Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 vacuum lines 73 vs 74?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
Are the 73 and 74 2.0 engine vacuum lines the same layout and positions? (I've never owned a 73 2.0, but all the diagrams out there seem to be for 73 cars.)

-Rusty smoke.gif
SirAndy
they should be the same unless a PO has changed something. there were subtle changes in the D-Jet configuration between '72 and '73, so '73 and '74 should be the same.

Andy
anthony
The '74 only has one vacuum line coming off the distributor. When I redid my hoses I used the '73 hose diagram as a guide and I had no problems.
SirAndy
QUOTE(anthony @ Mar 12 2004, 11:10 AM)
The '74 only has one vacuum line coming off the distributor. When I redid my hoses I used the '73 hose diagram as a guide and I had no problems.

oh, yes, the infamous second dizzy hose ...

the factory had it just lying under the air-filter, unconnected ...

Andy
garyh
QUOTE(anthony @ Mar 12 2004, 11:10 AM)
The '74 only has one vacuum line coming off the distributor.

Actually, it's one line coming off the throttle body.

Both vacuum ports are still there on the dizzy, and most installations (IME) leave the hose on the dizzy and drape it over the top of the motor.

Sorry, can't give you better than a 99.9 on that one. cool.gif
garyh
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 12 2004, 10:46 AM)
they should be the same unless a PO has changed something. there were subtle changes in the D-Jet configuration between '72 and '73, so '73 and '74 should be the same.

Andy

We're talking 2.0l here. 1972 hose routing won't be real useful huh.gif
SirAndy
ah, this could be a classic smile.gif

my 1.8 TB has 2 (two) connectors for both small vac-hoses from the dizzy.
however, there is NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever between hose #2 connected to the TB or just left unconnected.

what does that mean? confused24.gif
Andy
garyh
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 12 2004, 11:31 AM)
ah, this could be a classic smile.gif

however, there is NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever between hose #2 connected to the TB or just left unconnected.

what does that mean? confused24.gif
Andy

It means that you're not testing exhaust emissions at idle.

That's the only thing the 2nd port was for; to sneak around some weird test.
SirAndy
QUOTE(garyh @ Mar 12 2004, 11:28 AM)
We're talking 2.0l here. 1972 hose routing won't be real useful huh.gif

the basic D-Jet vac-hose setup is all the same for 1.7 or 2.0 ... wink.gif

it think what i was trying to say is that there were some changes in the d-jet layout between '72 and '73 and from '73 onward it was the same, therefore the '73 and '74 2.0 should be the same.

makes sense?
Andy
Chris H.
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Mar 12 2004, 11:14 AM)
Are the 73 and 74 2.0 engine vacuum lines the same layout and positions? (I've never owned a 73 2.0, but all the diagrams out there seem to be for 73 cars.)

-Rusty smoke.gif

What, you found a '74 2.0L in the Fallujah area in need of new vacuum hoses? lol2.gif

Just kidding Rusty. Hope all is well over there.
Demick
Don't forget, sometime in '74 they moved the charcoal canister from the fuel tank area to the engine compartment, so the hoses associated with that are slightly different.

Demick
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 12 2004, 11:31 AM)

But does it have two connections on the throttle body? If not, then it does not have any way to get "ported vacuum", which is what runs the vacuum advance. So hooking up the vac advance would either do nothing, or advance the timing at the wrong time.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 12 2004, 01:43 PM)
But does it have two connections on the throttle body? If not, then it does not have any way to get "ported vacuum", which is what runs the vacuum advance. So hooking up the vac advance would either do nothing, or advance the timing at the wrong time.

like i said in my post (to quote myself) ...

"my 1.8 TB has 2 (two) connectors"

where TB stands for throttle body. wink.gif

and yes, they're both hooked up right now.
it's just that it didn't seem to make any difference if #2 was hooked up or not ...

Andy
Dave_Darling
Shoot, I mis-read it. I only saw "two connections to the dizzy"... Duuuuhhhh...

--DD (Why, yes--I am a blonde! Why do you ask??)
Bleyseng
Here Rusty is the pic of the hose layout.

So what r u talking about Andy? On the 73 TB there is two ports and on later TB's one. If yours has two then one goes to the retard and one goes to the vacuum advance. Pulling the vacuum advance hose off does little, pulling the retard hose off does change the idle timing 5 degrees.

Geoff
Rusty
Wow, Geoff... great picture! Thanks!

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.