Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Defog
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
I have a 73 2.0 that was originally from California, I also have from my parts car a rear window with the defroster wires. Where would the switch go and where would I get it?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Gustl
the switch's origin location is on the right side of the steering column, between the cigarette lighter and the blower control

see the pic
914Sixer
You might want to see if the window grid is any good. Take a volt/ohm meter and put each one of the leads on the clips. You should see a direct short or 0 ohms. Anything else means the grid is open and will not heat. Most grids are open. Not sure if you can get the paint anymore to repair grids as the wires are now embeded in the glass.
tod914
Ian could i trouble you to post a shot of the wires? I'm thinking about doing that myself.

Thanks,
Tod
Ian Stott
Thanks for posting the pic of where the switch goes. Tod I will post a pic when I can, the window is not here and I am not doing the swap until the winter. Still having fun driving the car around right now! It was a brisk day today probably around 10 degrees C. cool enough to wear a light jacket but it was clear and I never had to put the roof on, red cheeks but happy smile after about a 60 mile drive. I have a brother in Matawan, would be happy to meet for a beer or coffee sometime when I am down that way with my 914.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
MDG
Here you go Ian, factory location on my '73 2.0

Click to view attachment
shoguneagle
I think I have a switch in the Porsche Junk Pile (i mean in the excellent parts pile) that you can have. Just give some time to locate since I am in the final stages of my 914 project. If I can find it you can have since it just collect space. Once I locate it I will try to verify that the switch is good.

Steve Hurt
tod914
Left of the cig lighter is rear fog light then?
MDG
QUOTE(tod914 @ Sep 20 2009, 07:20 PM) *

Left of the cig lighter is rear fog light then?

I assume Tod is refering to the -6 in the first photo - I was wondering what that green thing was too confused24.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(MDG @ Sep 21 2009, 01:41 AM) *

I assume Tod is refering to the -6 in the first photo - I was wondering what that green thing was too confused24.gif

I really don't know confused24.gif ... but it's not factory original biggrin.gif
tod914
Wolfgang, I meant what is suppose to go in that particular hole? Would that be the spot if the rear fog was installed or is it just a spare location?
Gustl
I don't know, if there was an original hole in the dash board
possibly the owner drilled it to install that obscure reen switch
I didn't find out what this switch was for - but definitly not for the rear fog light

my price lists show that the rear fog light wasn't an option with istalled front fogs
so, I guess, that the rear fog light used the same switch as the front fog lights when istalled

bye1.gif Gustl
Ian Stott
Thanks Steve for offering the switch, look forward to getting it. If you have a list of things you need I have some parts and would be glad to help you out. You can contact me by e-mail if that is convenient for you.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
ME733
QUOTE(Gustl @ Sep 21 2009, 01:04 AM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Sep 21 2009, 01:41 AM) *

I really don't know confused24.gif ... but it's not factory original biggrin.gif

popcorn[1].gif On my 1973 S...which has O.E.M. fog lights...I have a BLACK toggle switch. The surrounds, and mounting hardware sure look O.E.M. to me and it is In the exact location of the Green , push/ pull switch shown in the photograph. This switch operates my front fog lights.only. I have never even heard of a REAR fog light, which would seem dangerious, and stupid.... as when /if activated it would obscure the rear brake lights from a following car. I cannot believe this would have been a " PORSCHE" option. popcorn[1].gif
hcdmueller
The rear fog is required in a lot of European countries. There are rules on how far it will be placed from tail lights and on which side of the car. It makes a car much more visible from behind. Ask the Brits. They need them the most. If I go back to England I will put one on my 914.
MDG
QUOTE(ME733 @ Sep 22 2009, 09:44 AM) *
popcorn[1].gif On my 1973 S...which has O.E.M. fog lights...I have a BLACK toggle switch. The surrounds, and mounting hardware sure look O.E.M. to me and it is In the exact location of the Green , push/ pull switch shown in the photograph. This switch operates my front fog lights.only. I have never even heard of a REAR fog light, which would seem dangerious, and stupid.... as when /if activated it would obscure the rear brake lights from a following car. I cannot believe this would have been a " PORSCHE" option. popcorn[1].gif

The factory placement of the various dash switches didn't really alter. My '73 in the photo (sorry for the state of it - taken during disassembly) has all the options that were available at the time - and the switches that go with them. The green switch on the right operates the rear window defroster; all 914s that came with this option had that switch in that location. The amber switch peeking out on the left side of the steering wheel operates the front fogs; all 914s that came with front fogs came with that switch in that location (the color of the bezel changed through the run).

If you have a toggle switch operating your front fogs somebody put it there after the fact as Porsche/VW did not use that location, nor a toggle switch, for the fog lights. It's not impossible that it may have been done at the time by the dealership that sold the car.

m.
shoguneagle
we are currently traveling in California and will be home next week. Will try to locate the part at that time.

Steve Hurt
Cevan
Here's my '75:

Click to view attachment
shoguneagle
We are now back home for a week or so then traveling again. Trying to get as much in before I have to slow down. This retirement is for the "birds".

I will look for the switch in the morning and see what I have. Still want it?/

Just bear with me and I will get it to you.
shoguneagle
Ian,

Bet you thought I had forgotten about you. FOUND THE REAR DEFROSTER SWITCH FOR YOU!!!! I went through several different storage houses and the garage; could not put my hands on the alusive part. By this time, I am pulling out whatI

I finally said I am going to work on the Porsche wiring. Heated up the garage; looked outside at the snow; I wondering if I really wanted to work on the electrical since the garage is such a mess. Anyway, started on the electrical, gauges, and switch area. Second switch I put my hand on was the very alusive rear heater switch.

Yes, it is the switch with the three loops inside a rectangle with green background.

Sent an email this date. Sorry I took so long in finding the part.

Steve Hurt
Ian Stott
Steve thank you for the switch and all you went through to get it, there was no hurry as I have been driving the teener up til last week! I will respond to your e-mail.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.