Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: accelerator cable.. cofe what a pos
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Started a to install a new accelerator cable. Purchased a cofe brand cable. Not only is the hub on the cable that couples the tube on the fire wall too small to fit, the pos pulled off the sheath. Are OEM cables directly from Porsche any better?
Does the hub on the Terry Cable fit the tube on the fire wall properly? Trying to figure out the best option.

Thanks,
Tod
StratPlayer
I'm running a terry cable, had no problem installing it. It fit thru the tube without any problems.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(tod914 @ Sep 21 2009, 11:00 AM) *

Started a to install a new accelerator cable. Purchased a cofe brand cable. Not only is the hub on the cable that couples the tube on the fire wall too small to fit, the pos pulled off the sheath. Are OEM cables directly from Porsche any better?
Does the hub on the Terry Cable fit the tube on the fire wall properly? Trying to figure out the best option.

Thanks,
Tod

yup typical of these cables. ONLY use a GEMO. I made a comment about the sleeve over the tube in the "Tech Tips 700" book I wrote.
tod914
George is GEMCO one the Porsche Dealer sells? I see it listed on your site. Hoping to pick one up local tomorrow so I can get this wrapped up.
ghuff
Funny enough I broke a brand new gemo cable last night. The nipple that goes on top of the intake plenum broke when I was tightening the nut.

Just ordered a terry cable along with other misc bits from pelican.
IronHillRestorations
The threaded boss on a throttle cable should be tightened with your non-dominant pinky finger!

Years ago I did the same thing. and it's a pisser to ruin a brand new cable!

Funny sidebar - I had a shop about 50 miles from me plate some parts and I got 10-15 threaded cable ends from one of their bigger customers, and they are exactly like our cable ends! Too bad you can't put them on over the swaged ends!!
tat2dphreak
my gemo one pulled out of the sheath at the firewall, I went back with a Terry cable... much better
tod914
I finally found a local GEMO that someone had as a spare that I can pick up tomorrow. I'll give it shot. Can't be any worse than that Cofle.
Is there another access plate under the console itself? I removed the hinged center cushion section to access that plate. Can't recall if there is one further up towards the pedal cluster or not. Thanks.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(tod914 @ Sep 21 2009, 12:56 PM) *

I finally found a local GEMO that someone had as a spare that I can pick up tomorrow. I'll give it shot. Can't be any worse than that Cofle.
Is there another access plate under the console itself? I removed the hinged center cushion section to access that plate. Can't recall if there is one further up towards the pedal cluster or not. Thanks.

There are two access panels for the center tunnel, one at the very front and one at the rear. I like to use a flashlight and inspection mirror to make sure the cables are routed correctly, it's fairly easy to get a wrap around the clutch cable.
tod914
Thanks Perry. I'll have to pick up alittle mirror and try your method. Seems like quite a bird's nest of items routed through there.
ghuff
Most 914's by now from what I can see have had a hole cut up in front of the shifter then pushed back down for easier access.

I know mine has this and the few others I had looked at did as well.

That must have been a TSB or something in the 70's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.