Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squeaking noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zonedoubt
I em experiencing a squeaking sound when the car is moving. It's a squeak when going slow (acceleration or deceleration) and turns into more of a "rubbing" sound when speed is higher. The sound is the same with brakes applied or with the clutch out. No noise when the car is not moving.

I can't 100% tell if it's coming from the front or back because of ambient engine and road noise, but am leaning more towards the rear.

Where should I start to look? Wheel bearings?
underthetire
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Sep 17 2009, 01:53 PM) *

I em experiencing a squeaking sound when the car is moving. It's a squeak when going slow (acceleration or deceleration) and turns into more of a "rubbing" sound when speed is higher. The sound is the same with brakes applied or with the clutch out. No noise when the car is not moving.

I can't 100% tell if it's coming from the front or back because of ambient engine and road noise, but am leaning more towards the rear.

Where should I start to look? Wheel bearings?

Could be rear bearings. Mine made more of a groan. CV joints ?
McMark
Roof?
jt914-6
Roll bar/suspension bushings????
914_teener
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 17 2009, 03:51 PM) *

Roof?

agree.gif
benalishhero
QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 17 2009, 07:13 PM) *

Roof?

agree.gif

Good to know I'm not the only one with a sqeaky roof!

Maybe a brake backing plate?
zonedoubt
Thanks for the ideas. I'll check on those tonight.

I was thinking speedo cable as a possibility.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(benalishhero @ Sep 17 2009, 04:18 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 17 2009, 07:13 PM) *

Roof?

agree.gif

Good to know I'm not the only one with a sqeaky roof!

Maybe a brake backing plate?

agree.gif
I had a weird squeek as well. As I was driving, I pushed up on the back edge of the roof and the squeek went away.
championgt1
agree.gif Same thing happened to me.
zonedoubt
I thought I'd start with the easy checks first. Unhooked the speedo cable at the speedo drive and at the speedometer. Sprayed some lube in the cable ends. Reattached, test drive, no more squeaks!
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Sep 18 2009, 06:25 PM) *

I thought I'd start with the easy checks first. Unhooked the speedo cable at the speedo drive and at the speedometer. Sprayed some lube in the cable ends. Reattached, test drive, no more squeaks!

Oh Yeah? Well I STILL think it's the roof. lol-2.gif
zonedoubt
WIth so many "check the roof" replies, I don't think I described my squeak properly. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.