Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mark Donohue's 917/30 Cam2 car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Donohuefan
I'm hoping maybe somebody on this board might have taken photos of the ex-Mark Donohue/Roger Penske 917/30-003 which Otis Chandler owned during the late 1970's and early 1980's.

There is nicely manufactured diecast model of the car in 18th scale, but it has none of the different/correct details and modifications that made it different from the road-racing Sunoco version of the car. I'm hoping I might find someone who saw the car while Mr. Chandler owned it, and took a few good detail photos of the car (particularly the rear of the chassis with the unique intercooler setup). The car had all of the changes made to it for the Cam2 record run when it was purchased from Mr. Penske in 1976.

ANY help or leads would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS! smile.gif
I remember seeing it at Riverside but never took any pictures of it. My close friend of 35+ years that 'might' have - just past away last year:(
I remember seeing it at the POC events... you might want to start there as there for additional leads.
URY914
Go here for my shots of it at RRIII....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/sets/72157605068741814/
carr914
The last 20-30 seconds have shots of the Cam2 917/30 at Talladega with Donohue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT6bJeheAN0

T.C.
Donohuefan
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 11 2009, 06:18 AM) *

Thanks for the link to your photos. This is actually one of the 3 cars made from spare parts. The only real raced 917/30's are Otis' old car (917/30-003) and the Porsche Museum car (917/30-002). Technically 917/30-001 exists, but was only used to test the variable chassis lengths, and only raced in Europe. It is the Martini "917/20" at the Porsche Museum.

Thank again! smilie_pokal.gif
carr914
Out of my Personnal Collection

T.C.

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
pre cam2
URY914
drunk.gif
URY914
drunk.gif
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentOtis (Times/ Mirror Publ.) threw some great Can Am/ IROC parties here at Riverside. This is the program from the 1973 races.
Marty
Donohuefan
Sixnotfour & Ury914,

Is there any chance I could get a good higher level resolution scans of your photos? Maybe I don't know how to do it on this website, but I didn't see a way to make a copy of them. If you could send them to my main email, that would be a great help (eBAY917k@AOL.COM).

I see Mark was in his IROC suit, while he was jumping back and forth between cars (917/30 and IROC RSR's).

I still have one of the "Mark Donohue" original name scripts that went on the 914 he won at Riverside in 1973. Some how it came with the spare decals from Roger to Otis Chandler when he got the 917/30.

THANKS A BUNCH FOR EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING SO FAR!!! driving.gif
Donohuefan
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 12 2009, 08:38 AM) *

Out of my Personnal Collection

T.C.

Click to view attachment

This looks like Mark with the Ferrari 512M somewhere. Do you remember where you took it?
sixnotfour
you will have to register here;
http://www.schlegelmilch.com/New/
URY914
Which ones of mine do you want?
The pics in Posts #8 &9?
Donohuefan
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 14 2009, 09:04 AM) *

Which ones of mine do you want?
The pics in Posts #8 &9?

Both would be great!

Thanks!
Donohuefan
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 13 2009, 08:19 PM) *

Sixnotfour,

I went to the site you listed, filled out their registration, got a "Wait for your email to complete registration", but have waited over 12 hours and have received nothing in my emails (or spams). I wait another day and see what happens.

Donohuefan
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 13 2009, 08:19 PM) *

Sixnotfour,

I tried contacting the site directly, and they were able to help me get my registration issues resolved. I was able to view the photos you helped me with here, plus also enjoyed looking at many others.

THANKS! driving.gif
URY914
Have you tried asking on the Early 911 Forum?
Donohuefan
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 18 2009, 01:06 PM) *

URY914.

Nope, not until this morning with your help. Just registered, and starting browsing through its forums. I posted a "new topic" for my request, and we will see how turns out.

THANKS for the lead. smile.gif

doug
Donohuefan
Hi guys,

Still looking for a few good reference photos of the intercoolers. I was able to get some great assistance from Andial and have created a drawing of what rear chassis mods need to be done.

