Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radiator in the engine bay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Numbchux
I saw in the engine swap FAQ, mention of putting the radiator in the engine compartment of a 914 (this would be with a 4-cyl subaru motor). I've been hunting around for more information or a picture of this, to no avail.....

Can anyone offer any insight into this? I'd really like to not have to cut up the front of the car, so if this is an effective option....

also, not talking about a built STi motor, just a lightly-boosted (~5-6 supercharged psi) 2.2l.
zymurgist
If memory serves, Scott Thacher had a normally aspirated Subie in the engine compartment with the radiator installed there too. I don't think he's been around for a while though.
number6
QUOTE(Numbchux @ Sep 5 2009, 11:59 AM) *

I saw in the engine swap FAQ, mention of putting the radiator in the engine compartment of a 914 (this would be with a 4-cyl subaru motor). I've been hunting around for more information or a picture of this, to no avail.....

Can anyone offer any insight into this? I'd really like to not have to cut up the front of the car, so if this is an effective option....

also, not talking about a built STi motor, just a lightly-boosted (~5-6 supercharged psi) 2.2l.

I have these 2 threads bookmarked about the engine bay radiator setup:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...9&hl=subaru

(check page 10 of above thread for photos!)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=29707&hl=
Katmanken
What's yer definition of effective?

And for how long???

Radiators depend on airflow to cool and midship engine bays are not known for effective airflow.

Some have tried it, and it may work. Let us know.
Dr Evil
What about Tonyakavw? He has his in there.
Numbchux
QUOTE(kwales @ Sep 5 2009, 08:05 PM) *

What's yer definition of effective?

And for how long???

Radiators depend on airflow to cool and midship engine bays are not known for effective airflow.

Some have tried it, and it may work. Let us know.

My thoughts exactly, although, obviously the stock motor is air cooled, so it is designed for more air flow than your average mid-engined car (MR2, X1/9, Fiero, etc.). I live in Minnesota, so obviously my cooling system isn't tortured as much as other areas....but I still don't want to have to pull over and let it cool off, ever.

I dunno, I don't actually own a 914 (yet, hopefully), so I can only speculate from pictures I've seen, and the couple minutes I've spent under my uncle's 914. which is why I'm here. My #1 concern with my planned project is hacking up the front of the car to put in a radiator, and then burping the system, etc.

Number6, Thanks a ton for the links, I'll do some reading.
Nana's_914
Radiator in spoiler.
craig downs
Tony had it in there at first and tried to get it to work, but had problems with over heating so he moved it up front
Numbchux
QUOTE(craig downs @ Sep 6 2009, 01:14 AM) *

Tony had it in there at first and tried to get it to work, but had problems with over heating so he moved it up front

I see that, tons of good info in that thread! I was thinking move the radiator back a bit, and tilt it to help get air around the corner....but in the end, it's probably futile. Really makes me rethink my plans....

although, he's got good pictures of cutting the front up for the radiator that makes me feel better about that.
Dr Evil
Ya, if Tony couldnt pull it off it probably cant be done reasonably well.
TonyAKAVW
Thanks Dr. Though I think it can be done. I know there are two people who have done it successfully, both running naturally aspirated EJ25 motors (which is what I have).

Scott was running nothing special for the radiator and I think the main difference in our setups is that his car is higher off the ground, making his scoop potentially effective. I didn't want a scoop hanging down and so that eliminated that option for me.

The other one MongrelGT (I believe) ended up putting in an expensive (very thick) radiator and seemed not to have real issues with cooling.

I wanted to keep my cooling system cheap, so I went with a $75 radiator and $10 fans I picked up at a swap meet. The biggest cost was the $150 for the hose, which I highly recommend (has a spiral spring wound throughout the whole length and is very durable.

Anyway, there are decent ways to do all of these things and depending on how you use your car (racing, autocrossing, calm driving, etc.) your needs will differ.

In the end though a radiator up front will be the best solution IMHO.

-Tony
sean_v8_914
good read. nice pics
http://www.cassidy-online.com/porsche914/a...aids/index.html
Nana's_914
Have you seen this before? Full tin to guide air through the radiator.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=83892&hl=

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.