Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC a trend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
So,
Aside from my crazy projects, IC a trend in owning one of these cars.
Some guys move faster than others due to finances and pain/pleasure levels.

So, we buy a shitbox.
Fix all the rust, get new running gear, new brakes, shocks, etc etc.

We Autox for a year or two...get better at driving.
Then we need better suspension...ok...upgrade.

then we drive another year or so...

then...more power...
What to do.
For those of us with 1.7 motors...its a simple upgrade to go find a 2.0 liter motor and either rebuild it, or put a used motor in place of the old motor...

So, I am completing this phase, I will put a nice fresh rebuilt 2.0 liter motor in the car to play for what...another year.

IC its time for me to start looking for an aircooled six motor, oil tank, oil cooler, and all the other parts I need to collect for the next year to get my six swap underway.

Is this just natural 914 evolution?

RIch
URY914
Yes, faster is better.
rick 918-S
agree.gif I have been thinking about a six also. Hmmm shades.gif
FourBlades

It seems like this is a common story if you have been reading the board for
a while. I was trying to skip some of the early stages and go right for the
big type IV. I was only underestimating the cost of doing my car by 100%
when all is said and done...still cheaper than any new sports car by a lot.

John
KELTY360
Just paint it yellow.

biggrin.gif
jaxdream
Evolution agree.gif , yes , more like mod-a-lution . My money pool is way to the neg side so a bigger cc motor is a ways off , I too have the 1.7 , and will be happy to get it going as well as can be done . For now I've been concentrating on the 5 lug suspension and modified e-brake setup. My 73's body is in real great shape , just a few small rust issues to get taken care of , then it's engine transmission install ,then onto the interior , the body was already painted probably a few years ago , a real good paint job which I don't want to screw up by adding any kind of flares or such body mods . Just want to get a good sound driver out of my efforts with as few bugs as possible , and with the threads on this forum I don't see why I shouldn't be able to pull that off . I have a decent level of mechanical skills, some body / paint skills, very little welding skills , they are getting better , no fear of any wiring problems . Just boils down to the spare $$ at hand to go into the 914. My $ .02 and observences . driving.gif

Jaxdream

ottox914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 16 2009, 05:15 AM) *

Downsizing?
r_towle
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Sep 16 2009, 11:47 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 16 2009, 05:15 AM) *

Downsizing?

If he lived closer he would be getting 25 MPG and still have oogles of HP. I would make sure of that.

I am thinking about either a small screaming six, or a 3.2 with all the FI that goes with it.
I like the sound of the early six motor...
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 16 2009, 04:50 AM) *

Yes. biggrin.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 16 2009, 12:59 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 16 2009, 04:50 AM) *

Yes. biggrin.gif

You are a perfect example....
you started with a 1.7...got a hopped up big four and that satisfied you for what.....a week....then you went all the way...3.6 is to cool.

Rich
sean_v8_914
yup, ibg six. I bought my 911 w 2.4 as a donor car. the only thing that stopped me was when I drove a 914-3.6 like Andy's. since I already have a 400 hp v8 and currently AX a sub 1700# 914 w hot four 2.4@150hp, I can not settle for teh anemic whine of a 2.4
degreeoff
well my blog/resto thread has it the way it was, then was AGAIN and now is......so to answer your question.....YES!

of course from here I think I am done. If I need faster I will go newer or different car.

Josh
MDG
I think it's evolution as well as a testament to how sound a platform the 914 is. It lends itself to your imagination and can easily adapt to its owners changing wants.

Drove my first '73 2.0 every day through the '80s; loved it. My current '73 is nearing the end of its 'refreshment' but will come out of it still 100% stock and will stay that way.

My '76 conversion has, for the past two summers, been powered by a 2.2 six - and I completely agree with Rich; the sound of a smaller displacement engine with Webers and the right exhaust is pure Porsche. And it's been fun.

And then last night I purchased from our Cap'n a flywheel/clutch to mate the 901 trans to a 3.2 engine I've found with 30k kilometers on it (about 19,000 miles); my upcoming winter project. It's going to be fun too. smile.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(MDG @ Sep 16 2009, 03:22 PM) *

I think it's evolution as well as a testament to how sound a platform the 914 is. It lends itself to your imagination and can easily adapt to its owners changing wants.

Drove my first '73 2.0 every day through the '80s; loved it. My current '73 is nearing the end of its 'refreshment' but will come out of it still 100% stock and will stay that way.

My '76 conversion has, for the past two summers, been powered by a 2.2 six - and I completely agree with Rich; the sound of a smaller displacement engine with Webers and the right exhaust is pure Porsche. And it's been fun.

And then last night I purchased from our Cap'n a flywheel/clutch to mate the 901 trans to a 3.2 engine I've found with 30k kilometers on it (about 19,000 miles); my upcoming winter project. It's going to be fun too. smile.gif

I guess I should ask about you selling the 2.2...

Even though I have yet to finish the build on the 2.0 liter four...I gotta start looking.

Rich
MDG
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 16 2009, 04:18 PM) *

I guess I should ask about you selling the 2.2...

Even though I have yet to finish the build on the 2.0 liter four...I gotta start looking.

Rich

Ah, the planning stage . . . it takes up so much of my life biggrin.gif

The 2.2 has already found a new home - it's actually going to go into a correct year 911T from which it came.

I'll be going with the FI from the 3.2 so I'll have a pair of 40 IDA 3Cs which I may keep or sell. I also have Marty Schneider's ceramic coated headers sized for the 2.2 which I think will be too restrictive on the 3.2 so I'll probably be selling those too and going up in size.

I'm still driving the car so when I pull it for the winter I'll keep you in mind for all my excess parts.

m.
EdwardBlume
The last step in the evolution after a /6 will be going to electric, a diesel hybrid, or hydrogen.

ghuff
Turbo type IV for me.

I like pushing things past their limits.
ClayPerrine
I am at the stage where I am hotrodding the six I have, and in the planning stage for the BIG six....

Yes, it is natural evolution of the 914..... and it fits the quote "There is no replacement for displacement."

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.