Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaymann
Clutch and Trans both feelin scetchey,I am working on a 1975 porsche 914 1.8 L 4cyl with f.i..So far I just replaced all the vacuum hoses,fuel hoses,battery,fuses,relays,fuel and oil filters,fuel pump,fuel regulator.I sent out the 4 fuel injetors and cold start valve,to be cleaned and cond.various gaskets and o rings, plus a full tune up.Now she starts, and runs strong.I think she is a side shifter.The clutch has definate issues,I think, I might ,replace it all together.Now might be a good time to upgrade to a rennshift?I was also thinking about having the transmission rebuilt,and a was wondering if limted slip diff was a option?And if anyone had any advice on the topic.My motor is straight stock now,but I am sure there will be a huge increase in H.P. in the future.My goal is a fast street car,that I could also run at the track.I am looking for ideas to improve on the cars shifting capabilties.Jason
Dave_Darling
New bushings are the first step. You may need to help the crown-shaped bushing in the side-shifter console, as the hole it goes in is often badly worn.

Stiffer transmission mounts will also help the shift quality, at the expense of more noise and drivetrain vibration making it into the cabin.

The Rennshift will, from what I have heard, help a lot.

An LSD is an option, but a rather expensive one. Think hard about if you'll really need it or not. (Figure at least a couple grand--and that's if the trans is already apart for some other reason.)

--DD
ConeDodger
Let's talk about this...

Probably the best and most satisfying way to proceed on any of these cars is to consider what it is you want the car to do for you in the end. Pick up girls? Paint and interior work and a good running engine are your best moves. Daily driver? Good running engine and clean up the interior exterior. Autocross? Good maintanance, tires, and tighten up the nut behind the wheel - AKA seat time. Race car? Almost the same as autocross with different gears, suspension settings, belts etc...

Resist the urge to "fix up" 30+ years of abuse, wear, and neglect by modifying. In most cases, it isn't necessary to get to your goal. And in some cases, it will make the car so uncomfortable you will hate it.

A LSD is really only necessary for track and race and then only after you are skilled enough to take advantage of it. Up to that point, it is money you could spend elsewhere and get more bang for your buck...

Consider that the engineers who designed these cars were pretty smart guys to begin with and just stay stock. You might be happier with your car in the end....

If your goal is as you said, a fast street car that you could drive on the track you don't need an LSD... yet lol-2.gif
Dr Evil
You would be wasting your money on a LSD at this time. Save your $1000+ and take care of all the necessary things, then you can blow it on upgrades smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.