Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SubCenter Console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
One of my 'back of my mind' projects has always been a center console with an enclosed back to house a subwoofer. One of my newest customers is a cabinet maker, so I swapped some labor with me and he finally made my imagination a reality. The next step is to have it upholstered. boldblue.gif

I can have these made, if people are interested, but they are labor intensive, so the bare box (as pictured) would cost around $300. If anyone is interested, let me know and maybe we can do a group buy and bring the price down.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
The guage panels are 'loose' to allow for upholstery.
tat2dphreak
MDF is good stuff for speaker boxes, but to me it makes it look a little thick. I've made boxes out of plexiglass and MDF, but I don't know if you can upholster plexiglass very well... I would try to find a thinner MDF, or fiberglass, that would make it cheaper too. plus, doesn't some one, morph maybe, make these already?

what kind of sub are you looking at adding?

I thought about building a small box that goes behind the seat, similar to how truck speakers fit. I'm pretty sure there would be room. I just haven't laid it out.
McMark
That MDF is exactly the right size to replicate the stock console. The stock console is a thin wood wall with a plastic 'frame' along the edges. That plastic frame is 15mm wide/thick and the MDF is 13mm wide/thick, so once it's upolstered, it'll be perfect.

Morph makes a FG footwell sub box that work well. His 'center console' box doesn't work with gauges.

I wanted mine to:

A) maximize the box volume
B ) be safe from passenger feet
C) allow the use of stock gauges, or custom 4 gauge setups
D) perfectly replicate the stock console, as much as possible.

I made this one for me. I know it's expensive, and that's okay with me because it does everything I want from it. If no one else wants one, that's fine too. It doesn't hurt my feelings any. I long ago came to terms with the fact that I have a different take on things than most people. Not better, not worse, just different.
McMark
Here's a comparison, stock width, to MDF width.
Spoke
The console looks nice. I made one similarly out of plywood however. I decided not to put a sub in it because I thought the sub might damage the gauges, especially the clock.

Do you think the sub will interfere with the clock?
tat2dphreak
ok, maybe it just looks thicker in the pick smile.gif we always used 3/4" MDF it was heavy as shit and hard to cut

I didn't realize the other box didn't allow gauges to work sad.gif

I wouldn't think the clock would like being around a 4lb magnet biggrin.gif but I don't use a clock.
RJMII
Mark,

do you have measurements, or could you get measurements for the console?

I've been contemplating one, only using fiberglass.

also, which surface does the sub get?

and I don't really care if the clock works... it just wouldn't be a 914 if *everything* worked. poke.gif
jmill
I'm working on something similar but more stock like without the whole speaker option. Making an actual enclosure includes one hell of a lot of angles. Not one of them is the same. Labor intensive is right unless you want to create jigs for each piece. Thats even more work. It does pay off if you can sell a bunch of them. From your pictures it looks like he got all the joints tight. Looks like nice work.
RoadGlue
Looks great Mark!

We always used 3/4" MDF well for the box as well. If it's going to be a sealed box, make sure you stuff it with a LOT of poly fill.

smile.gif
McMark
This is the sub that I'll be using. It's a Pioneer shallow 8" sub that only uses 0.15 - 0.5 ft3. I've used them a couple times and they work well enough for me.
RoadGlue
Pussy! I have twenty of these in my 914:
http://www.woofersetc.com/p4922/XXX18--RE-...m-Subwoofer.htm
McMark
Those could be wheels! Sub wheels!
underthetire
I made one too. Not as nice as that. I but a 8 in mine, no gauge problems with the MDF.
DBCooper
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 10 2009, 07:53 PM) *

Not better, not worse, just different.

That right there is wisdom.
alex914
That is very nice. Are you going to cover it in stock looking vinyl?

