Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV joint bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
Everyone do yourself a favor and check your cv joint bolts. Make sure they are tight and secure. Right side transmission CV was FINGER LOOSE!!

Wait a minute.

Just a minute.

Oh yeah, I see some .032 Stainless steel safety wire in my near future.
underthetire
Mine were loose when I got the car. Check the roll pins (2) as well. One of mine was gone.
Sleepin
Mine are safety wired. Thank Dr. Evil! wink.gif
993inNC
I've never driven my 914 smile.gif (bought and now tearing down to restore), but I had that problem on my 993. After the 3rd time being roadside stuck (once on track twice on the street) I decided to "locktight" my CV bolts and thus far no issues. Hope to not have to take them out any time soon though biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
See link below wink.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 5 2009, 07:08 PM) *

See link below wink.gif

I'll be spending a little time at the drill press tomorrow. biggrin.gif
SLITS
Nope .... just my nutz.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(993inNC @ Sep 5 2009, 08:48 PM) *

I've never driven my 914 smile.gif (bought and now tearing down to restore), but I had that problem on my 993. After the 3rd time being roadside stuck (once on track twice on the street) I decided to "locktight" my CV bolts and thus far no issues. Hope to not have to take them out any time soon though biggrin.gif

Big difference here between the 993 and the 914 CV joints. The 993 CVs have a plate over the end that captures the grease, so it doesn't get in the bolt threads when assembling. The 914 has an open CV joint that uses the flange on the transmission and a gasket to retain the grease. You try to locktite a 914 CV bolt, and the locktite ends up mixed with grease, and doesn't work worth a damn.

There are people who safety wire the CV bolts. That is a great idea, but I believe if you use the proper NEW schnorr washers, and the proper torque on the bolts, they will stay in. Since I started doing that, I have not had one back out. But I still check them EVERY time I put either 914 on the lift.

I used to use longer bolts, and put jamb nuts on the backside of the drive flange. Yes, there is room, and they don't require drilling the heads of the bolts.
993inNC
Sorry, but that's not true ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ at least not on mine. The are an open VW style CV joint with the the only flange being for the boot to attach to. Its open on the transmission end, with only a cork gasket between the joint and the tranny joint hub
Millerwelds
Don't forget to check them on the wheel side too. While adjusting my valves I decided to check them and found one bolt laying in the trailing arm and the rest finger loose (not tight) on the passenger side. Driver side was good.

As for the tranny side I see the safety wire and know it is all good (thanks Dr. Evil)
computers4kids
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 5 2009, 05:04 PM) *

Everyone do yourself a favor and check your cv joint bolts. Make sure they are tight and secure. Right side transmission CV was FINGER LOOSE!!

Wait a minute.

Just a minute.

Oh yeah, I see some .032 Stainless steel safety wire in my near future.

IPB Image
IPB Image
Peace of Mind... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.