Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New exhaust tips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TC 914-8
I haven't been a big fan of the "tuner" exhaust systems as of late. but my existing 2 1/2" pipes looked like pea shooters. So I broke down and picked up 2 - 3 1/2 " resinator tips. They look much better and give the new V-8 a deep droan.
Click to view attachment
Old 2 1/2 " tips
Click to view attachment
New 3"+ tips
messix
aktion035.gif looks nice
Katmanken
That will leave a nasty burn...

Be careful...
computers4kids
Looks good Tony beerchug.gif So how is your car running since you put the new motor in? Haven't seen any pictures? Inquiring minds want to know.
TC 914-8
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Sep 20 2009, 08:04 PM) *

Looks good Tony beerchug.gif So how is your car running since you put the new motor in? Haven't seen any pictures? Inquiring minds want to know.

Hi Mark, All is well. I have about 350 mi. on it now. Seems to be running strong with good oil pressure, lots of power and plenty of revs.

So today I go for a Sunday drive into town, I hear this squeeling sound while cruzing sown the road. I shut it down and pull over. I opened the engine lid and restart it. I could hear a dry squeel with a slight crunching noise. icon8.gif
I shut it down again. Good oil press, temps OK. I realize I'm on empty so I needed to make it to the gas station if I want to make it back home. The noise is gone WTF.gif
So I continue to go to town, All's ok. Temp running a little hi, 200* usually 180*. Oil press id good. Drove home gingerly but it ran good. I checked the play in the alternator, and remote water pump pulleys, all OK. Still, no more noise.
So with the temp running higher than normal I'm hoping it's the water pump acting up. I have to go out of town for a couple of days. When I get back I'll pull the pump and Alternator for inspection. Hope that was it.

All in all thanks for your help, Let me know when you head this way to see the inlaws.

Tony
6freak
What a guy will go through for a extra 1/2 inch lol-2.gif ........really it does look better
Tom
Tony,
They look good with your flares, and wider tires on the back. I think with a narrow body, they would look too big.
Are your old ones chrome? I could use them on my Triad for a little different look if you don't want them.
How is your spoiler on the trunk attached? Had one like that on my 70 years ago. Had it cut in half- removed a few inches so it just fit the width of the trunk lid- and had it glued in place.
How is the new V8 doing?
Tom
TC 914-8
QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 21 2009, 10:27 AM) *

Tony,
They look good with your flares, and wider tires on the back. I think with a narrow body, they would look too big.
Are your old ones chrome? I could use them on my Triad for a little different look if you don't want them.
How is your spoiler on the trunk attached? Had one like that on my 70 years ago. Had it cut in half- removed a few inches so it just fit the width of the trunk lid- and had it glued in place.
How is the new V8 doing?
Tom

Hi Tom, I cut the old ones in half to fit the new ones over them, Not worth passing them on. The new V-8 is good, We need to plan a West sound get together....
T
charliew
If the motor was bored oversize sbc's tend to run hotter the thinner the cylinderwalls get. Also a new motor will be hotter than a broken in motor. You might want to get a stethescope and listen to the stuff you suspect before you start taking things off. Even if the squeel is gone a dry bearing will sound really loud with a stethoscope. Also listen to the top bushing in the dist it can get dry setting, it will usually turn and get the motor out of time when it galls though. If you suspect bearings you can check the oil for residue you know.
TC 914-8
QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 22 2009, 07:56 AM) *

If the motor was bored oversize sbc's tend to run hotter the thinner the cylinderwalls get. Also a new motor will be hotter than a broken in motor. You might want to get a stethescope and listen to the stuff you suspect before you start taking things off. Even if the squeel is gone a dry bearing will sound really loud with a stethoscope. Also listen to the top bushing in the dist it can get dry setting, it will usually turn and get the motor out of time when it galls though. If you suspect bearings you can check the oil for residue you know.

Yep, I am dreading checking the oil. Oil Press is still strong though, so I am rulling out bearing issues,for now. I did think about Dist. but the noise came from the front of the engine. There was also a crunching noise along with the squeel. At this point, I would be happy to find water pump or Alt problems.....
I'll know more later this week.
Thanks for the input,
T
nsr-jamie
Looks awesome to me!! Anyway you can get a sound clip of the car starting up? That would be cool to hear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.