous fender lines or curves on the car. The rear deck is flat. The front end is short, compared with the back. The most prominent feature of the front of the car are the hidden headlights and the pinched turn signal appliances. The rear end of the car is even more featureless; flat lines, broad barely curved surfaces, and almost no adornment, or "jewelry" as the use is applied today. The tail lights are really just long rectangles.

But looking at the design in a 2010 context, the 914 is a remarkably clean effort, free of the ungainly tail light shapes, contorted fenders and deck lids, and awkward rooflines that are commonplace on many of todays' cars, cross-overs and SUVs.

The 914, with its long rear fender, relative to the one in the front, and flat surfaces in side, back and overhead views speak not only of engine placement, but of (flat) engine design as well. With a boxer engine placed amidships, there is no need for tall architecture to suggest an I4, I6, or V6 to provide for the energy needs of this car.

At the front, the 914 observer will note how harmoniously the hidden head light covers flow smoothly into the bumper cutouts for the fog lights and their grilles. The small front turn signal placement at the leading edge and corner of the front fender echo a design element that Porsche had principled from its earliest cars, that is, by defining the leading, outside edges of the front fender (see 356, 911), the driver is enabled to better place the car as he enters and exits corners. (Note: that design element was abandoned in the 924/944/928 models, but returned in the current Boxter/Cayman examples).

Last, but certainly not the final word on a 914 styling critique, is the rollbar design. Speaking personally, I consider this the most difficult area to assess. The fact that most 914s had the rollbar covered with vinyl is understandable in that it serves two purposes. First, the covering is to call attention to the fact that this car has an integrated rollbar, and thereby alludes to both safety and racing heritage. Secondly, the black vinyl on the rollbar reduces the mass of the 914 in the midship area, and combined with black rocker panels and matching black front and rear valences, they visually reduce the height of an already low car. In todays' design context, the rollbar area would likely be finished in a matt or low-gloss black material, carbon fiber, or aluminum, something akin to what Audi is doing with their R8.

Altogether, I consider that the 914s design has aged remarkably well, due to both a restrained effort to marginalize "styling" by late '60 standards, and the fact that the bodywork speaks purely of the car's purpose, engine placement, and heritage.

Paul
MDG
Nicely done, Paul.

My own long standing opinion of the 914 design, specifically in the looks department, is one of a classic "before it's time" example. It was so different from it's contemporaries it gave off a fish out of water vibe. And yet so many of the cars from that era which collectively set the idea of what cars supposedly "should" look like, the very ones the 914 looked so different from, today appear dated to down right ugly. Badly proportioned, confused and exaggerated lines and features that border on kitsch.

On the other hand the 914 has aged with grace, somehow managing to do a better job of evoking its era, ironically the same era during which it was shunned for its appearance. It has taken on a timeless look and this, as Paul has already stated, is due to the cleanliness of its overall design.

The disparaging comments I heard throughout the '80s have been replaced by all of the, "Wow, cool car" comments you'll ever want to hear. Maybe it's the rarity of these cars where I live but I haven't heard anything but praise, admiration and even envy in a long, long time.

m.
Porsche Rescue
I was able to stretch and buy a new '70. Only kept it for 8 mos. because the sound of depreciation dollars flying away kept me awake at night. I was a public school teacher at the time.
I really had a difficult time coming to terms with the look, especially when all the car mags were critical of the design. A 240Z would have been a much less controversial choice. Clearly I came to love the design as I have owned about 20 of them since, including a 73 2.0 that I cosmetically restored for my daughter in 1984.
Pauls' analysis is right on the mark.
Here it is pictured somewhere in Utah in 1970. Made a circular trip Portland, OR, Salt Lake, Grand Canyon, Vegas, LA , San Fran., home. Ample room for luggage for two and the canyons of Utah with the top off were spectacular. Plus 30 mpg.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Sep 5 2009, 07:02 AM) *

Here it is pictured somewhere in Utah in 1970.

thumb3d.gif
SirAndy
Some interesting reading about the actual design process for the 914:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=51265

type.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 4 2009, 11:28 PM) *

I very much remember when the 914 was introduced. It even merited a small picture on the cover of R&T. Buying one however, was another matter, for it was out of my price range in 1970. In 1975, I did purchase the 1970 /4 that I still own.
This background is necessary as to share with you the fact that I have read and observed just about all the criticisms that have been aimed at the 914s' design for almost 40 years.

Now in the context of 1970, I will grant you that the 914 was not a particularly "pretty" or "muscular" or "stylish" design. In that era, the enthusiast could look to a Datsun 240Z, Triumph TR-6, Ferrari 365/GTB, Mercedes 280SL, Jaguar XK-E, or a Corvette to find beauty or elegance or muscle. But the 914s' design was puzzling to most eyes. The classic, long hood/short rear deck proportions were missing. There were no hood scoops or flared fenders or "designer labels" attached to it. Back in 1970, no one really understood the design. Forty years later, the pundits still use the words "awkward" and "uninspired" to describe the 914. In the style of Robert Cumberford, who contributes to AUTOMOBILE magazine, I shall share my own unsolicited design analysis.

