Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outer door fuzzies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
I have removed the 3 screws that hold the old fuzzy strip on. I thought the aluminum track ( that holds the fuzzy strip) would come off the door and the new strips would slide into it. It didn't. What is holding these on? OR don't they come off and you have to slide the new fuzzys in from the front once the window post is removed. If the 3 screws don't hold the track to the door, I think they are pretty useless. I doubt the new fuzzy will will move once in place in the track. Thanks in advance for the advice and guidance.
ahdoman
That track is a pain! The track slips over the door. It is actually a "U" channel. The 3 screws go through the first leg of the channel then through the door then through the second leg. Because of this the screw holes in the strip deform and pull into the metal strip on the door. I little careful prying where the screws went through will help to pop them loose. As for installing the new fuzzy strip; clean the channel real good and straighten the channel it slides into. I had my wife feed the strip into the channel while I pulled.
jaxdream
agree.gif

Jaxdream
detoxcowboy
drunk.gif Adohman had help from his wife.. Feeding it through seems like a good idea and logically it appears to be a good idea and after help and pain AND LUCK they would both slide in all the way but that may happen and or it may get stuck 2/3 of the way and then what?? pain and small destruction of the HTF fuzzy Pain to install and get too channel. these fuzzy strips are not stiff enough for a forcefull feeding through a 30 year old track cleaned or not.. so I have tried the feed challenge.... but I found that you line up the holes put the top of the fuzzy in the top of the channel then starting in the middle using a somewhat dulled screwdriver pry up a small sction at a time the lower fuzzy strip into the lower channel working your way outwards. after you bet about 2 inches worth in the middle the rest just fals into place andf you can check to see that your in the channel with your fingers.
In my opinion after redoing all and every rubber and channel and fuzzy in my car find that the genuine oem stuf goes in better little by little not slided ad sliding will eventually get your whatever stuckj in the channel no comew out no go in anymore.. Glad to see someone else get into the finer resto.. etc.. blah blah blah.. try my way unitl you at least see what i am saying the you can always pull out and slide it in if that is what you think works for you.. believe me it will be one of these tedious yet simple jobs.. sheeplove.gif
SUNAB914
I use silicon spray on all my rubber. yes the fuzzy channel is the hardest, use silicon to make it easier. I think I may have used a screw driver to pry in the fuzzy strip instead of trying to slide it in.
914werke
Here's a trick: the Fuzzies are steel lined so use some plyers and gently bend the entire fuzzy length into a soft U shape insert into the channel and press flat spreading the fuzzy lenght into upper & lower guides
SirAndy
Don't try to slide 'em in, it'll take forever.

Instead, put the lower edge into the channel and then use a small flatblade screwdriver to wedge in the upper edge, slowly, piece by piece.

popcorn[1].gif Andy
markb
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 14 2009, 10:48 AM) *

Don't try to slide 'em in, it'll take forever.

Instead, put the lower edge into the channel and then use a small flatblade screwdriver to wedge in the upper edge, slowly, piece by piece.

popcorn[1].gif Andy

agree.gif BTDT
jk76.914
I ran out of 4 letter words when I did mine.

Finally, I took the aluminum extrusion off, and installed the fuzzy into the channel off the car. You STILL need to be sure the extrusion is straight and clean. Sight down it, looking for kinks and nicks, and carefully straighten things out with your hands or maybe some flat pliers.

I then drilled holes in the fuzzy from the aluminum side, using the original holes for size and as guide holes. When I put it back on the door, I used an awl to line up the holes with those in the door, and then screwed #5 stainless flat head sheet metal screws home. That's US #5, NOT M5. I got them at McMaster-Carr for a few bucks for a bunch.

Anyway, before you purists blast me- when you tighten the screws, the cone on the bottom of the flat head causes the fuzzy to "part", and the screw ends up seating on the aluminum anyway. The fuzzy, being fuzzy and all, closes ranks, and you have to look pretty hard to see what was done. And besides, the screws are invisible after the glass, the inner fuzzy and the outer squeegee are in place.

Those #5 screws go in everywhere an M3.2 (or whatever those pesky things are) and give you just a bit more bite in your old worn holes anyway.

The other advantage of this approach- you can change your fuzzy WITHOUT removing your triangular "vent" window.

Worked for me.
Jim

EJP914
My thanks to all of you for the advice and guidance. I think the aluminum channels will stay on the doors and I'll put the fuzzies in with the screwdriver method . Thanks again. You guys are terrifc!

Ed
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(EJP914 @ Sep 14 2009, 07:20 PM) *

My thanks to all of you for the advice and guidance. I think the aluminum channels will stay on the doors and I'll put the fuzzies in with the screwdriver method . Thanks again. You guys are terrifc!

Ed

A little bit of glycerin will help a LOT! Don't use silicon, because it will migrate to the edges of the paint. You won't see it, but when you have to respray one of those sections, the paint won't adhere.

Jeez! Will you peoiple ever stop thinking that sillicone is the wonder drug!

If nothing else use the the lube you use on your "other". At least it washes off. NO SILICONE.
Pat

Ask me why
76-914
The screwdriver trick sounds good. I'm coming up on that in the next month or 2. I had to drill mine out. Damned little phillips heads. Does anyone know what size those screws are?
993inNC
Didn't see it mentioned here, and I just tackled my fuzzy strip channels. After the screws come out, the channel will pull off by pulling down from the center hole in the door skin. As was mentioned, the back side is U shaped and fits over the door frame from the bottom....up and the screws hold it in place. My question (having not searched yet) is who carries those fuzzy strips? Pelican? Other vendor? Still stripping my car for sand blasting and resto.
EJP914
I bought my new fuzzies thru lcoal Porsche dealer at the insane price of $62 EACH. Auto Atlanta was few dollars more. Pelican was a few bucks less but I would have paid shipping from CA to PA. Did not know where else to look.By the way, part # is 91453195710.
993inNC
Wow, awfully proud of those! Thanks for the part #
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.