Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.6 Fan/Alt hub 101
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
Decided to finally finish my single pulley conversion piece for the 3.6 motor. For those who don't know the 3.6, it uses two separate pulleys/belts for the fan and the Alt. The 914 motor mount doesn't allow for this and you have to convert to single pulley. You can buy the single hub from Patrick and I'm sure others, but if you have a lathe and a mill and a couple of hours to play........viola......

You make this:
East coaster
From this.........
East coaster
Here's with the fan/pulley.......
East coaster
Here's mounted and finished........
airsix
Lathe, mill, and from the looks of it - a keyway broach too.

Very slick. Machinists are cool.

-Ben M.
East coaster
No keyway broach, as there is no keyway! It's actually a pretty simple part. I saved the drawing in case anyone wants to make one.
thesey914
I thought that was a keyway too. I can see that it bolts to the crank and the "slot" cut is for the pulley -whats the correct terminology for it?
East coaster
They're actually just clearance cuts so you can access the pulley nuts with a socket. Without them the socket wont fit between the nut and the hub and you'd have to use a wrench. The 911 alt/fan belt is adjusted by adding spacers between the pulley halves. I couldn't imagine trying to deal with these nuts blindly with a wrench to change a belt once the motors in. These reliefs were cut with a 5/8" end mill bit.
East coaster
Sorry.......meant to attach this pic! Arrow shows the relief area around the nut.......
Mueller
Ben,

for an internal slot with 90° corners, a broach is used, for external, a small cutter similar to a saw blade used on your table saw is used (for woodruf keys and such)

looks nice, glad to see I am not the only nut here that wishes to make my own parts instead of buying them smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.