Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a paint book for dummies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JimmyG
Several years ago I saw a cook book for beginners that was pictures of cans then a + sign and a pic of a box to mix with the can then an = to show the final product.Pretty dang funny,but helpful if your mom always did the cooking for you.
I am going to paint my car and have NO experence doing that and need the same book with lots of pics and simple to understand reading to get me through it. I have bought several books at the local books a million and it is not simple enough for me and leaves many holes in the process. Not enough pics either.
Does anybody know of the thin and simple book I need from the primmer coat,through sanding and painting and polishing with LOTS of pics?
JG
tod914
Jim, I know around here at least, they offer adult nite classes in autobody at the vocational schools. Maybe something to consider.
JimmyG
QUOTE(tod914 @ Sep 20 2009, 06:12 AM) *

Jim, I know around here at least, they offer adult nite classes in autobody at the vocational schools. Maybe something to consider.

I have considered that. The problem I have is 3 girl children 10,9 &8. They want let me even go to the bathroom by myself! I was hoping for something to study around here before they get up. OH.. The joys of parenting.
my928s4
I expect there is a wealth of info out there but I found this useful

Paint Video

There is also a forum there too.

JimmyG
QUOTE(my928s4 @ Sep 20 2009, 06:56 AM) *

I expect there is a wealth of info out there but I found this useful

Paint Video

There is also a forum there too.

That's great Chris I just ordered the video. I want the car to look good so that should help.
Jimmy
etcmss
I did this too-learned and painted my own. Studied before-try Eastwood.com or general internet search. It really isn't hard once you get going.
Good air compressor that puts out volume needed for the gun. Preps-preps-preps are really important.
What they say about cover everything you don't want painted is really true. Take that time and you'll be pleased.
single application or base coat clear coat?
I kind of like the single coat-mine was metallic-Alaska blue- and make sure you cover well.
Several good coats, (in either application) pause between each and then do the clear coat (if needed). Again good coats
Anything can be sanded down, etc. 1000-1500 and 2000 (some go to 4000) sandpaper--takes time but polishes out well.
Eastwood does sell a combined package of (*) ice for polishing and finishing. It really worked well.
So I'm a dangerous amateur and am about to do it again.
Good luck keeping the kids out of the way--They'll want to help.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(JimmyG @ Sep 20 2009, 10:01 AM) *

Does anybody know of the thin and simple book I need from the primer coat, through sanding and painting and polishing with LOTS of pics?

Once a year or so Peterson Publications trots out a 'paint and bodywork' edition either as a 'special' to one of their standard publications or a separate 'book.' I've accumulated a couple of those, through the years.

They have a bunch of standard useful stuff, like guys holding sanding blocks...
The 'new' HVLP processes and LOV paint formulations have probably rendered everything I thought I had learned through the years obsolete, so I know I'll need new sprayers and conversations with suppliers.

If you can't find a Peterson 'Paint & Bodywork' special edition at your newsstand magazine rack, find a copy of 'Airbrush Action.' In there you'll find resources for custom paint, including pointers to suppliers for the 'House of Kolor' paint line, which has a pretty good reputation with the airbrush art crowd.

Whatever you do, you want to buy into a 'system' of compatible products - this is not an application where you can pick each individual component on its 'best-of-breed' characteristics. The formulation chemistries vary a lot and they are not all compatible. Pick a brand the works for you for some set of criteria that are meaningful to you and learn how to make the best of that.
VaccaRabite
I got this book a few years ago (link goes to the book on Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/How-Paint-Your-Motor...2186&sr=8-1

How to Paint Your Car
By Dennis Parks. Even has a 911 on the cover, but I think that is the last porsche picture in the book.

It was very helpful, though my to-the-metal paintjob still looks kinda amaturish. I am sure the second one I do will look even better. And the car looks loads better then it did when I bought it.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.