Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your engine compartment pictures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
nsr-jamie
Just as the topic says, please post pictures of your engine compartment. I am getting ready to pull my engine out soon and will be doing a clean up in there and cleaning the engine and gearbox too. I have a 1.7 liter engine that has been bored out to 2.2 and have Duel Dell 40 carbs...please post any pics you have of your engine compartment, especially 4 cylinder cars with twin carbs but anything is great to look at and maybe give me some ideas here too. Thank you !!

Jamie biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
dlo914
huh.gif Oh crap...someone stole our engine sad.gif

IPB Image

j/k soon to be a Subaru EJ22 engine w/ a red intake manifold in there.
iamchappy
Ok, I'll go first.
SirAndy
driving.gif

slow914
Make sure you take care of this part biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
jmmotorsports
My 70 1.7

Jerry
v82go

You asked for it.
t collins
Click to view attachment
martinef1963
Here she is.
zx-niner
With stock 1.8:

Click to view attachment

After Raby engine installed:

Click to view attachment
ahdoman
Lots of room to work...

Click to view attachment
jaxdream
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Sep 14 2009, 06:40 AM) *

Lots of room to work...

Click to view attachment

What kind of sound deadening material is that on your firewall ??? And how well does it work ??

Jaxdream
Kargeek
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Before and After
Socalandy
from my 72
nsr-jamie
Hi, thanks for all the pictures. Those are some really nice 914's!! It also gave me a couple of ideas too....I love those carb covers in yellow...that is something I would like to do with my car but in red to cover up the rusty square dellorto carbs...wonder if they will fit.

I ordered one of those crankcase ventilation kts too...I like the hoses on yours better than mine, that is something I will have to change out too.

While I have the engine out, I want to give it a full clean and detail and (NO LAUGHING PLEASE) I want to dress it up a bit with some parts like a new Bosch blue coil, blue ignition wires and new hoses preferably the Earls goodrich one with those cool fittings....the problem is over here in Japan I cant really get much....

Anybody know where to get some of those parts...?

Thanks and cheers beerchug.gif
flat4
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 16 2009, 02:36 PM) *

While I have the engine out, I want to give it a full clean and detail and (NO LAUGHING PLEASE) I want to dress it up a bit with some parts like a new Bosch blue coil, blue ignition wires and new hoses preferably the Earls goodrich one with those cool fittings....the problem is over here in Japan I cant really get much....

Anybody know where to get some of those parts...?

I did 5 years in Japan (Tokyo) and found the best way to get hard to find items was befriend someone in the US military. Then you can get items shipped to them for the cost of local US postage. It saved the $10 item you couldn't get locally from costing $60 after fedex fees.

Is there a base near Nagoya?

Cheers, Steve
nsr-jamie
Hi, thanks for the tip, but unfortunately no bases around here and no friends in the military right now...lots of shops in the US don't want to send stuff to me through the post office and insist on UPS or FED EX...I tried to order from CB performance one of those crankcase ventilation kits and they want 110 for shipping, it could be shipped for 20 through the post office....shipping is killing my 914 hobby sad.gif
VaccaRabite
IPB Image

I still need to clean up the wires.

Zach
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(t collins @ Sep 13 2009, 11:38 PM) *

Cool, a bit late to reply, but can you tell me what kind of Distributor you have there??
marks914
IPB Image

Mark
J P Stein
"Sumthin's happenin' here, what it is ain't exactly clear...."
jt914-6
A couple of interesting engine bays. First is George's 916...note the AC...nice to have in a six. Second is Richard's super nice V-8....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here's mine...MSD box is mounted behind passenger's seat...battery up front..no relay board...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914pwer
here is mine not finished yet welder.gif

IPB Image
windforfun
It's just a 1.7.
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
computers4kids
engine compartment begins here...
IPB Image
a little here...
IPB Image
stock 1.8 85 hp laugh.gif
IPB Image
JmuRiz
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Nov 25 2010, 07:51 AM) *

A couple of interesting engine bays.
Here's mine...MSD box is mounted behind passenger's seat...battery up front..no relay board...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

How does you car wiring work w/o a relay board? I'm wondering what people do when doing a 6 conversion. Thanks.
t collins
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Nov 25 2010, 04:59 AM) *

QUOTE(t collins @ Sep 13 2009, 11:38 PM) *

Cool, a bit late to reply, but can you tell me what kind of Distributor you have there??

Hi Jamie,
Sorry I missed your request for my dizzy info, and I wanted to let you know its a Mallory UniLite.
Hontec
IPB Image
GeorgeRud
If you're doing a -6 conversion, there is no real need for a relay board as most of the connections could be made directly from the front harness, especially if you're using carbs and a front mounted fuel pump. The relay board only acts as a convenient place to plug in the harnesses, IMHO.

If you look and trace the circuits on a factory -6 you'll see that most of the circuits on the relay board are just direct connections from the main harness to the engine harness, and the others can be easily added with just some simple wiring.
sean_v8_914
this is a customer-fabricated throttle cable holder with a top pull. I repaired the typical hell hole nasty
sean_v8_914
hell-less
sean_v8_914
dont forget to mask off the 2 grounding lugs in there if you paint
sean_v8_914
low center carb pull
sean_v8_914
10jreen's 2.4
Dearly departed, R.I.P.
sean_v8_914
here's a little 1911 L jet for ya
sean_v8_914
it was a little rusty up in there
sean_v8_914
track appliance
sean_v8_914
here is Ziggy's 2.0 back in 2005. it is in teh 10jreen now. I cant believe the beating it has/is taking. I have never treated this motor with the respect it deserves. if it lets go tomorrow, I would be happy. it doesnt owe me a dime or a mile. it has been in 3 cars, 2 of them were DD and AX duty. Part of me wants to take it apart to inspect...nah, right foot down.
plymouth37
Well if URY's is fair game I guess I will post mine too! biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

And here she is before the destruction began:
Click to view attachment
TJB/914
My 914 parts car engine photo evilgrin.gif You didn't say it had to be purty laugh.gif

Tom
TJB/914
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Nov 26 2010, 09:47 AM) *

My 914 parts car engine photo evilgrin.gif You didn't say it had to be purty laugh.gif

Tom

Later after some clean up. pray.gif

Tom
J P Stein
Nathan:

The relay board is used if your alternator does not have an internal regulator.
You don't have to use it but you will need to mount the external regulator some where/some how. It is wise to know what alternator you have before buttoning up/installing the motor.
jt914-6
Nathan...I'm using a weather proof trailer type connector for the connections I needed. Off the top of my head the reverse lights, oil pressure, and starter solenoid wires come to mind....I still use the external regulator alt. and the wire connector from the alt. that went to the relay board connects directly into the regulator...I did it because of not many things on the relay board were going to be used and I eliminated future pin connection problems with the board....
AndyB
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Nov 26 2010, 12:47 PM) *

Tom

Tom I like the natural patena that is show very nice biggrin.gif beer.gif
campbellcj
The paint is pretty bad in there but the working bits are nice -

IPB Image
914R Engine bay by cjcam, on Flickr
moparrob
On the topic of alternators and regulators,

I also have a '79 3.0 engine and (obvious newb question) was wondering how to tell if my alternator has an internal regulator or not. confused24.gif

Don't mean to hijack your thread but this did stimulate my thoughts...
campbellcj
As it was when I bought it, with a 2.4/four. I like it better now smile.gif

IPB Image
2.4 four cylinder, as purchased in 2002 by cjcam, on Flickr
DanT
some orange
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.