Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73/'74 throttle box and filter box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
scrz914
I'm trying to restore my '73 2L back to original with all it's various oddities and differences from other years and I noticed a couple of minor details. I mean minor, but still important for some reason. One is how the throttle cable receiver (?) is narrow on some and more of a triangle on others. When did they change? I'm guessing the narrow one is '73 and the triangle is '74 as someone probably figured out the it needed to be more robust.
The other part I can't figure out is the air filter box. Mine has a flat plate on one end with two bolts. I'm not sure the purpose of this or if it is correct for my '73.
Pictures attached are pilfered from other threads.
Thanks members.
scrz914
The last picture is curtesy of Thomas Bliznik. Thanks Thomas. It shows the differences in the cable receiver. Maybe someone can check theirs and verify the years.
TJB/914
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Sep 8 2009, 10:28 PM) *

The last picture is curtesy of Thomas Bliznik. Thanks Thomas. It shows the differences in the cable receiver. Maybe someone can check theirs and verify the years.

Tony,

Here's a better photo of the air distributor box that came off a 1973 D-Jet F.I. System. Note, the throttle bracket is slimmer than the one showing on my 74. Can you guys look at your 73 & 74 air box and report back. Slim or large bracket??? I really would like to know for the CW record!! Help Pat.

Tom
JeffBowlsby
This is not a 1973 engine. It has the 1975-76 EGR plumbing, which is what connects to the end of your air filter box. You might start with checking your engien code to see what you have. wink.gif
scrz914
I have a feeling this engine is made up of several different years. The long block is a 1.7. The FI is 2.0 (PO actually redrilled the intake flanges to fit 4 bolt heads). The injectors are a combo of yellows and greens. Since my airbox has that plate, it could be that all the FI is from a '75/'76. The rear tin (upright) has a bunch of extra holes and a slot that look factory but I can't ID. Maybe it's from a '75 as well.
Whew, I have a long way to go on this motor.
championgt1
My 74 2.0 has the thicker bracket.

Click to view attachment

scrz914
My 74 2.0 has the thicker bracket.

That's what I figured. Then I have a '74 or later throttle box. The bracket on mine looks like it's bent upwards and the seam below is parting.

Thanks for the quick answers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.