Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailing Arms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
Has anyone (Brad?) ever cut a trailing arm apart? I'm wondering if there are any additional structural elements inside, or are they basically two U sections welded together to form a rectangular cross section, and hollow inside. I'm not talking about the pivot point/bushing or the bearing/hub areas, but the section between them.

Thanks,

Andy
Mueller
it's built up sorta like a corragated card board box...it is not 100% hollow inside
SirAndy
What's Inside?

rust? confused24.gif
Jeffs9146
I have a bent one if someone wants to cut it open and see!!

Jeff
ChrisFoley
Nothing is inside a trailing arm.
I cut this one open with my plasma cutter yesterday to show you.
This one had the box reinforcement on it, thus the extra thickness on one side.
agentblr
I think my rear arm have corn flakes inside them? at least it sounds like when you shake them,this is bad unsure.gif
jonwatts
Uh Chris, was there something wrong with that trailing arm? Cutting up a reinforced trailing arm for demonstration purposes only would be mighty big of you.

Andy was right, there is something inside, rust.
majkos
agree.gif Why the chop? confused24.gif
"Don't worry be Happy!" beer3.gif
It's St Patty day!
andys
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 17 2004, 08:01 AM)
Nothing is inside a trailing arm.
I cut this one open with my plasma cutter yesterday to show you.
This one had the box reinforcement on it, thus the extra thickness on one side.

Racer Chris,

Thanks for the fantastic pic....just what I suspected, a simple rectangular section....no big deal. I know I'm pushing it, but what is the stock material (wall) thickness?

Andy
Mueller
damn...then what the heck was I thinking of then???? I must be thinking (or not) of another car or part...thanks for making a liar out me smile.gif blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 17 2004, 09:59 AM)
damn...then what the heck was I thinking of then???? I must be thinking (or not) of another car or part...thanks for making a liar out me smile.gif blink.gif

you were thinking of the later model long in the area under the battery tray.

the later models have "rippled" reinforcements in there ...
Andy
Eric_Shea
rust?

Looks like Andy had the answer all along...
ChrisFoley
Actually that rust color is plasma cutting residue,which probably will wipe off.
The trailing arm was involved in a high speed impact and had no further usefulness on a car - perfect for an autopsy. laugh.gif
I can check the wall thickness today.
ChrisFoley
I measured the metal thickness at .080" or 2mm.
andys
Chris,

A BIG THANKS!!!

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.