Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New member
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rm56
Hello, I own a clean 64 VW Bug. I have had it for a year and I've repaired some issues with it to make it a reliable driver. Its a 12 volt conversion with the stock 1200 40 HP engine. Everytime I take it out I get compliments on the car. Even though I like the Beetle, it lacks power in its stock form and I am thinking of selling it to find a clean 914. I am fairly mechanical and in fact I'm getting ready to sign up for auto tech classes at a local college. I'd like to hear from members here pros and cons about whether I should move up to another fine German car? I've never owned a Porsche, but have always loved them. Years ago I worked at a body shop that did 914s and I was able to drive them a little bit. One day in fact while parking a 911 I almost drove it into a wall! I was not used to the accelleration and when I let out the clutch...yikes did it fly! I slammed on the brakes just shy of the back wall. I hope I'm in the right place and I hope my wife does not kill me for selling my Bug and looking for a 914. Heck I think she'll like the Porsche more. Thanks
Rick
markb
welcome.png

Be very careful, these little cars become an addiction quickly. biggrin.gif
Ask around here for some locals that have 914's and get a little seat time. I'm sure you'll get a lot of useful info on them, and it's nice to have someone familiar with the cars go with you before you buy.
zymurgist
welcome.png

I hope you're not thinking a 914 is powerful, though. wink.gif
rm56
No not that powerful, but compaired to a 64 Bug with a 40 horse? A rocketship. I also own a truck and a Civic. I live in Lincoln CA, if there is someone nearby who could offer some advice on 914s if I find a clean driver that would be great? My wife thinks I should get a Hyndai barf.gif . I don't want a car payment, I do most of my own wrenching. Thanks
jsayre914
welcome.png

I was very very sad when i sold my first 914. I went and bought another one. biggrin.gif

AS far as owning a porsche. NO WAY, just get a 914 instead av-943.gif
jcd914
welcome.png

There is a fairly active group of us teeners in Sacramento area and some even have 914s that run and drive (not I). Watch this forum for the Sacramento Porsche Family Reunion thread each month and bring your Bug and come have a doughnut with us 1 Saturday morning. This Saturday we are meeting for doughnuts and then taking a road trip up to Tahoe to check out "Cool September Days".

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1209702

A 914 is a little more complex that a Bug but still a car the average person can work on for the most part. Like and old VW (914s were made by Karmann) rust is an issue and something to look closely for when looking at a prospective purchase.

What school are you going to be taking classes at?

Jim
ericread
In support of new members, we should try to get involved in a group buy for jack stands...

lol3.gif

Eric

Oh, and welcome.png
underthetire
agree.gif

And a drip pan ! welcome.png
rm56
I saw that thread, I used to live in Tahoe 86-89. Looks like a nice run. I'll be going to Sierra in Jan. I do administration now but in a few years I'll be max aged out of the service, so time to find another gig.
shoguneagle
WHAT???

You are making him pay for them??? You really want him to suffer!! He still does not know or experience the 914 addiction to remaining on "Jack Stands"!!!! Why not give him four or more!! I have a couple extras which he can have!!!!

Welcome and come aboard!!!

Do not be any hurry to get rid of your "Bug" AND spend some time getting to really know the 914 cars. Both types are great cars in their own right, but designed for different purposes.

You have some good people around Sacramento and they will really help you out during the transition.

One of these days on one of my trips to California I will attend one of their get-to-gethers.

Again, welcome and have fun.

Steve Hurt welder.gif welder.gif smash.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
raw1298
welcome.png Welcome to the addiction! I live in the Citrus Heights area and have one of the many 914's on jackstands. This is a great forum to hook up with for advise and daily fun. Before you buy read up here on what to look for in a 914 and what to stay away from. There is usually someone willing to help inspect a car before you buy. You are welcome to come by and see my project as well! Good luck!!
ILM914
[I am restoring a 73 914 now avoid rusted cars, and the 73 and later cars have an improved shift linkage. I owned a bug for years and just love the way the 914 handles and drives in general and compated to the bug. I recomend all original w original fuel injection intact. Good luck, Joe
zymurgist
QUOTE(rm56 @ Sep 17 2009, 04:08 PM) *

My wife thinks I should get a Hyndai barf.gif

laugh.gif

I'm the "designated mechanic" (read that as "free wrench") for a friend's 914. Her husband has been trying to get her to sell it for years. He totally doesn't "get it" when it comes to sports cars.

I would look for a '73-'74 2.0 with original fuel injection. OTOH, I've never driven a Raby powered 914, but from what I've heard, his engines are pretty awesome. So if you see a car with a Raby engine, you ought to look into it.
rm56
Thanks for all the advice, my wife had a fit. She wants me to get a more "pratical" car. I want her to get a job. Perhaps if we paid a visit to a local owner and saw a 914 she might change her mind? Being a two seater when we have a kid is one issue. Let me know if there are any events in the Sacramento area. Thanks
zymurgist
You own a truck and a Civic. Those vehicles are practical enough. Life is short, drive what you want.

- says the guy whose Camry was totaled so he replaced it with an Acura RSX
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.