Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PORSCHE Grill Letters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
OK, I think I have a set of metal letters. I thought they were all plastic.

Marc-Andre, I bought them from you on an engine lid on Ebay about 2 or 3 years ago. Do you remember what year it came from (kindof light blue metallic)?

How do I clean these, are they just pot-metal? Any tips on buffing/polishing?

Thanks for your ideas.

I'm starting the GT Grill tonite, cutting tomorrrow.
Lawrence
They're pot metal. Be VERY careful when trying to polish them, especially if you need to remove them from the grill.

I used a bit of "Blue Magic" metal polish when I did a set. I had the polish left over from Warrant Officer Candidate School.

-Rusty
seanery
I took the letters off tonite very carefully.

I hope I can still get the fasteners, since those were toast. Maybe a little 'Neverdull' ?
tod914
Larry,

I guess Brasso is a think of the past then. That was the in thing to use when i went through Basic and OCS. If you dont mind me asking, whats your specialty as a warrant?
914werke
I have couple of sets the silver ones on the later cars 74-> are plastic. Almost imposible to remove without breaking the pegs off. (But I did it!) The Metal ones I have are gold in color.
I was wondering was ther ever the "914 2.0" script on the tail in Gold metal?

Rich
Bleyseng
Not that I know of. The gold lettering was on the early 914's and 914/6's. 73 lettering is that potmetal and later cars got the plastic letters.
Geoff
boxstr
And the 1976 got a decal for the rear 914 2.0
CCLinLOO
SirAndy
i have the golden one. anyone knows what kind of metal that is?
can i solder (sp?) them together? or should i use some sort of glue?

i need to make a 916 out of a 914-6 ...
MarkV
SirAndy, I think those are made out of alluminum.
SirAndy
QUOTE(MarkV @ Apr 2 2003, 10:28 PM)
SirAndy, I think those are made out of alluminum.

oh. that would make sense. sooo, super glue it is then wink.gif
seanery
Or TIG weld them.
Lawrence
I guess Brasso is a think of the past then. That was the in thing to use when i went through Basic and OCS. If you dont mind me asking, whats your specialty as a warrant?

I'm a logistics warrant.

Brasso is great for general use, but in candidate school, the container needs to lay flat in the candidate's display drawer. Any polish on the inside of the container lid is considered a "hidden, unauthorized item". Depending on severity, up to 36 demerits. Using brass polish in the tube, you can clean the inside of the top before putting it back on, without worrying about the gig.

Sort of a "Concour weenie" attitude to personal area and effects. flag.gif

-Rusty
anthony
Clean the top of the cap after use? Jeeze, I would never make it in the military.
Lawrence
Clean the inside of the cap, yeah.

It's not day-to-day military life, just officer candidate school. The course is designed to overwhelm and stress people out to see how they react. It focuses on minutae to teach stress management, prioritization and attention to detail.

-Rusty beer3.gif
r_towle
definately concourse training
Bleyseng
There is a German guy selling NOS metal chrome letters on Ebay. I got a set for $90 witch is worth it for the metal ones. They really look nice and purty.
Geoff
seanery
It'd be nice if someone with CNC capabilities would make some nice billet letters.

I'd pay $100 for a set of those! maybe 2 sets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.