IPB Image

I am NOT a draftsman or artist, but hopefully this drawing will help as a placement guide for the new chassis extension. This is what you would need to "cobble up" to replace the farthest most rear framework (which held the intercoolers). A couple of notes:

1) This image here was made in Photoshop and placed on a 8.5 x 11" piece of paper (horizontally, of course). I put a 1" reference bar on it, but I'm not sure how your printer might print it out.

2) It is scale to fit the 1/18 scale Exoto chassis. My Sunoco version of the model is in storage (I don't even have one of the Cam2 models yet), so I wasn't able to measure the tubing diameters (I was provided basic chassis dimensions by a fellow modeler). My rendering is mainly to help you get all of the tubing placed properly. When I can get accurate tubing dimensions from the model, I might redo it with the properly scaled tubing.

3) The green colored tubing was done to a smaller diameter to allow people to understand that particular section better in the top view. From what I understand, pretty much all of the tubing was the same diameter.

As soon as I can get better intercooler photos, I draw those up for everybody. If you are interested in working on your own Exoto Cam2 car, drop me an email, and I'll try to keep you updated with info and our progress.

Enjoy!
Donohuefan
I've was told about the CKNet Porsche site by a few people, and it looks like a great site for the types of things I'm looking for. I've been trying for 3 weeks but can't get my registration completed.

I never get my registration confirmation email, and every one of email emails to them has been undeliverable (returned). I've tried several different email accounts, used several different screen names, and even tried using combination of all of these with both Firefox and IE8, with no success.

I've had a few other people (one in England, too) try to contact them for me, but their emails are not going through either.

If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it. It seems like the site is working fine, just no one I been able to reach recently can get an email to them.

Thanks.

doug
carr914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 18 2009, 03:06 PM) *

Isn't that a Forum you have to pay in order to Post?

Also there was a good program on the Chandlers on PBS last night. It showed Otis racing his 935 @ Watkins Glen, then later his Museum and him sitting in the 917-30

T.C.
Donohuefan
T.C.,

I never saw any mention of any dues needed. The strange thing is you can't even get an email to them. I'll keep trying to find out if there is something I'm missing.

Rats, I was home all night, and never heard of a Chandler feature, let alone on PBS. I guess I can email them and see when it might be replayed.

Thanks.

Doug
carr914
The Chandler show on PBS centered on Otis, his Father Norman, his Mother Buff, Grandfather Harry and his Great Grandfather General Otis and how the Family and the LA Times shaped California. Also the greed and jealousy of the rest of the family. It was quite interesting.

T.C.
maf914
Doug,

Have you seen the 1/18 Minichamps Porsche 917/30?

http://www.amazon.com/1973-Porsche-917-Sun...1576&sr=1-1
maf914
hijacked.gif

Speaking of models, I recently ordered the reissued 1/12 Tamiya Porsche 910 from Tower Hobbies. I don't know if I will ever build it, but I couldn't pass it up. Tamiya reissues their big kits every so often, but they don't stay around for long. So if you want one, now is the time. Tower's price was $107. Amazon's was $151, so it pays to shop around.

Tamiya has also reissued their 1/12 Martini Porsche 935 which I think is $150 or so at Tower. I bought one of these years ago when working in Germany. A hobby shop had one in their window, the box somewhat faded by the sun, on sale for 99 DM. The exchange rate at the time was pretty good at around 3 DM = $1, so you know it was a long time ago.

