Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introducing... Lily... or Pat... or Buttercup...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
Finally had a chance to snap a few photos of my first Porsche. She's a '74 2.0. Excellent mechanical condition, and mostly original - Weber carb & exhaust are the only non-stock items I'm aware of. Resprayed in the original Saturn Yellow by a previous owner, with some patchy touch-up where rust was removed just behind the doors.

Going to get plates sometime this week.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

No major plans yet, other than to driving.gif as often as i get a chance. If I get ambitious, might try to get the odometer and heater fan working again.
Pat Garvey
Nice!

I'd put the original imjection back on. but it's still sweet!

Think I'd call it "butterball".
Pat
tat2dphreak
welcome.png

don't mind pat. he's picky smile.gif

bottom line if your car is running, that I wouldn't mess with it without enjoying it... you can swap to FI or dual carbs later if you heart desires, but it's your car to enjoy! I think the car is dead sexy!
dlee6204
That's a nice looking car! Have fun with it! driving.gif
naro914
I think if you can't decide on a name, you need to put it up for a vote from the community.

Give us background, how you came about owning it, why you bought it, and why the various name options. You, and the car, will definitely be part of the 914 community that way.

FYI, my wife and I own 2 914's, both are named: Papa Smurf and Huey. There are stories behind each name, and honestly someone else came up with Papa Smurfs name (after much beer and beer and a few more beers...) so there needs to be a reason for the name, not just random.

BTW, very nice, and a very good choice being a '74 2.0. that is what Papa Smurf started out as... smile.gif and if you keep the carbs, go with dual carbs. Looks and responds better.
FourBlades

Very nice looking car. I love the color and the wheels.

If it were my car I'd call it the "flying banana" biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

You have joined a very exclusive and cool club, I mean world.

John
flipb
Thanks for the comments.

In the long run, we may go with dual carbs or back to FI. But seeing as how it's my first 914 and I've put less than 100 miles on her so far, I'll wait til I've got a good feel for things before making that call.

How did I come to own it? eBay. blink.gif

I've always had a thing for 914s and grew up a few miles from AA. Decided that with two kids under 3, now's the perfect time to indulge. screwy.gif Started looking and before long, this one showed up on eBay and only an hour from home. The seller - despite second thoughts about whether he'd fulfill the deal - turned out to be a great guy and even sewed on a new steering wheel cover before I came to pick it up. He spent a good bit on rust rehab and POR 15 for all the vulnerable spots.

As for the name:
Pat: Sort of androgenous, since she makes some very un-ladylike sounds, not to mention she's the color of butter
Buttercup: Yellow, duh
Lily: I dunno, floral, yellow, something.

The PO's family called her "the highlighter".
zymurgist
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 14 2009, 10:10 PM) *

Nice!

I'd put the original imjection back on. but it's still sweet!

agree.gif

Nice color!
IronHillRestorations
How about "The Yellow Car"?
pete-stevers
welcome.png
Now that you got one.....you are going to need us!! happy11.gif
tat2dphreak
she makes some very un-ladylike sounds,

probably from the single carb starving the engine sad.gif
KELTY360
welcome.png

Very nice car. Congratulations.

Oh yeah, how about The Neon Daffodil?
silverteener

I would repaint it silver... but I do like the steering wheel welcome.png
flipb
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Sep 14 2009, 11:27 PM) *

she makes some very un-ladylike sounds,

probably from the single carb starving the engine sad.gif

On the contrary - it's more in the vein of popping and backfiring, presumably running rich.
flipb
More photos here, for those interested.

Sleepin
Highlighter suits her IMO. Congrats!!!!
flipb
Took her for a fantastic drive today. Never knew I could find such great roads so close to home. (Look at Google Maps, find something that looks very curvy, go for it.)

I'm leaning toward Sally. I think it suits her. Formally, it would be Sally Ann Cavanaugh - since I'm feeling like a bigamist. (even in Utah)
shades.gif

Spoke
Very nice car. Good score! Welcome to the madness.

Start looking now for either a set of dual Weber carbs or original FI. That center carb is leaving out so much potential of your 2L. I changed from one of those to dual IDR40s on my 1.7L and it was like night and day. So much more responsive and a real nice deep carb sound.
ericread
Congratulations on your new car. It's unfortunate that it's a yellow car, because conclusive tests have proven yellow to be a slow color. poke.gif

But other than that, I have one suggestion: Start a poll for the membership to select the name, then ignore the results and name it whatever you like smile.gif

In all seriousness, I agree with the post that says to drive it and enjoy it. When you're ready to go back to FI, or move to dual carbs, or put a Subi motor in it, or put a V8 engine in it, you'll know.

Eric Read driving.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(flipb @ Sep 14 2009, 08:59 PM) *

As for the name:
Pat: Sort of androgenous, since she makes some very un-ladylike sounds, not to mention she's the color of butter
Buttercup: Yellow, duh
Lily: I dunno, floral, yellow, something.

The PO's family called her "the highlighter".

Androgenous? The name Pat is androgenous? Now I'm really hurt! May abandon this bunch of whackos. Not likely!

But, wait a minute, aren't names like Andy (as in McDowell), as well as some others anrdrogenous?
Pat
ericread
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 20 2009, 07:03 PM) *

Androgenous? The name Pat is androgenous? Now I'm really hurt! May abandon this bunch of whackos. Not likely!

But, wait a minute, aren't names like Andy (as in McDowell), as well as some others anrdrogenous?
Pat

popcorn[1].gif

veltror
Nice find, I never really liked yellow on a car until i obtained my Sunflower yellow one back when I was in the US. However, never really understood the thign about naming cars. Most cars regardless of names thatthey have been given revert to the catch all name at some point in their lives, that being

"Start yer bastard"

So much so there is a product of that name now.. http://www.nulon-uk.com/

Look at the product list...
6freak
Dang ....folks ....Call her.....THE LEMON lol-2.gif
Cupomeat
I think I like "buttercup", as I am a Princess Bride fan!

Welcome to this crazy place, BTW.

Also, a couple of things that I notice;
1. The single progressive carb that you have is generally considered to be the worst of the inductions for a T4 so that would make a good early project
2. Get the seals around the spark plug holes so that you don't lose all that cooling air by the heads. Right now, they have nothing sealing it up and that is not ideal.
3. Beautiful car, Congratulations!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.