In profile, the 914 is decidedly flat. There are no voluptuous fender lines or curves on the car. The rear deck is flat. The front end is short, compared with the back. The most prominent feature of the front of the car are the hidden headlights and the pinched turn signal appliances. The rear end of the car is even more featureless; flat lines, broad barely curved surfaces, and almost no adornment, or "jewelry" as the use is applied today. The tail lights are really just long rectangles.

But looking at the design in a 2010 context, the 914 is a remarkably clean effort, free of the ungainly tail light shapes, contorted fenders and deck lids, and awkward rooflines that are commonplace on many of todays' cars, cross-overs and SUVs.

The 914, with its long rear fender, relative to the one in the front, and flat surfaces in side, back and overhead views speak not only of engine placement, but of (flat) engine design as well. With a boxer engine placed amidships, there is no need for tall architecture to suggest an I4, I6, or V6 to provide for the energy needs of this car.

At the front, the 914 observer will note how harmoniously the hidden head light covers flow smoothly into the bumper cutouts for the fog lights and their grilles. The small front turn signal placement at the leading edge and corner of the front fender echo a design element that Porsche had principled from its earliest cars, that is, by defining the leading, outside edges of the front fender (see 356, 911), the driver is enabled to better place the car as he enters and exits corners. (Note: that design element was abandoned in the 924/944/928 models, but returned in the current Boxter/Cayman examples).

Last, but certainly not the final word on a 914 styling critique, is the rollbar design. Speaking personally, I consider this the most difficult area to assess. The fact that most 914s had the rollbar covered with vinyl is understandable in that it serves two purposes. First, the covering is to call attention to the fact that this car has an integrated rollbar, and thereby alludes to both safety and racing heritage. Secondly, the black vinyl on the rollbar reduces the mass of the 914 in the midship area, and combined with black rocker panels and matching black front and rear valences, they visually reduce the height of an already low car. In todays' design context, the rollbar area would likely be finished in a matt or low-gloss black material, carbon fiber, or aluminum, something akin to what Audi is doing with their R8.

Altogether, I consider that the 914s design has aged remarkably well, due to both a restrained effort to marginalize "styling" by late '60 standards, and the fact that the bodywork speaks purely of the car's purpose, engine placement, and heritage.

Paul

Nicely put Paul! Agree with all your comments.

Now, can we discuss that ovaltine thing on the front bumper?

Hey, can someone donate a proper Euro front plate?
914runnow
Your 'Article and pics' need to forward to a car mag of sorts....
the Marque is at the "over The Hill" 40 mark now..
It would be a nice piece....also if it gets accepted..
the 'Handling' aspect added in the column would round it out nicely..
Great piece you have done!!!
SGB
I think we all have realized the car is a much more clever concept than acknowledged by the automobile "experts " of the time. The efficiency of structure and simplicity of accomplishment is awesome. it is really more like a Lotus (keep it simple to make it light) than a Porsche product (keep it solid and more solid), or even a VW (keep it simple to keep it cheap).

As mentioned, most current auto design is a horrible assemblage of lines and shapes and pointless embellishment. It seems all the designers feed of each other- especially BMW and Mercedes as material for Hondas or Toyotas, followed by the Korean manufacturers, then traded back and forth until a new trend seems hot. Now that Bangle has left BMW, maybe the entire industry can get back to engineering design, not "flame surfacing". beer.gif
Tom_T
Great Synopsis Paul! agree.gif

I too was "out of the market" in 1970-75, being in college & working my way through for the first 4 of those years, then getting out into a crappy job market in 74-75!

Interestingly, I applied to USC (not South Carolina!) for Industrial Design, with the intent to go into Auto Design. Unfortunately, they forgot to tell Admissions that they were closing down that degree program & graduating the final class during my Freshman year - so I switched to Architecture - still in design.

Ergo, I've always had more than a passing interest in auto design & critiques of same. And I must admit that I was initially non-nonplussed & unexcited with the 914's styling initially - but REALLY liked the mid-engined layout at a reasonable price. However, I found over a short time that it really was a slick little design effort, although understated - which is what all those chrome & fin loving car mag "gurus" liked.

By 1973 I grew to love the design & drooled over the new & quicker 2L - especially when a guy in the same off-campus apartment building got one from his parents - they don't call it "University of Spoiled Children" for no reason, but I wasn't & still couldn't afford one. After the economy & jobs picked up, I was finally able to afford my 73 2L used in late 1975, but ate a mess of PBJ & Mac-n-Cheese for over a year, until raises caught up!!