Hijack over.
Donohuefan
One model that was rumored to have been made by Tamiya was going to be a 1/12 scale 917K. It makes perfect sense for a killer model because of all of the interest in the actual cars, but also because of all of the variations that it could have produced. Lots of "stories" circulated 20 years or so ago on why it didn't get produced (the main one seemed to be the patterns were destroyed in a fire), but it is a true shame that Tayima did not produce it for whatever reason. I think for all of the above reasons, it would have been by far their best selling 1/12 scale model.
sad.gif

I wonder if Porsche would stand in the way of any manufacturer that would want to make such a thing? Tamiya however, seems to be one of the few capable companies to tackle such a project (and do it justice).

doug
maf914
A Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 917 would be great. I wonder if current liscensing fees are the reason we don't see to many Porsche models in plastic?

There are a few other 1/12 scale Porsches out there. ABC/Brianza Resin Cars, has a 1/12 917 LH #3 Martini (Hippie) and a 935 Moby Dick on the way. They aren't cheap at $500 and I have no idea about quality. Check Island Collectibles at:

http://www.islandcollectibles.net/prod023.htm
Donohuefan
Well, since first posting my request for help here, I've got several helpful people who have shared their personal photos, and a few photos from various magazines and books. THANK YOU! I also have had the pleasure of being given access to some great shots of the car taken at Riverside back in 1980 while Mr. Chandler owned it. I'm still holding out hope for one other significant person to help me finally get the detail photos of the front of the intercoolers I need. I'm keeping my fingers crossed those will still become available.

IPB Image

Here is photo of the model we are starting from. It is the 1/18 scale Exoto "prototype" 917/30, which as you can see, never existed like it was released. Fortunately, the "prototype" is identical to the red & white Cam2 version of their models, just without the aluminum wheel-dishes and with a different paint job (it has a tonneau cover, but I forgot to put it on for the this photo). A lot of things, like the mirrors and front chin spoiler will have to go for a proper Cam2 car.

IPB Image

Here are the parts that I've removed so far(I just got the model on Monday), that will either be discarded, modified, or replaced with more accurate parts. The most import part of this project is to put the twin intercoolers on the model which Exoto totally left-off. This requires chopping off the rear chassis frame, and fabricating a new rear chassis portion. Also, the intercoolers and their related hardware, must be scratch-built. A lot of body changes will need to be done, so repainting it to the red & white Cam2 colors isn't a big deal.

IPB Image

Here is quick photo of the first mod I did yesterday (just to prove this isn't just a "pipe-dream" project). The model had a modern suede covered steering wheel, which was wrong for the 1973 race cars. The model is beautifully made, and replicates the modern "made-from-spare-parts-car" (probably 917/30-004) perfectly, but many things aren't right for the car in 1975 (or 1973). I still have to make the proper "metal"cover-plate to match the period photo.

I know most of you who take a peak at this posting will have no interest in a model car project (check out our project on www.Scale18.com if you do, we will periodically post updates on the progress of it), but just wanted to give everyone any update on what a few photo contributions can accomplish (and shamelessly ask for more help if you can). I'll be posting up all of our working photos on ImageShack soon in case you want to see the GREAT help we've been given (except for any photos "loaned" to us but were requested to not be made public).

Cheers!

doug
SGB
Wow. I just spent an hour at Scale18. Found your thread too, doug. Much cool stuff there. Have fun! smile.gif
Donohue1973
QUOTE(Donohuefan @ Sep 13 2009, 06:45 PM) *

Sixnotfour & Ury914,

Is there any chance I could get a good higher level resolution scans of your photos? Maybe I don't know how to do it on this website, but I didn't see a way to make a copy of them. If you could send them to my main email, that would be a great help (eBAY917k@AOL.COM).

I see Mark was in his IROC suit, while he was jumping back and forth between cars (917/30 and IROC RSR's).

I still have one of the "Mark Donohue" original name scripts that went on the 914 he won at Riverside in 1973. Some how it came with the spare decals from Roger to Otis Chandler when he got the 917/30.

THANKS A BUNCH FOR EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING SO FAR!!! :driving:

HI...How did you come across the decals? I have some too.

bulitt
Try pics from Rennsport reunion 1 at lime rock.

Link
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.