Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: will 911 window cranks fit my 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jk76.914
Does anyone know if the '66-'77 911 window cranks will fit the spline of my '76 window regulator? I'm in the home stretch on my interior assembly, and looking at options.

Thanks!
Jim

Click to view attachment
JWest
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Sep 21 2009, 04:13 AM) *

Does anyone know if the '66-'77 911 window cranks will fit the spline of my '76 window regulator? I'm in the home stretch on my interior assembly, and looking at options.

Thanks!
Jim

Click to view attachment

Yes, and you need to use the screw from the 911 also.
jk76.914
Thanks. I'll try and pick up a used one, with the cover, and see how she looks.

Jim
jk76.914
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!!!!

I picked up a pair of the earlier style chrome base type, with the plastic cover. And well, THE SPLINE DIDN'T FIT!!! But the good news is, the screw did!!

So I was able to get it to work. The spline has the correct number of teeth- 12, and the major diameter is correct. It's the minor diameter (the ID over the teeth) that is too small. So I drilled it out. Use a 27/64" drill bit, and drill down to the shoulder at the bottom of the spline. Then use a 7/16" bit and drill about 3/16" down into the spline. Last step- take a tiny triangular file and clean up the burrs covering the splines, and sharpen them while you're at it. Takes a few test fits and more filing, but it'll eventually fit.

I like it. Picture below-

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Looks nice! Thanks for the head's up on how to modify them for fit.
Sleepin
Looks good as well! Is there enough left of the splines to last rolling the windows up and down a few times?
Mark Henry
The 914 cranks are standard VW bug and can be picked up at a bug shop for about $4 each new.
jk76.914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 6 2009, 09:25 AM) *

The 914 cranks are standard VW bug and can be picked up at a bug shop for about $4 each new.

Not sure your point. I have a set, with Hella logo cast in even. They're pretty junky, even though they're brand new. The 911 piece is the same size (perspective makes it look smaller in the picture), but the combination of chrome and black, plus the fact that the handle is more substantial looking, gives it a more deluxe look in my eyes, and it fits with the black/chrome combo in the door handle.

To each his own.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.