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 10 2009, 06:44 PM) *

One of my 'back of my mind' projects has always been a center console with an enclosed back to house a subwoofer. One of my newest customers is a cabinet maker, so I swapped some labor with me and he finally made my imagination a reality. The next step is to have it upholstered. boldblue.gif

I can have these made, if people are interested, but they are labor intensive, so the bare box (as pictured) would cost around $300. If anyone is interested, let me know and maybe we can do a group buy and bring the price down.

The guage panels are 'loose' to allow for upholstery.

Jeffs9146
I did mine by fiberglassing the inside of a stock one and adding a cap on the top. I routed out the top before attaching and fiberglassing inside!
jeeperjohn56
Hey Mark , that looks great, what is the size hole for the gauges? Ineed to make a new panel for four gauges. Remember we added a cht gauge. Also what would you wire the light to, I'm guessing thats what the extra wire is on the gauge that didn't get hooked up is for the cht gauge? confused24.gif John
914four
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 10 2009, 08:44 PM) *

Anyone made one of these for A/C cars?
McMark
QUOTE(alex914 @ Sep 13 2009, 12:08 PM) *
Yep. Stock look, all the way.

QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Sep 13 2009, 12:49 PM) *

Hey Mark , that looks great, what is the size hole for the gauges? Ineed to make a new panel for four gauges. Remember we added a cht gauge. Also what would you wire the light to, I'm guessing thats what the extra wire is on the gauge that didn't get hooked up is for the cht gauge? confused24.gif John

The holes are stock size. He can make any size I ask though.

QUOTE(PH1 @ Sep 13 2009, 08:18 PM) *

Not that I know of, but if your interested, let me know and we can talk.
Rod
I wanted a sub in mine but didn't want a centre console. I tried behind the seats, but there's just not enough space sad.gif So I took the passenger footrest, made a mould of it and then fitted a 8" sub up under the dash. From outside you wouldn't know there is a sub there and it sounds smoke.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
nsr-jamie
Wow! Those subs from Roadglue there cost more than my entire car av-943.gif Serious w00t.gif
ConeDodger
Very nice Mark! When you're my age and your car finally runs, it will have some great innovations!!! poke.gif biggrin.gif lol-2.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 10 2009, 08:01 PM) *

The console looks nice. I made one similarly out of plywood however. I decided not to put a sub in it because I thought the sub might damage the gauges, especially the clock.

The magnetism will not bother any gauges whatsoever, i have customed even closer than the example here does not affect anygauges.. they would have to be touching for the magnet to affect and even then maybe.. the box here does look thick, great for sound. but i found that the thickeness along with the taper angle will affect your foot area at the gas pedal alarmingly so and i have regular feet size 9 and regular tennis shoes.. even what complicates it further is speaker selection as you need mounting depth for good speakers but that affect the taper again and grill desighn protrusion also affect your foot space again, IN my honest opinion this work is best done by the owner of the speakers and feet, you could spend $$$ on a box then only be able to where driving shoes and use shitty speakers etc.. ect,, looks good in pics though, but when all is said and done it can be trickier than just making a good looking box, also an 8 or 10 inch sub will take more than 8 or 10inches mounted allow for the frame of said speaker and it varies by manufacter.. good work though, and all that considered it is labor intensive and if your off or your work shoes are big then you just kinda screwed yourself for hopefully good bass not the kind that sound like someone pounding out of their coffin...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Sep 14 2009, 08:50 AM) *

The magnetism will not bother any gauges whatsoever, i have customed even closer than the example here does not affect anygauges.. they would have to be touching for the magnet to affect and even then maybe.. the box here does look thick, great for sound. but i found that the thickeness along with the taper angle will affect your foot area at the gas pedal alarmingly so and i have regular feet size 9 and regular tennis shoes.. even what complicates it further is speaker selection as you need mounting depth for good speakers but that affect the taper again and grill desighn protrusion also affect your foot space again, IN my honest opinion this work is best done by the owner of the speakers and feet, you could spend $$$ on a box then only be able to where driving shoes and use shitty speakers etc.. ect,, looks good in pics though, but when all is said and done it can be trickier than just making a good looking box, also an 8 or 10 inch sub will take more than 8 or 10inches mounted allow for the frame of said speaker and it varies by manufacter.. good work though, and all that considered it is labor intensive and if your off or your work shoes are big then you just kinda screwed yourself for hopefully good bass not the kind that sound like someone pounding out of their coffin...

