Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake warning light problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skiking
I recently had the brake calipers and lines replaced on my '75 teener. When I got it back from the shop, the brake warning flasher light was on all the time. The shop said they tried to fix it, but i'm not sure they knew what they were doing.

The pedal feels a little soft, but the brakes work and the reservoir is full. Any ideas what could be causing the brake warning light to flash whenever the car is running?

Thanks,
Robbie
zx-niner
QUOTE(skiking @ Sep 16 2009, 08:28 PM) *

I recently had the brake calipers and lines replaced on my '75 teener. When I got it back from the shop, the brake warning flasher light was on all the time. The shop said they tried to fix it, but i'm not sure they knew what they were doing.

The pedal feels a little soft, but the brakes work and the reservoir is full. Any ideas what could be causing the brake warning light to flash whenever the car is running?

Thanks,
Robbie

Believe it or not, there is a re-set switch on the master cylinder that must be pushed to reset any time you do something like this to the brake system. It catches all of us the first time it happens. Except for me, I got caught twice because my memory is bad.
Rod
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Sep 17 2009, 05:10 AM) *

Thanks,
Robbie

Believe it or not, there is a re-set switch on the master cylinder that must be pushed to reset any time you do something like this to the brake system. It catches all of us the first time it happens. Except for me, I got caught twice because my memory is bad.

Never knew that!
flat4
QUOTE(Rod @ Sep 17 2009, 10:32 PM) *

Never knew that!

Apparently it is true. But mine doesn't have one and the dam light doesn't go off. Which is probably why the PO had just cut the wires that went to the MC...

Cheers, Steve
marks914
Push your e-brake handle all the way down.
Mark
bdstone914
If your master cylinder does not have a reset on the outside, you need to pull the switch out of the master cylinder and there will be a button on the inside of the switch for you to press to reset it.
jt914-6
QUOTE(flat4 @ Sep 17 2009, 08:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Rod @ Sep 17 2009, 10:32 PM) *

Never knew that!

Apparently it is true. But mine doesn't have one and the dam light doesn't go off. Which is probably why the PO had just cut the wires that went to the MC...

Cheers, Steve

If you can find the switch wires, the brown/yellow stripe connects to the single connector terminal. The brown attaches to nothing. On switches with two teminals, both connect to it. The single MC switch should have a reset button.
jsayre914
QUOTE(marks914 @ Sep 17 2009, 04:05 PM) *

Push your e-brake handle all the way down.
Mark

agree.gif
I also had this problem due to a loose wires on the little button under the e-brake handle. remove the seat and find the little switch. it sometimes gets wet and malfunctiony" sp.
flat4
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 18 2009, 06:10 AM) *

If your master cylinder does not have a reset on the outside, you need to pull the switch out of the master cylinder and there will be a button on the inside of the switch for you to press to reset it.

unsure.gif

Will the fluid leak out, or more importantly air get in, when I do this?

Cheers, Steve
mpoffers

I'm in the same boat. Single brown wire, no reset button. The switch itself threads into the MC. Can I just take it out? I'd rather not do something stupid and spend the rest of the afternoon bleeding all 4 corners.

Thanks,

Mike

QUOTE(flat4 @ Sep 17 2009, 04:31 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 18 2009, 06:10 AM) *

unsure.gif

Will the fluid leak out, or more importantly air get in, when I do this?

Cheers, Steve

skiking
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Sep 16 2009, 08:10 PM) *

Thanks,
Robbie

I finally uncovered the master cylinder, and the switch has one terminal on it. Do I need to pull it out to reset? If so, will brake fluid come out?
Thanks,
Robbie
skiking
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 17 2009, 12:10 PM) *

Master cylinder now uncovered.
Will the brake fluid come out of the master cylinder when I pull the switch out?
Thanks,
Robbie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.