Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resistance at diff = gearbox problem?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larss
Got my 914 project home last night! But...

...the (manual) gearbox was working OK when previous owner last drove it 22 years ago, no noise or shifting problems. He had a skilled mechanic to open it (and the engine) just to check and replace seals etc. Nothing special was found and it was properly put together (i trust) and have been resting indoors for some 20 years.
Now, when turning the flanges for the output shafts the movement is not even (no gear in), there is a bit of uneven resistance just like a roller bearing being bad.
Picked out the diff, the resistance and quite a bit of noise comes from the 4 small gears inside the diff so no roller bearing is involved. Some oil did make it a bit better but not much.

Is this a problem and in that case what to do about it, or is it normal?

/Lars S
VaccaRabite
20 years is a long time.
Seals dry up. paper gaskets degrade. All the oil settles to the bottom, assuming there was enough oil in the box. And, of course, previous owners lie (or don't recall the truth from 2 decades ago.)

Drain the oil and look for tell tail signs of trouble - metal flakes, gold oil color, etc. After it is refilled, turn it by hand and see if it just needed to be re-lubed.

And change out your fuel and vaccume lines before running the car. They are probably dry rotted, and could cause a fire.

OH! and welcome.png
Zach
larss
Thanks Zach!
You see I have the diff in my hand and can locate the noise/resistance to the 4 small gears in square...the small gears does not look worn and there is no play to be noticed, what can the reason be to the noise and resistance?

/Lars S
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.