Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: buying turbo tie rods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
need to tighten up my sloppy front end. is this set of turbo tie rods a good one or should i look elsewhere

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...d=p4506.c0.m245
Cupomeat
Rich,

As with most things from Ebay, I just can't tell.

Certainly, the ones you want are the Lemfoerder ones which usually run about $195 from PP.

This would be a gamble, so with all things brake and steering related, I usually pass on gambles.

I hope that helps.
nycchef
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Sep 21 2009, 12:10 PM) *

Rich,

As with most things from Ebay, I just can't tell.

Certainly, the ones you want are the Lemfoerder ones which usually run about $195 from PP.

This would be a gamble, so with all things brake and steering related, I usually pass on gambles.

I hope that helps.

with me anything helps. thanks, will check out pp. do you know a reputable welder in out area.? also want to do my longs this winter
Cupomeat
Well, I'll ask the NNJR guys about welding shops in Northern NJ as I have TOMERIC do all my welding, but he is in upstate.

What are your plans for Longs? An Engman kit, or are you diving into the rust issue?
TROJANMAN
check with PMB (shea)
That's where I bought mine.......
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(nycchef @ Sep 21 2009, 01:05 PM) *

need to tighten up my sloppy front end. is this set of turbo tie rods a good one or should i look elsewhere

yes it is ok any of the regular suppliers can sell that kit to you. The only down side is that particular brand rots the rubber sooner than the lemforder brand.
gothspeed
I just bought a set of those ...... I will let you know if there are any problems .......... biggrin.gif
jimkelly
rot - this is what i have read before - sooner means much sooner - go lemforder - and save dollars in the short run.

--

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 21 2009, 01:30 PM) *

yes it is ok any of the regular suppliers can sell that kit to you. The only down side is that particular brand rots the rubber sooner than the lemforder brand.

nycchef
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 21 2009, 01:14 PM) *

rot - this is what i have read before - sooner means much sooner - go lemforder - and save dollars in the short run.

--

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 21 2009, 01:30 PM) *

thanks guys. there is enough rot under my car. not looking to install more. will go with lemforders

rfuerst911sc
Internet wisdom on various Porsche forums say that Lemfoerder last a long long time vs. all others. Some say the rubber bellows break down on the off brands as soon as weeks,months to less than a year.
Spoke
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Sep 21 2009, 07:05 PM) *

Internet wisdom on various Porsche forums say that Lemfoerder last a long long time vs. all others. Some say the rubber bellows break down on the off brands as soon as weeks,months to less than a year.

agree.gif

Buy turbo tie rods from the usual suspects: PP, AA, PMB. Buy Lemforder.
Dr Evil
Only use lemforodor (sp)

The others suck and do rot out very fast.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 21 2009, 03:37 PM) *

agree.gif

AA is certainly "suspect"
Now, if you are looking for a place to buy old "6" vins, that is another story.........

Did I just say that out loud? laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Sep 23 2009, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 21 2009, 03:37 PM) *

agree.gif

AA is certainly "suspect"
Now, if you are looking for a place to buy old "6" vins, that is another story.........

Did I just say that out loud? laugh.gif

av-943.gif lol-2.gif
StratPlayer
Just went through this crap today. I bought that set on ebay about 5 yrs ago, before I was aware the boots were crap. Changed the boots and ends today, I got what I needed to do the job from Eric Shea. The boots that I took out today were toast as well as the boots on the joints. I noticed a big difference after installing these in the way it felt and steered. Thanks Eric.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.