Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid paint under the grill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
I've disassembled the engine lid and it looks like under the mesh mine has always been painted black as opposed to the color of the rest of the car.

I know the plastic rain tray is always black but what about the metal that is under the mesh?

And, what about the area to the left & right side of the car underneath the small mesh pieces?

I'm thinking of painting all the areas under the black mesh the same color as the car but want to see some pics of others' first...

Thanks in advance.
-pt

Here's mine disassembled...
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Under the mesh is always black from the factory. That goes for the two sidepieces as well.

bye1.gif Andy
76-914
Glad you posted this. I was wondering myself. I saved this piece for last because it was used for the color match (L80e). After sanding I was cleaning the lid (white part)with laquer thinner and I got some black back on my rag. I removed the rest of it w/ thinner and found the original white beneath. I thought it was someones rattle can job but maybe not. Regardless, I'm painting it white. I like the contrast between the two. Which leads me to one more thing. This white area beneath the grille will require occasional cleaning, so...........I need to make some suitable replacement rubber keepers to replace original ones (which are on their last leg now) or change the mount design and maybe use some camlock fastners or a few well placed rare earth magnets. Who knows but I'll post it later.
McMark
agree.gif Painted under the grills. Looks MUCH cleaner.
cwpeden
Wait a sec. while I run outside.
degreeoff
top = bottom stripe too......

Click to view attachment
cwpeden
Couldnt remember which I had, appearently both.

I used Satin Black Varethane for the grill. Has held up well for 4 years

Click to view attachment
jd74914
I left mine body color. I really like the yellow/black contrast. smile.gif

This is the best picture I have, sorry.
jt914-6
Painted the grill and side grills the car color. Screen black. Engine shroud too.

Click to view attachment
ptravnic
Thanks for the replies and photos.. I havn't made up my mind yet - a few more pics should help...

-pt
ptravnic
icon_bump.gif
AZ914
I like it ALL black under the grills. looks clean.
ptravnic
QUOTE(AZ914 @ May 5 2011, 10:30 AM) *

I like it ALL black under the grills. looks clean.

That is the direction that I'm leaning.
Mikey914
Just did mine late last night. Used a little POR15 on the grill and the same on the deck lid.
I just need to put a little 3M weatherstrip adhesive on the edge of the deck lid welting to hold it in place.
Eric_Shea
IPB Image

IPB Image
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 5 2011, 08:46 AM) *

Just did mine late last night. Used a little POR15 on the grill and the same on the deck lid.
I just need to put a little 3M weatherstrip adhesive on the edge of the deck lid welting to hold it in place.

Hey! aren't you suppose to be working on cool NLA products for us to buy! av-943.gif
Mikey914
Yes I'm still getting some stuff finished, truthfully, I made my boy paint it, I was going to let him assemble it, but it was just sitting there and well about 2:00AM it was done.
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 5 2011, 10:21 PM) *

Yes I'm still getting some stuff finished, truthfully, I made my boy paint it, I was going to let him assemble it, but it was just sitting there and well about 2:00AM it was done.

Keep Up the good work!
SW
Mikey914
The windshield trim I've got 30 sets formed, and I'm running the 1st one through anodizing to make sure I have them polished enough. The WAS tops are just getting the pieces assembled and I'm waiting for some custom boxes, so I do see the light at the end of the tunnel on these.
I just need to get the car ready for WCR
ptravnic
Decision made - black under the mesh part of the grill and on the sides under the mesh part that sits next to the sail panel.

Thanks for the pics fellas!

-pt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.