IMHO for what it's worth, here are my thoughts to bolster Paul's excellent design review:

1 - I'd say that the body proportions front to rear perfectly reflect the mid-engine layout, & are about even fore & aft of the cabin, as Paul's photo shows. It has a low & lean, no fuss look - & the car delivers on the look.

2 - Although on most cars of the era, the vinyl/fake soft-top roofs looked cheesy - but on the 914's with the textured black targa top on or off - it gives the illusion of it's excellent look with the top off, similar to a full convertible with the top down. The overall combined roll-bar plus cabin & windshield proportion also helps even out the front quarter & rear 3-quarter panels' proportions to each other. Again, all well illustrated in Paul's side view.

3 - That ultra low front end makes it super slick - some 20% more slippery than a 911's drag coefficient, but that apparently necessitated the pop-up headlights to meet the US-DOT Regs! In fact, it took me some time to get to get used to how close you see the road in front of you - especially after several year's driving Dad's former `69 Pontiac Ventura long-nosed "boat"!

4 - In addition to the front fender bumps defining the car's front corners, they are a perfectly scaled down representation of the 911 & 356 headlight-led fenders, but just in a more diminutive size to allow for that wide & low front scoop of a hood, to push the steering wheels into the pavement - again with better down-force than the 911/912.

5 - By the 1973 MY, 914s had a nicely fitted-out interior & instrumentation on the 2.0 models, with good quality & sturdy loop pile carpet and vinyl leatherette & basketweave or corduroy upholstery materials, & with the Appearance Group's Chrome Bumpers & other accents - especially compared with its direct competitors;

6 - Loaded with firsts - either in class or price range, if not for all cars of the day:

> computer controlled electronic fuel injection, on a lightweight magnesium & aluminum alloy air-cooled flat four mid-engine, coupled to a 5-speed fully independent rear mounted transaxle - with a very low center of gravity which is about in your lap when sitting in a teener - F1 comes to the street;

> afore mentioned retractable headlights - necessitated for a slick front-end after DOT outlawed glass covered ones in `66, & wrap-around taillights to cover side marker duty all in one unit, as well as giving it a wide & low look from the rear;

> two/three-seater with adequate trunk space for 2+ & a roomy cabin, such that you could go for a week or two with adequate luggage, & I've gone on long tent camping trips with all the gear in mine, plus under-roll-bar mounted racks for skis or bikes;

> integrated roll-bar with glass - providing an open air ride which doesn't get the gal in the right seat upset about her hair blowing around, as in the typical convertible (assuming a gal in the "business seat" doesn't mind messing up her hair) - in fact you could drive at speed in a good rain and still stay dry with the top off, or in the cold & stay toasty with the heat on;

> stiff uni-body construction - even on an open top car, with 50:50, weight distribution & nearly neutral tendencies for harder cornering - again generating significantly higher cornering forces than the 911/912s, along with a lighter & faster rack-&-pinion steering with less turns lock-to-lock than most front engine competitors.

7 - All this for a great price when coupled with the Porsche cachet (something they should have mirrored in Europe) - at least until the Dollar:DM exchange rate blew the prices out of the water starting in mid-`73, & a car which held it's value better at 3 years & beyond, than did it's direct competitors - 85% vs. 75% or less for the 240Z (best of the rest of the pack at 75%), Fiat 124 Spyder or F1/9, MGB/MGC, Austin Healy 3000, TR6, Datsun 1800/2000, etc. (I did the math before settling on the 914).

Something which I learned in Architecture school, was that a great design or drawing, was one which accomplished the most with the least effort. The 914 certainly did this, which is what the critics did not understand - nor did I until I literally sat down & studied the car as part of a photography class project side by side with a contemporary 240Z.

Unfortunately - as with most Architecture Critics, Auto design critics are typically those who themselves cannot design their way out of a paper bag, nor have much interest in really studying a design effort - but rather are deadline driven journalists who all too often are all too willing to cave into popular opinion, rather than have an individual one of their own!

My complete turnaround on fully appreciating the 914's design, was when Datsun shot a print ad of a 260Z in front of the Thousand Oaks Library (CA) which I'd designed - a striking bright white with sharply angled black glass & saw-toothed roof design - & I wished it had been a 914 instead! Unfortunately, they'd been out of production for several years by that time.

As a final thought - maybe there's a chance of a reprieve of the classic 914 design, in this current trend of retro cars, with something along the lines of this VW initiated design study from the 9/08 MT. Let's just hope that they don't make the same mismatched branding mess they did in the 1970's, and produce it as a pure Porsche! ....maybe even with a return to the lighter weight air-cooled flat engines! driving.gif

Click to view attachment

shades.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.