Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will a ford 302 fit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
My buddy is about to junk his 1992 ford f150, and it has the 5.0L 302 EFI, motor that is in pretty good condition...everything else on the car, not so much. Engine needs a new water pump and thats it, easy fix. He said if i put the engine in the 914 or my vw bug i can have everything i want for free, ecu, radiator, etc. Will that motor fit or can i make it fit? Ive heard most v8's will, just want to make sure before i start doing anything. thanks

My plans are to put the v8 in the porsche and take the porsches motor and put that into the vw. Every car gets more power!!!!!!
jaxdream
They are actually a little too long from the front of block to the end of water pump.It could be done but you would have to cut out the center hump betweenthe seat backs as the water pump would stick through that area . The chevy V-8 block is easier to install because the water pump can be mounted off to the side not directly on the engine block affording more room in the engine bay. I am not saying it can't be done , it would be complicted sawzall-smiley.gif .I'm sure there are others here that would know more about the intallation of a Ford engine in a 914, heck put it in the VW !!!!

Jaxdream
Rand
Just depends on how much work you want to put into it.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=19030
Todd Enlund
Also, a truck engine isn't what you want in a teener. Truck engines are optimized for torque, and your 901 box is a weak link in that regard. That's why the 302 Chevy is popular... higher RPM powerband, less torque than most V8s.

Sure, it will have more power than your Type IV, but it's not what I'd do. Free engines can end up costing a lot.
dflesburg
what about the 4.6L ford motor.

I used to have a supercharged 32 V SVT cobra.... 2003

anyone ever done that?
andys
If you make an adapter plate for the timing cover/water pump mounting surface it would allow you to run a remote water pump like the SBC conversions do. If I recall correctly, the late Explorer/truck motors (non modular) utilize DIS, so that gets rid of the front mounted distributor problem. Much of this really depends on you fabrication/skill level since there is no "kit" to perform this swap. The late small block Explorers had both DIS and GT40 heads; not sure about the F150 though.

Andys
jimkelly
if you have the skillz and the toolz - i have no comment.

otherwise i would say go to renegede hybrids and buy their conversion kit for a small block chevy and their radiator system = around $3k

then get your hands on a cheap sbc and fabricate some exhaust, and you will be almost ready to drive.

of course - do not neglect brakes and suspension - a full rebuild on these 2 systems in parts alone would be about $1000-$2000.
turnaround89
Already have the brakes done, i have a complete 87 911 Carrera front end, those brakes stop the car on a dime now, would i need larger rear brakes?

As for fabrication, should be able to pull that off, my dad is a certified welder and we've been working on the baja bugs cage for awhile now, its coming out really well, first time either of us has ever built a cage.

Im not to worried about cutting into my car, i don't own a rare 914, just a 914-4 thats already a 916 replica. Just looking for the next project happy11.gif
RJMII
I'll sell ya my turbo setup... more hp than that Ford engine; but not enough hp for me. lol3.gif
turnaround89
I have a turbo for the porsche's motor, if i can get the money to do a v8 conversion, i will, then ill throw the turbo onto the porsche's motor and put that into my baja bug
RJMII
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Sep 19 2009, 09:10 AM) *

I have a turbo for the porsche's motor, if i can get the money to do a v8 conversion, i will, then ill throw the turbo onto the porsche's motor and put that into my baja bug

av-943.gif more hp than the turbo on your porsche motor would make, too. poke.gif lol-2.gif stirthepot.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.