Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ball Joint Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ldino21
Is there a cheap special tool any of you use to take off the threaded nut that holds the Ball Joint in position, or do I have to pay $50 for the one from Pelican.
ChrisReale
Pipe wrench and big enough tube to make a cheater bar
jonwatts
I and others have used the aptly named Sperm Whale Vice Grips. The jaws are large and curved to resemble a sperm whale.

The problem with any "wrong" method is that it's likely to take some metal off the ball joint nut. I thought I'd get new ones with my new ball joints but was told differently.
914werke
Anyone with some Pics?
jonwatts
IPB Image

Found them at my local OSH
Evill Ed
I use my air chisel with a drift bit. Spins those puppys right off and locks them down tight too.

Ed
rhodyguy
agree.gif . lube the threads and the mating surface on reassembly. works great for the tie rod tubes on the rack end too.

kevin
thesey914
Air chisel Hmmm idea.gif what kind of psi or cmf do you need for this...i only have a 2hp compressor
rhodyguy
since you're not cycling for a long time the hp of the compressor doesn't really factor in. compare the psi requirements to any given air chisel and see if the compressor will deliver what's needed. if the pressure in the tank drops too much just let it catch up.

kevin
Evill Ed
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Mar 12 2004, 05:55 AM)
Air chisel Hmmm idea.gif what kind of psi or cmf do you need for this...i only have a 2hp compressor

You can do it with a 2 hp. You just need a few sharp raps from the chisel to break it free. Remember, use a blunt tip chisel so yoou don't eat into the nut.

Ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.