Don't worry. Marky knows what he is doing. aktion035.gif

I just got off the phone with McMark who pointed out that my post said Marky knows what he is going and not what he is doing. As a penalty, I am turning in my PhD for a two day suspension. biggrin.gif (I am off work anyway).
McMark
Wow. I'll try to keep my sarcasm under control.

1. I know the center console makes foot space tight. Were you astute enough to notice the scratches on the side from where my foot hit when I test fit it?
2. Mounting depth is not an issue, as mentioned earlier in this thread. The shallow 8" sub has a mounting depth of 2.5". I've used them before and know, for a fact, that they sound great to my ears. And my ears are the only ones I care about.
3. The grill will protrude to the passenger side. I thought this was obvious, but apparently it's not.
4. I know the frame of the speaker is bigger than the cone. rolleyes.gif

5. I can't believe you just implied that I'm dumb enough to let a speaker box KILL ME! ohmy.gif

This isn't the first time I've built something custom. This isn't the first time I've been in a 914. Thanks for the worthless comment.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Rod @ Sep 14 2009, 02:19 AM) *

I wanted a sub in mine but didn't want a centre console. I tried behind the seats, but there's just not enough space sad.gif So I took the passenger footrest, made a mould of it and then fitted a 8" sub up under the dash. From outside you wouldn't know there is a sub there and it sounds smoke.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image

That is nice Rod! That has motivated me to attempt something like your idea!
Rod
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 14 2009, 07:31 PM) *

That is nice Rod! That has motivated me to attempt something like your idea!

Thankyou smile.gif If you want any advice or pointers just ask. The whole system can be seen over on a UK Forum here.
East coaster
'Nuther...
Click to view attachment
Spoke
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Sep 14 2009, 12:50 PM) *

The magnetism will not bother any gauges whatsoever

I was thinking more of the vibration from the sub. Those old VDO clocks have very fragile plastic gears which tend to snap their axle pins and stop working.
alex914
Consider one pre-ordered for me!

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 13 2009, 09:49 PM) *

QUOTE(alex914 @ Sep 13 2009, 12:08 PM) *
Yep. Stock look, all the way.

QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Sep 13 2009, 12:49 PM) *

The holes are stock size. He can make any size I ask though.

QUOTE(PH1 @ Sep 13 2009, 08:18 PM) *

Not that I know of, but if your interested, let me know and we can talk.

RJMII
Mark,

would one of these fit in your new Vacuum bagging setup? If you were to glass one instead of MDF"in' it... ?
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 14 2009, 11:20 AM) *

Wow. I'll try to keep my sarcasm under control.

1. I know the center console makes foot space tight. Were you astute enough to notice the scratches on the side from where my foot hit when I test fit it?
2. Mounting depth is not an issue, as mentioned earlier in this thread. The shallow 8" sub has a mounting depth of 2.5". I've used them before and know, for a fact, that they sound great to my ears. And my ears are the only ones I care about.
3. The grill will protrude to the passenger side. I thought this was obvious, but apparently it's not.
4. I know the frame of the speaker is bigger than the cone. rolleyes.gif

5. I can't believe you just implied that I'm dumb enough to let a speaker box KILL ME! ohmy.gif

This isn't the first time I've built something custom. This isn't the first time I've been in a 914. Thanks for the worthless comment.

sorry dude, did not intend to hurt your feelings and was not bashing your desighn... or assuming your anything, in fact to my error i was not even thinking of you or your 914 experience, i was only commenting on the troubles of making such speaker boxes. don't take it so personal. I apologize and will not comment where you tread .. peace out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.